Hey Hort - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Hey Hort

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hey Hort

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:48 pm

If you're serious about running or getting into some kind of routine let me ask you:

1- have you run before? If so what kind of running ie at what level and when?
2- what are your goals? Run a certain distance, enter a certain race, weight loss, general fitness etc
3- what is your general fitness level now?
4- how active are you now and what other activities do you participate in?
4 - any injuries?
5 - how old are you?
6 - how much do you weigh?
7- where were you planning on running? Track, trails or roads? What do you have around you?
8- lastly how much time do you have for this? Once a week, 2 or 3 times a week?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hey Hort

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:41 pm

1- i haven't run off the treadmill regularly since, eh, 2005. at that point i was doing 4 - 5 miles per day 5 days a week or so.
2- my general goal is fitness and shedding extra pounds. i also enjoy running when i'm in shape and reach that 'high' so there's that as well. if i get back into it enough i'd love to do some local races, but one step at a time.
3- right now i've been going to the gym 6 days a week since thanksgiving, so things are coming around. i do 40 minutes of cardio on a treadmill or elliptical every day, along with lifting and working with personal trainers from time to time
4- again, gym 6 days a week, i've been doing the classes at gold's (body pump, body combat) typically once a week and plan on doing some rpm/spin in the near future. been playing pick-up basketball on fridays for the past few weeks. i try to have sex as frequently as possible.
4- no. i get shin splints from time to time, but otherwise all of my past injuries were to my upper body, save a fractured hip 10 years ago that never bothers me.
5- 25
6- 244 lbs.
7- i work at a HS so i can use the track there when the spring team isn't on it, or the track at the HS by my house. we have a great rail trail/bike path that just opened last spring, or i can run on the local roads, which i've done before.
8- depending on how things go, between 4 and 6 times per week, once the air is warm enough that my lungs don't feel like collapsing

PS - absolutely hysterical that we're using this forum for this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:35 am

It seems like you are already in good shape. 40 mins of cardio 6 days a week is a lot. Do you find the elliptical really easy compared to the treadmill?

If you start off really slow, say at a 10 minute mile, which is a fast jog or a really slow run, going out 4 times a week for 40 minutes a time is 16 miles a week which is pretty good. If you used to do 25 miles a week though I think that you can handle something above a beginners program.

The main thing with the intermediate runner is the long run. 2-3 short runs during the week and then a long run, usually double, on the weekend. You can skip a short run during the week but not the long run. With your history and the fitness level that you are at right now you would be ready for a 10K by week 7 or 8 and if you really do run 4-6 per week and you can do 40 minutes of cardio without stopping right now, you could do a half marathon by the end of the summer no problem.

This is what I suggest to start with:

Week 1
Mon: 3 mi (at least 30 mins so if you run faster you might do 3.5mi)
Tues: 3 mi
Weds: 3mi
Thurs: cross train
Fri: rest
Sat: 6mi
Sun: rest

Do this for 3 weeks and if/when you can do the 6mi without getting exhausted or you can do it in under an hour move up to:

Week 4
Mon: 4mi
Tues: 5mi
Weds: 4mi
Sat: 8-10mi

If you hit this mark by week 4-6 then you are ready for a 10k.

Your outdoor track is 400m so 5mi is 19 times around the track. You will get bored pretty quick so scout out some nice roads. They should be flat. Once you hit the 1o mi weekend runs you can start working in hill and interval training.

The other thing is that you are a big guy and this is a lot of running so I would suggest some good shoes. Good stabilizing shoes are important for bigger guys. A stabilizing or motion control shoe keeps your foot in the right position which is important for big guys. You should probably go to the running room and have them examine your stride to see what kind of shoe is right for you. It's not essential that you do that right away but when you start hitting the longer distances the wrong shoe can lead to injuries.

I hope that helps and I hope that you keep me updated on your progress ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:It seems like you are already in good shape. 40 mins of cardio 6 days a week is a lot. Do you find the elliptical really easy compared to the treadmill?

It's immeasurably easier.

If you start off really slow, say at a 10 minute mile, which is a fast jog or a really slow run, going out 4 times a week for 40 minutes a time is 16 miles a week which is pretty good. If you used to do 25 miles a week though I think that you can handle something above a beginners program.

The main thing with the intermediate runner is the long run. 2-3 short runs during the week and then a long run, usually double, on the weekend. You can skip a short run during the week but not the long run. With your history and the fitness level that you are at right now you would be ready for a 10K by week 7 or 8 and if you really do run 4-6 per week and you can do 40 minutes of cardio without stopping right now, you could do a half marathon by the end of the summer no problem.

This is what I suggest to start with:

Week 1
Mon: 3 mi (at least 30 mins so if you run faster you might do 3.5mi)
Tues: 3 mi
Weds: 3mi
Sat: 6mi

Do this for 3 weeks and if/when you can do the 6mi without getting exhausted or you can do it in under an hour move up to:

Week 4
Mon: 4mi
Tues: 5mi
Weds: 4mi
Sat: 8-10mi

If you hit this mark by week 4-6 then you are ready for a 10k.

Your outdoor track is 400m so 5mi is 19 times around the track. You will get bored pretty quick so scout out some nice roads. They should be flat. Once you hit the 1o mi weekend runs you can start working in hill and interval training.

The other thing is that you are a big guy and this is a lot of running so I would suggest some good shoes. Good stabilizing shoes are important for bigger guys. A stabilizing or motion control shoe keeps your foot in the right position which is important for big guys. You should probably go to the running room and have them examine your stride to see what kind of shoe is right for you. It's not essential that you do that right away but when you start hitting the longer distances the wrong shoe can lead to injuries.

I hope that helps and I hope that you keep me updated on your progress ;-D

I'm gonna take this all in and come back to it in a little while. Thanks!
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Return to Toronto Blue Jays