Players in Contract Year 2010 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players in Contract Year 2010

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Players in Contract Year 2010

Postby rotoquest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 am

Every year we see many players step it up because they are in their contract year. This extra motivation is not a solid key to drafting all players in this situation, but there are usually some that standout as legitimate targets. I'm hoping that cafe members can provide links to this information, and /or share players that they may be targeting based on potential extra stats from a contract year. Thanks for your help in advance.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Players in Contract Year 2010

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:51 am

RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Steve-o » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 am

I actually read that it's more important to look at who signed a big contract and is playing in their first year of that contract rather than who is playing for the big contract. Something like 60% of players who signed big contracts play worse in their first year of that contract then their average performance. Makes some intuitive sense to me - take it a little easier because you are financially secure.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 am

Steve-o wrote:I actually read that it's more important to look at who signed a big contract and is playing in their first year of that contract rather than who is playing for the big contract. Something like 60% of players who signed big contracts play worse in their first year of that contract then their average performance. Makes some intuitive sense to me - take it a little easier because you are financially secure.

Yeah, this is the only solid statistical evidence I've seen. The usual focus on guys in a contract year doesn't seem to be supported by the data--maybe guys are just as likely to press and fail as step up and succeed in a contract year, and there's no one to predict who will be one or the other.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby rotoquest » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:54 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:This might help you: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/2 ... gents.html.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I actually read that it's more important to look at who signed a big contract and is playing in their first year of that contract rather than who is playing for the big contract. Something like 60% of players who signed big contracts play worse in their first year of that contract then their average performance. Makes some intuitive sense to me - take it a little easier because you are financially secure.

I totally believe this point about players easing up in the first year of a contract, just like I believe that players try harder in the last year of a contract. Though I won't be targeting Jacque Jones from the list above, their are some notable players that could provide bonus value.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Return to Baseball Leftovers