How can I make my h2h league better? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How can I make my h2h league better?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How can I make my h2h league better?

Postby tonyallenforprez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm a new (2nd year) commish and I'd like to improve my league. Last year I used the following settings for a 16 team h2h league which I copied from a league I got introduced to in 2008. It was pretty fun, though the draft was long and there weren't many people left in FA. I'm assuming 16 players is a big league and that has a lot to do with it.

16 teams, 9x9, H2H, snake draft, categories are:
R,1B,2B,3B,HR,BB,AVG,SB,RBI - W,L,S,HLD,BB,SO,k/9,WHIP,ERA
roster spots are:
C,1B,2B,3B,SS,CI,MI,OF,OF,OF,UTIL, SP,SP,SP,RP,RP,RP,P,P,P,P, 6 Bench!
No waivers, Trades on league votes(2 days), No min-max transactions, 25 IP minimum, Yahoo can't cut list

The question is, is there anything obviously wrong with this setup that I haven't noticed? The draft is going to be long and probably go up to the 400s, maybe 2-3 hours I guess. Last year there were 8 bench spots and 2 util spots. I took one util out and 2 bench out to maybe make the draft a bit more manageable. Another thing I'm considering is expanding the league to 18 teams. Should I take out a util slot or maybe take out the CI and MI slots to compensate for the extra teams? Is adding teams a bad thing for any reason? I want to make the league slightly casual although there are a handful of good players in the league. Should I raise or lower the minimum IP? Honestly any advice on how to run a big (16-18+ team) snake draft h2h league is appreciated - Sorry guys, only been doing this for a few years, I'd love some tips from the veterans out there ^^
Last edited by tonyallenforprez on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyallenforprez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How can I make my h2h league better?

Postby tonyallenforprez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Is there any disadvantage in having so many categories(9x9)? I see most leagues have only 5 or 6. Also I'm on yahoo.
tonyallenforprez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MTUCache » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Not sure I'm much more experienced than you, but I've got some thoughts on it...

I don't think I 'd join a league with these kinds of settings. Seems like a TON of guys to be drafting for a league that's supposed to be casual.

16 teams is fine. I like that actually because there's a clear separation between those who know what they're doing and those who don't.

9x9 H2H is just crazy. Offensively, 8 counting stats is completely redundant. No reason I can think of to have separate stats for 1B/2B/3B/BB. You could drop all these and put OBP or Total Bases in there. I'd be pretty pissed to win HR/RBI/R/AVG in a week just to lose to a guy who loads up on 3B/SB hitters.

Pitching-wise you've got 3 percentage stats and 2 negative stats, combine that with having both Saves and Holds, and there's no reason I can think of why you wouldn't just punt W/K and load up on as many closers and setup guys as you could get. With a 25IP minimum, having any more innings than that would be silly, you're risking losing L,BB,K/9,WHIP,ERA just to have a chance at grabbing a few W,Ks. Any starters outside of the top-tier would be an unnecessary risk, I probably wouldn't make more than 2 starts per week to go along with my 7+ RPs. :-b

R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OBP - W(orQS)/K/SV/H/ERA/WHIP (6x6) is my favorite.

Need to even out those cats. In a H2H league it's far too easy to punt categories completely to take advantage of all those neg/% categories in pitching especially.

Roster spots are debatable in a league that big. I'm assuming you forgot the SS, and I'm a little confused why you'd have 7 IF spots and only 3 OF spots +1 Utility. If you're stuck on the MI/CI then you should probably bump the OF up to 5 to even it out, but I prefer leagues without the MI/CI anyway. I prefer the C/1/2/3/SS/OF/OF/OF/Util-10 hitter setup. That's only 160 hitters in your league, rather than 200+ you'd get with 13 or 15 hitters. Pitchers are fine, but those benches are huge. I hope you're not using IR spots as well.

No Waivers? Why not??? This seems like an abuse waiting to happen. You don't have guys putting in add/drops at 3AM for the callups doing this? Seems like Waiver Priority is the only way to stop the 24/7 players from totally dominating the casual guys.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tonyallenforprez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. I fixed the SS error. Taking your advice I've trimmed the categories down to R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OBP,SLG - W,SV,HLD,K,WHIP,ERA,k/9 and changed the hitters to C,1,2,3,ss,3OF,2Util. About the waivers, I'm not too worried about people dominating or streaming, people in the league don't really mind.

What do you think about the pitching though?> Last year with 3SP,3RP,4P I found myself having too many saves and not enough holds. Should I increase it to 4RP? And you said 6 bench players is a lot of bench players...is 4 closer to the norm? 8 last year didn't seem too much of a problem, I'd have 3 people on my offensive bench and an assortment of SP and RP for 5 pitching bench slots, obviously this changed at different times during the season.
tonyallenforprez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby tonyallenforprez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Sorry for the doublepost but also: what do you guys think about replacing OBP with BB? Is a bit OBP redundant because of AVG? I actually like OBP but it might hurt teams who have players which don't walk a lot but hit for high average instead of just rewarding BBs.
tonyallenforprez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MTUCache » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 pm

tonyallenforprez wrote:What do you think about the pitching though?> Last year with 3SP,3RP,4P I found myself having too many saves and not enough holds.

Are you using weekly moves or daily moves? This will make a big deal when you start talking about bench spots. If you can cycle the pitchers daily from your bench to your rotation, then it doesn't really matter, but if you're locking down the rosters for an entire week then the starting spots you designate become pretty important and the bench spots are almost completely useless for anything other than storing prospects or injured players.

The easiest way is just to have 7-9 generic "P" spots and let the manager decide who they want to stick in there. But, if you want to force the SP/RP issue, I don't think there's anything wrong with 3SP/3RP/?P.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:41 pm

tonyallenforprez wrote:Sorry for the doublepost but also: what do you guys think about replacing OBP with BB? Is a bit OBP redundant because of AVG? I actually like OBP but it might hurt teams who have players which don't walk a lot but hit for high average instead of just rewarding BBs.

Similarly, how would you feel with doing away with AVG and just using Hits?

All the sudden you're rewarding quantity far more than quality. It becomes more important to get any warm body (no matter who it is) in there on other players' days off than it does to get the right players. That's the whole reason for the averaging categories... I dunno know though, I guess BB could work, it just seems like a rather silly stat to make equal to something like Homeruns or RBIs (not that OBP is that much better, but at least the other stats can contribute to the percentile stat, rather than being completely separate like SB are).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tonyallenforprez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm using daily moves. Using your advice and some of the reasearch I've done on this site I've come up with a few different sets of settings I could use.

6x6 instead of 7x7,
for hitting:
R,HR,AVG,SB,RBI,OPS OR
HR,AVG,BB,XBH,SB,RBI

The first set includes OPS which accounts for slugging and OBP, but it seems to punish you for having "slap hitters" who hit 300 but as a bunch of singles. Basically, fillers who contribute AVG which are always going to be present in a 16 team league. I'm leaning toward the second set which doesn't punish you for having slap hitters but rewards those OPS characteristics as well in the totals statistics of bb and xbh.

for pitching:
W,K,SV,WHIP,ERA,k/BB OR
W,K,SV,holds,ERA,k/BB

This boils down to which stat is preffered, WHIP or holds. I like holds because without them middle relief becomes useless, and in a 16 team league MR are used more frequently. But I like whip because no other stats account for hits given up, which pretty much makes it the best efficiency stat. Which one would you guys prefer/pick?
tonyallenforprez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby tonyallenforprez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I also am not the biggest fan of runs as a stat. It's lineup dependent.
tonyallenforprez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MTUCache » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:36 pm

tonyallenforprez wrote:Which one would you guys prefer/pick?

I like the first set of categories for offense, I have a dislike for categories like XBH/TB/etc... I can see their usefulness, but they just don't feel like something you'd use to really get a feel for the value or skill of a player. Admittedly, OPS isn't exactly intuitive either, and also isn't the best predictor of skill or value, but personally I think it makes more sense to have that as an averaging category.

For pitching I really enjoy leagues with Holds, as it gives you so many more options and routes to use to draft and build your team, so I'd lean towards the second. But if I had my choice I'd rather drop K/BB than WHIP to fit in the Holds. You're already rewarding the high-K pitchers with a strikeout category, and it's not like you're really punishing everybody by using WHIP instead. W/SV/H/K/ERA/WHIP is my preferred setup for Pitching (again, this is all just my personal preference here, you really should get some feedback from other people and your players).

As for runs being lineup dependent... every category is when it comes down to it. You think Pujols is going to get 40+HR without Holiday protecting him? You think a pitcher's Win total isn't going to be dropped by 3-4 per year because he pitches for a weak-hitting team? That's just part of the game, and why certain players are valued more highly than others. That value of their team/position is already factored into the projections that most sites use anyway. It's not your fault if somebody ends up with an entire team full of Nationals, is it?
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner