An interesting draft theory - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

An interesting draft theory

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: An interesting draft theory

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 am

kab21 wrote:I think you'll be sabotaging your team more than creating positional scarcity by hoarding 4 3Bman. At the end of 4 rds I would not be thrilled to have very few SB's (except Wright's) and not have any up the middle players or OF'ers. Plus the likelihood of passing on better 1Bman than the 3Bman that you picked to fill CI/1B/UT slots.

Well, if he were able to Longoria, Wright, Youk, and Zimmerman, he'd very likely be getting the best players available, and I wouldn't worry about steals with so many good OF speedsters later on. But yeah, not having ANY flexibility the rest of the draft would scare the crap out of me. The next time a good value comes up, you'd have to let him go by or draft him for your bench and then you'd be forced to make a trade. If you thought you could navigate that minefield, it could work, but its risky.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby btb2007 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 am

If those 4 guys are the best value at your first 4 picks, then yeah go for it. It's an interesting idea, but if there is a top-flight MI or OF available, I think it'd be foolish to pass on them. I think drafting with the intention of hurting other teams as opposed to helping your own could backfire. I agree that 3B isn't that strong, so trying to get it taken care of early is a good idea, but this would be going a little too far.
10-team mixed h2h points league. Scoring: 1B=1 pt, 2B=2, 3B=3, HR=4, RBI=1, R=1, BB=1, SB=2, HBP=1; W=6, QS=4, IP=2, K=1, BB= -0.5, H= -0.5, ER= -1, HBP= -0.5, CG=5, SO=5, SAVE=8
btb2007
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby memito » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:19 am

btb2007 wrote:If those 4 guys are the best value at your first 4 picks, then yeah go for it. It's an interesting idea, but if there is a top-flight MI or OF available, I think it'd be foolish to pass on them. I think drafting with the intention of hurting other teams as opposed to helping your own could backfire. I agree that 3B isn't that strong, so trying to get it taken care of early is a good idea, but this would be going a little too far.

btb is spot on here. It might hurt you by ignoring other needs more than it will hurt other teams by stealing 3Bmen.

I like your thinking but I think it might be better to focus on stats versus position... this MIGHT work if you were somehow able to get THE top 4 pitchers (which would be impossible or involve a lot of luck) and played in a H2H league - even that is full of risk. I just think that the stats ultimately matter more than the position.
memito
College Coach
College Coach

Postby galante22 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

I think wright or longoria is a good value at 12 so i have no problem with that pick. im a big believer in gettin 4 solid bats wiht your first 4 picks. you can get alot of talent in the middle rounds at pitching. for example a guy like ubaldo jimenez will be there nd hes a potential top 10 pitcher. speed and OFers go hand in hand in the later rounds so idk why anybody would be concerned about that. you can easily get good OFers late in the draft. for example werth last year went how late nd become a stud. its all about doin your homework. no need to take a of in the first 4 rounds at all. you can get a guy like abreu or hunter later.a speed guy like bourne or bourbon wayyyyyyyy later. nd then another solid OF who can help contribute all around like maybe a carlos gonzalez, who has the potential to be a stud. i personally like the strategy except for this...
1)if your passing on a better overall player...if your takin a guy like youkilis while say matt holliday is there (unlikely but you get the point) your doin your team a real injustice and will only be hurting your team.
2)if your passing up on a elite middle infielder...if your passing up troy tulowitski just to draft another 3b again your hurting your team, you can argue that zimmerman is a better fantasy player but if you already have 2 3bs and no ss's i dont see how u can pass on tulowitski. liek you said 3b is shallow and if u get your hands on 2 or 3 of the top 9 or so your already going to be hurting other teams. you dotn need to have arguably 4 of the top 6 ya know. if u get two of these guys 3 or 4 teams will be lookin for a 3b as is

the other concern was mentioned and thats your felxibility through out the draft. if figgins falls to far you cant even go get him now and thats the one 3b who offers 30+ steals and a .300 average. sure you could draft him and hope to make a trade but i personally think you should draft the best player available in the first round, if longorias there go for him. wright is a solid pick here also. really depends on who goes before you. after that if a solid 3b is arguably one of the best players out there go for it. longoria and zimmerman is not a bad start to a fantasy team at all espically in a deepert league. then from there u can do what u need to nd youll get amazing value for longoria or zimmerman from one of the 5 teams or so who have a terrible 3b or a team that suffers a serious injury there. i wouldnt go in with the one intention of this style of drafting but if somehow u end up with 3 of these 4 guys on your roster i wouldnt complain at sall
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Maris09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Another way to do this that hasn't been mentioned yet is to overload on the 2nd/3rd level of third basemen, and try to turn them into greater value via trade that way.

For example maybe you take one semi early 3B for yourself (Zimmerman or something), then later you also grab Aramis, Beckham, Figgins, and Ian Stewart.

This way you are still keeping 3B's away from teams, you are still able to turn those guys into a better player via a possible trade, but you are also not limiting your first 4 selections to guys who all play the same position. I also think it may be easier to get increased value via trade when you're not trying to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There's only so much room to increase value with that high a pick, whereas moving someone drafted in rounds 6-10, you may be able to land a much better player from a desperate team.

Not sure I would go with either strategy though :-D
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby jonboy418 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 pm

After reading the proposed draft theory, I came away with one main initial thought:

With this strategy, you've picked up a bench player in the fourth round. I'm sorry, but a wasted fourth round draft pick is an epic failure.

I can't see how that's a good thing; never being able to play your first four draft picks together during the season. I would suggest following the advice from others and help your team as opposed to hurting the other teams.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 pm

jonboy418 wrote:After reading the proposed draft theory, I came away with one main initial thought:

With this strategy, you've picked up a bench player in the fourth round. I'm sorry, but a wasted fourth round draft pick is an epic failure.

I can't see how that's a good thing; never being able to play your first four draft picks together during the season. I would suggest following the advice from others and help your team as opposed to hurting the other teams.

Players like Reynolds, Youk, and Sandoval can also be used at 1B.
Therefore you could play them all simultaneously:

drob681 wrote:Would I be crazy to try and target all the top 3B with my first 4 picks? Wright could fill the 3B spot, Longoria the CI, Youkilis or Sandoval could go to 1B, and then Zimmerman at UTIL?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Maris09 wrote:Another way to do this that hasn't been mentioned yet is to overload on the 2nd/3rd level of third basemen, and try to turn them into greater value via trade that way.

For example maybe you take one semi early 3B for yourself (Zimmerman or something), then later you also grab Aramis, Beckham, Figgins, and Ian Stewart.

This way you are still keeping 3B's away from teams, you are still able to turn those guys into a better player via a possible trade, but you are also not limiting your first 4 selections to guys who all play the same position. I also think it may be easier to get increased value via trade when you're not trying to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There's only so much room to increase value with that high a pick, whereas moving someone drafted in rounds 6-10, you may be able to land a much better player from a desperate team.

I don't think that hoarding a position is ever actually a good idea. You are going to leave yourself with holes that are bigger than the ones you think you are creating for other teams. Sure in theory you can trade those guys for players that are drafted 2 rounds earlier and you think you have leverage, but what are you going to do when the other guy points out that you can't play all of those guys anyway so they're rather useless to you. I really don't think you should draft anyone with any intention other than using them on your own team.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby galante22 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:21 pm

guys hes able to use them all! a 3b, a utility, a corner infield, and youk and pablo have 1b eligibility
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:21 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Another way to do this that hasn't been mentioned yet is to overload on the 2nd/3rd level of third basemen, and try to turn them into greater value via trade that way.

I don't think that hoarding a position is ever actually a good idea. You are going to leave yourself with holes that are bigger than the ones you think you are creating for other teams. Sure in theory you can trade those guys for players that are drafted 2 rounds earlier and you think you have leverage, but what are you going to do when the other guy points out that you can't play all of those guys anyway so they're rather useless to you. I really don't think you should draft anyone with any intention other than using them on your own team.

I think you're missing the point of the OP strategy/plan: you WOULD be playing all the guys, not leaving guys on your bench. In that case, the other owner doesn't have one over on you in trade negotiations. If anything, you would have some flexibility in trade negotiations because you could trade a lesser 3B for an upgrade at 1B.

The problem really is that you leave yourself no flexibility, either during the draft or during the season (unless you do trade one 3B away) - you better draft really well (and get lucky) or else you'll have to let go by a 1B, 3B, CI, or Utility player who is a better value than the guy you are forced to draft.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers