Commissioner Wants to Switch Keeper Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commissioner Wants to Switch Keeper Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Commissioner Wants to Switch Keeper Rules

Postby stickkeys108 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm in a 10-team, Yahoo, 5x5, Roto, very competitive league.

Anyhow, the past two seasons, our commissioner has stated that it is a 4-keeper league with two pitchers and two hitters. Now, a month before our draft, he miraculously decides that we're going to change to two keepers.

Quite a few people in the league obviously do not want this change so close before the season. We've even said that if you want to change it then announce it now and implement it for 2011 b/c all of us made moves during the season based on the fact that we were going to have four keepers.

Our commissioner's reasoning behind changing this is b/c he thinks that people who don't have good keepers are at an unfair disadvantage.

Our response is that those people should have participated more during the season to make trades and acquire quality keepers. The league shouldn't be punished b/c one person doesn't have any solid pitching keepers to speak of.

What do you guys feel is the best answer to this situation?
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commissioner Wants to Switch Keeper Rules

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:46 pm

The only way that a change should be made is by a League Vote, majority rules. His reasoning about some teams having bad keepers is a bunch of crap. It sounds like to me that HE has bad keepers. You should contact the other owners and find out how many don't want the change and the go to the Commish and tell him to play by the rules or find some more owners.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:06 pm

I'd say it could be changed only with unanimous vote. If you do majority rules, you only need half plus one who didn't play for next year. Teams being disadvantaged because they don't have great keepers is kind of the point of having a keeper system.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fast dogs » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:05 am

How bad can any teams keepers be in a 10 team 4 keeper league? They knew last year how to prepare for the following season; you can't change the rules in a major way in the offseason when you've spent 2 years playing 1 way. This 1's real easy, either you play with the rules in place that you had last year or you find a different league to play in.If you want to announce changes to take effect in 2011, fine. It might be time to find another league anyway if the commish thinks this is ok...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 316)

Postby SumG » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:53 am

A Commish should be there to regulate disputes between managers and oversee the day to day business of the league, not unilaterally make massive changes to the league. A rule change as large as this should be put up to a league vote.

I agree with the above that the rule change, unless unanimous, should also not go into effect until the following season. Too much strategy could have into trades based on having four keepers that it would be unfair to the managers who played by the rules to change them now.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:22 am

I am the Commish of a Kepper League. I had the opposite happen of the above. The league decided to vote in July on a Keeper change for the next year. This way it would give everyone time to adjust to the new rule. There was one Owner who was very vocal that this was the wrong to do it. He thought we should wait until the off season to discuss the change. Everyone has different ideas...........
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stickkeys108 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:40 pm

You guys are basically mirroring our thoughts, too.

Apparently, our commissioner is refusing to hold a vote and just make the change regardless of what the league wants.

Pretty weak, huh?
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pjalst » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:44 pm

stickkeys108 wrote:You guys are basically mirroring our thoughts, too.

Apparently, our commissioner is refusing to hold a vote and just make the change regardless of what the league wants.

Pretty weak, huh?

Sounds like a Dictatorship to me
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Your Commish does not have a league if you guys don't play. If you have not paid the money, I would hold up on it until this is clear.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stickkeys108 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Our league members took a rogue vote through e-mail, phone, and text and got six votes for 4-Keepers and three votes for 2-Keepers. One guy didn't respond, but regardless the majority still prefers 4-Keepers.

I purposely didn't post any previous information about our commissioner so that you guys would respond without any influence from me.

It's kind of funny how you've all hit the nail on the head.

We've created our own league. If our commissioner, peace be upon him, wants to adhere to a vote then we are completely fine allowing him to continue to commish our league. If not, well, we'll find a replacement.
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner