Second Catcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Second Catcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Second Catcher

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:35 am

I'm in a 16 team mixed league, so we usually go pretty deep at most positions. Catchers always a tough call for me. Do I take a second guy to protect me from injury and make sure I get extra ABs there, or do I punt that and have an extra starter/reliever/hitter

I have Varitek as a keeper, but plan to select a bench catcher to cover the days he sits. Ideally, I'd like to get someone young that could become an eventual keeper, like Mauer, Martinez, or possibly Olivo. Failing that, I might be able to grab Phillips, Lecroy, or Hammock (if healthy). Plan C is to grab a reasonable sleeper in the last round or two. I see where Texas might give the job to Gerald Liard. Thoughts on him? Other guys you see who might slip under the radar?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Jefe » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:02 am

I think that any of the guys that you listed would be a good #2 guy in a 16 team league. I'm especially fond of Martinez. I think he'll hit for about the same average as Mauer and provide more power. Laird is having a really good Spring and reports are that Texas is shopping Einar Diaz. Though I wouldn't give a half a bag of Doritos and a flat Diet Coke for Diaz. My strategy on catchers is to have someone thats not gonna hurt my team's average for the sake of minimal power output (see Einar Diaz and the many like him). I'd much rather have a backup that'll provide similar or more output in fewer ABs, which is less taxing on the overall BA, Ross in LA for instance. In keeper leagues, I'd think about Guiellmo Quiroz in Toronto. I think he could have a carrer similar to Posada.
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:06 am

Ross keeps slipping my mind, thanks. Does it look like they might give him a chance to start more? How far from the big leagues is Quiroz (we don't have minor leagues, so keeping a guy who won't play at all this year is tough to justify).
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby unclepaulie » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:57 am

Grab Jason Philips, he will be a good get for you.
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby El Jefe » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:09 pm

It sounds to me like Quiroz will be on the big club sometime this year. There's talk of Kevin Cash getting the bulk of the starts, but I don't think his bat is ready. Greg Myers had his moment in the sun last season and won't come close to those numbers again. I think that if the Jays wanna compete with the big boys in the division, they can't afford a hole in their lineup. Quiroz should provide a solid average, good power, and strong defense.

Ross and the Dodgers is a question wrapped inside of a riddle. His playing time will depend on whatever Loduca's role is. He's gonna catch, play 1B, get some time in LF. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he was penciled in to work middle-relief on his days off. There's rumors about LA, perhaps, picking up another bat...Gibbons, Konerko, and Bigbie are names that I've heard. Ross seems to be one of those guys that'll get enough playing time to put up 10-12 HRs in a minimal number of ABs. He kinda reminds me of Craig Wilson in Pittsburg without the versatility. I'd just keep an eye on the Dodger transaction wire to see how things get worked out.
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EricF » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:25 pm

With my last two picks in my draft last night, I drafted Ramon Castro and Jason Phillips. I don't know which will be my #1 and which will be my #2, but both are doing well in spring training. I'll wait on my decision to see how they progress during the season.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby El Jefe » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:44 pm

unclepaulie wrote:Grab Jason Philips, he will be a good get for you.

Since I'm somehow spending my Saturday morning on the David Ross bandwagon, plenty of good seats still available, I thought I'd add this comparison...

2003 season
Philips: 11 HR in 403 AB
Ross: 10 HR in 124 AB

I'm just not overwhelmed with Philips. He'll get alot of PT, and will probably hit for a decent average, but...ehhh. I dunno, maybe it's the goggles.

If the Dodgers only had someone in their organization, whose job it was to ensure that PT was given to guys that could actually help put runs on the scoreboard. :-? Wait a minute...That's Jim Tracey's job. :-D
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Catcher

Postby cartman1_24 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:12 pm

To follow-up, what kind of average does a guy like Ross put up? Also, what about Estrada in ATL? He has a lot of talent and it appears ATL is going to give him the chance to lose the job. Any thoughts on this?
"Anyone can put on 30 lbs. of muscle in an off-season..."-Barry Bonds
cartman1_24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Catcher

Postby El Jefe » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:45 pm

cartman1_24 wrote:To follow-up, what kind of average does a guy like Ross put up? Also, what about Estrada in ATL? He has a lot of talent and it appears ATL is going to give him the chance to lose the job. Any thoughts on this?

Ross would probably be a .270ish hitter, but as long as the Dodgers leave him on the bench we may never know. I'm not saying that Ross is a great option now, with his minimal PT. I was originally making the point that I would rather have a guy like Ross (good production /AB) than someone that gets alot of ABs and not alot to show for it except a lower team BA. I just wanted to compare production/AB, and maybe show that some people maybe desrve more PT. Philips is a good hitter and a better option than Ross right now. He had a nice .298 BA last year, but I'm not as excited about him as alot of other people are. As for Estrada, I agree that he would be a another good option as a #2 catcher.
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:50 pm

With 16 teams in my league and most likely to grab a second catcher, Phillips will probably disappear in round 10-17 and Castro will go even earlier, I think. If Phillips hangs around until round 13-15, I'll grab him; otherwise, I'll grab someone late. I'm now officially rooting for Ross to win a role :)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers