Commissioner Wants to Switch Keeper Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commissioner Wants to Switch Keeper Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Commissioner Wants to Switch Keeper Rules

Postby pjalst » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm curious to know who the Commissioner's keeper candidates are?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

We've created our own league. If our commissioner, peace be upon him, wants to adhere to a vote then we are completely fine allowing him to continue to commish our league. If not, well, we'll find a replacement.

That is a plan that will work very well.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby saintdrew » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Hey everyone,

I just created an account with Fantasy Cafe and I'm excited to talk ideas with you all.

However, on the subject that stickkeys wrote about his commissioner wanting to switch keeper rules...

I know stickkeys very well, AND I play in the same league he's talking about, and I just want to clear up some things before you all agree to his one-sided argument.

First off, I saw that someone replied saying that the commissioner probably has awful keepers, which I found it funny that stickkeys did not include our commissioners keepers.

commissioners keepers are:
hanley ramirez(4th rounder)
prince fielder (2nd rounder)
zach greinke (7th rounder)
tim lincecum (19th rounder)

...ok obviously he doesn't have terrible keepers.

the truth of the matter is that stickkeys along with 2 other players in our league, have been relentless atgoing against the new keeper change. their reasons for changing is because it won't help the league since it's "complicating" and "too complex" to just name a couple of reasons. The truth of the matter is that they love their keepers that's the ONLY reason they don't want a change.

I'm at the point now where I could care less if we end up having 2 keepers or 4, I just want to play. But the fact is, is that only THREE managers in our league do not want the rules to change because they have the best keepers. Our commissioner wants to change the rules to 2 keepers because he feels like it would more competitive since perennially our baseball league ends up with two or three teams that can win, and everyone else is already out of the race by June.

Our commissioner wants to do this to makes things more even. It's nothing personal, he's just changing things up.

Look, stickkeys won the baseball league last year, so obviously he doesn't want any changes. not saying this means he's being punished but he's only concerned with himself.

Oh, and three of our players never pay attention to our leagues, they draft their team, maybe pick up and drop a free agent--and that's it. stickkeys and others have called them so they can say "yes" to their question that will go toward their "league vote."

As for me, I finished sub-par last year, was in first place for over a month, then injuries led to my demise. and like I said, I don't care if our league makes it 2 or 4 keepers, but I just wanted to clear up some stuff for you guys because stickkeys post is a one-sided comment, thoroughly written to help his argument.
saintdrew
T-Ball Trainer

Postby saintdrew » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:06 pm

OH...by the way...this league that stickkeys and i are in....

WE DO NOT PAY ANYTHING TO PLAY...

this is one reason why i'm so confused to why they care so much about this...we do not even play for money...so who cares.

you know if we were playing money, I would totally be against the keeper change, because it's way to late to make a drastic change like that, but since we do NOT pay any money...who cares???
saintdrew
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Even if it is a free league, the Commish is CHEATING by changing the rules just because he wants to. He is the Commish, not a Dictator. I would quit the league pretty fast.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby RDD15 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:51 am

Even if only three managers in this league are opposed to the change, the change should not be made. If every last owner is not fine with the change, then it is unethical to chance the rules at this time.

It is my feeling that in a keeper league, ANY rules change that is not unanimous should be announced at least one year before it takes effect. I also believe that no rules change should occur without at least a majority favoring change. If 5 vote for a new rule, and 5 vote against it, then no rule change. Ties favor the existing system.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Keeper league rule changes should be voted upon. Honestly any changes to the way keepers are done should probably be made well in advance of the upcoming season, because some owners think strtegically and make moves for the upcoming year as far as a year in advance. You need to take that into consideration before making sweeping changes to the objections of your owners. The lack of invested money doesn't mean the owners haven't invested their own time and caring into their team, which for some people is worht more than a $100 league entry fee.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby stickkeys108 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Saintdrew is good people and a good fantasy player.

However, where I disagree with him is that I'm slanting this argument. If that were the case I would have mentioned the MANY shady incidents that have occurred on behalf of our commissioner, peace be upon him. The fact is that I didn't include that b/c I wanted an uninfluenced opinion by people who have no connection to our league. I got that.

In the interest of full disclosure, our commissioner responded to our e-mail vote with this:

"Is this your lives? I'm trying to make this more
competitive for everyone. Only three teams have a chance to win with 4
keepers. Me, [blank], and [blank]. This is for C O M P E T I T I O N. If
everyone has two everyone has a chance to win. If we have 4 keepers i
guarantee you it will finish [blank] me and [blank] 123 in some order.
People will stop caring after a month. But [blank] and [blank] don't care
because they want to WIN. And obviously this is the thing that gets
their [expletive] hard so their doing everything in their power to have a
league with 4 keepers and the best chance for them to win. This is
really weird how you've started another league just so you have the
best chance to win. It's a phallic victory but you don't seem to care.
And it's [expletive] weird."

I get what he's saying. Everyone does. But this is the same guy who has won the league before and has made very shady deals during the season that have thrust his team to victory in the past. So, saying that two of us only care about winning is fairly short sighted.

I also don't believe the whole argument that just b/c we have the best keepers that the three of us will automatically finish in the Top 3. God forbid an injury occurs.
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stickkeys108 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:24 pm

And to assist the argument, here are the PROJECTED four keepers for each team in our league. I still don't see anyone at a huge disadvantage.

Team 1: (My team)
Matt Kemp (11)
Justin Morneau (22)

Dan Haren (9)
Justin Verlander (12)

Team 2:
Albert Pujols (1)
Justin Upton (12)

Roy Halladay (4)
Chris Carpenter (16)

Team 3: (Commissioner)
Prince Fielder (1)
Hanley Ramirez (4)

Zach Greinke (10)
Tim Lincecum (22)

Team 4:
Adrian Gonzalez (10)
Evan Longoria (19)

Felix Hernandez (5)
David Price (20)

Team 5:
Joey Votto (11)
Adam Jones (19)

Adam Wainwright (10)
Jair Jurjjens (18)

Team 6:
Dustin Pedroia (16)
Mark Reynolds (22)

Cole Hamels (3)
Tommy Hanson (21)

Team 7:
Alex Rodriguez (1)
Kevin Youkilis (22)

CC Sabathia (9)
Matt Cain (11)

Team 8:
Chase Utley (1)
Jayson Werth (14)

Josh Johnson (17)
Cliff Lee (22)

Team 9:
David Wright (2)
Ryan Braun (22)

Yovani Gallardo (21)
UNKNOWN

Team 10:
Manny Ramirez (2)
Joe Mauer (4)

Jonathan Broxton (11)
Neftali Feliz (22)
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RDD15 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Yeah, it's four damn keepers. This is an incredibly shallow amount of keepers compared to other leagues. If you are going to only have two keepers, why not just redraft completely?

The bottom line for me is that the guy is trying to change the number of keepers in a keeper league at the last minute. That sort of change needs at least one full year to allow owners to adjust fairly.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner