How to make my league more competitive? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to make my league more competitive?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to make my league more competitive?

Postby scepter910 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 am

I'm trying to tweak my 10 team 5x5 rotisserie league in a way to keep it more competitive. It seems each year about half way through the season some teams are so far out that they have no chance of catching up and makes the competition weak and people give up. Do you guys have any suggestions to help keep it more even throughout the season? This is what my setup is

BATTERS: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL

PITCHERS: I have 8 slots with 162 start limit

5 BENCH SLOTS AND 2 DL SLOTS

Any suggestions? Should I lower the start limit for pitchers? Lessen the amount of players? Add more stats? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
scepter910
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to make my league more competitive?

Postby GreenMtn! » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:41 am

Is this a keeper league? If it is, you could penalize managers that become inactive by docking them one keeper or something to that effect.

If it's not a keeper league, I'd just suggest finding better managers.
GreenMtn!
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:54 am

I'd think using more positions might help a little, at least add a corner & middle infield spot. In a league that small you really don't have to have many players do well to succeed. Make it tougher for the teams to field such a dominant squad and level the field a little.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Pochucker » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 am

looks like you have two choices --go to h2h or get new managers
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:28 am

You don't say if you are using one league or both for your player pool. If you are using both NL and AL, there is not reason everyone can't have a competitive team with only ten Owners. Everyone in the Fantasy League would be a star.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby scepter910 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Sorry guys. Its not a keeper league and I am using both AL and NL players! DO you think 162 starts for Pitchers is a bit high? I want keep people from streaming, but I also dont want pitchers value to be very low. I was thinking about limiting moves to say about 100 for teh season, but I also dont want this to be a dead league also. I just get so many complaints each year from teams saying if they get to far behind they can never catch up and then they quit half way through the season

Thanks
scepter910
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Your problem is strickly mathmatics. You are using every MLB player in your talent pool. That means there will be 30 MLB teams time 5 starters or 150 pitchers to choose from. Your Fantasy League only uses 80 starting pitchers. Ten teams times 8 active. That leaves 70 starting pitchers to stream. That is the problem. You need to either add more Fantasy Teams or use your player pool to one league. If you cut down the quality of free agent pitchers, no one will pick them up and streaming will be cut down also.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:23 pm

It's not a math problem, it's incentive. If you have the same owners every year, you need to come up with ways to keep the bad tams interested all year long. Go to an auction based system and use keepers. If you don't go to an auction based system, allow the trading of draft picks for the upcoming year. Have a toilet bowl with a prize (doesn't have to be an actual physical or monetary prize. An ewxtra draft pick in the second round or something like that. ;) )

get creative.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner