Ws vs QSs! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ws vs QSs!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ws vs QSs!

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:43 am

Holds are a very dangerous stat. They devalue pitching as a whole in a sport where hitting is already overvalued. Leagues with holds are almost universally poor leagues to be honest.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 am

Ender wrote:Holds are a very dangerous stat. They devalue pitching as a whole in a sport where hitting is already overvalued. Leagues with holds are almost universally poor leagues to be honest.

The best stat that I've created, and I've said this here in the past, is a REL (Relief) Stat.

It's Saves - Blown Saves + Holds + Reliever Wins - Reliever Losses.

It means that a closer who comes in and blows the save but whose team pulls it out for him in the bottom of the inning is not rewarded. Also it smooths out the value differential between closers and set-up men. An elite closer will still be worth more since they'll notch 40+ saves and the top holds guy will only get around 30 but an elite setup man has a higher overall value than a garbage closer who might tally a few more REL but it's at the expense of ERA, WHIP, and K's.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am

Yeah I like that idea Matthias. I've been wishing Yahoo would at least add holds+saves which is a very feesible stat to use as well.

To qualify my post before anyone who likes the stats get offended. I'm not saying people who use holds are bad at fantasy, I'm saying they mess up the structure of the league in a way that I don't like the league setup. The only way to makes holds work by themselves are to add some sort of stat to hitters that lowers the value of power hitters. Something like K as a negative works ok.

Starting pitchers already only contribute to 80% of the stats, when you add holds they only contribute to 66% of them. In leagues that do something like OPS and Holds you have good hitters contributing to 100% and pitchers only 66%. It crushes the value of the SP.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Ender wrote:Yeah I like that idea Matthias. I've been wishing Yahoo would at least add holds+saves which is a very feesible stat to use as well.

To qualify my post before anyone who likes the stats get offended. I'm not saying people who use holds are bad at fantasy, I'm saying they mess up the structure of the league in a way that I don't like the league setup. The only way to makes holds work by themselves are to add some sort of stat to hitters that lowers the value of power hitters. Something like K as a negative works ok.

Starting pitchers already only contribute to 80% of the stats, when you add holds they only contribute to 66% of them. In leagues that do something like OPS and Holds you have good hitters contributing to 100% and pitchers only 66%. It crushes the value of the SP.

Yah. The one thing that really keeps me at CBS is the ability to do calculable stats. It adds to the league immensely.

I see your point otherwise, though.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers