Hitter analysis question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hitter analysis question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hitter analysis question

Postby Dugout Diamonds » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 pm

I just read a thread about rating/analyzing pitchers by different statistics, such as K/, BB/, etc... and wondered what you guys use to rate hitters? Just seems like so many variables, that you have to take into consideration, it takes alot of reasearch, such as home park, avg, sb, etc...
I'm wondering how to rank batters for points lgs, that does not penalize for K's, or use avg. I know about position scarcity, but within a position, is total bases a good way to rank batters? Any thoughts?
Dugout Diamonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hitter analysis question

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:58 pm

For points leagues, you just apply the scoring to the projections and there you go.

For an overall, "Is this guy a good hitter" looking at Total Bases and OBP tells you a good bit.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:36 pm

It's necessary to look at everything you can find to get a clear picture. But the things I typically look at first are OPS, ISO, HR/FB, LD%, and contact rates.

I probably put the most weight in contact% and OPS. I think you can tell a lot about a hitter from those two.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Element » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:I probably put the most weight in contact% and OPS. I think you can tell a lot about a hitter from those two.

I agree with this. While there are a abundance of stats to weed through to see the overall picture, these two numbers are easy to calculate and understand. They'll give a very general idea of what a hitter is capable of. Typically, a contact% 80% or above is a positive thing.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:17 am

I like looking at K rate and BB rate to determine if a hitter is a safe pick or not. A guy like Jose Lopez has posted good numbers the last two years but he has a terrible BB rate (resulting in a terrible OBP) and one long prolonged slump could get him benched on a team that likes OBP and defense (which he does not have). He's screaming potential bust to me this year.

But for the most part this doesn't mean much in fantasy. One easy thing to look at regarding a player is their track record and how last year's BAPIP and HR/FB% compare vs their career. These two numbers should allow you to determine whether or not they can maintain last year's production.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:It's necessary to look at everything you can find to get a clear picture. But the things I typically look at first are OPS, ISO, HR/FB, LD%, and contact rates.

I probably put the most weight in contact% and OPS. I think you can tell a lot about a hitter from those two.

And what is considered a good or bad Contact%, HR/FB% and LD%?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:It's necessary to look at everything you can find to get a clear picture. But the things I typically look at first are OPS, ISO, HR/FB, LD%, and contact rates.

And what is considered a good or bad Contact%, HR/FB% and LD%?

LD% - League average is probably somewhere between 19-20% so anything above that would be good. Most people associate a high LD% with higher BABIP (and thus BA in general). Players who consistently hit a high percentage of LDs are putting their bat squarely on the ball often.

HR/FB% - Above 12-13% is good. You also have to relate this number to their corresponding FB%.

Contact% - An overall contact% above 80% is good.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers