Thinking of switching from CBS. A few ???'s - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Thinking of switching from CBS. A few ???'s

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thinking of switching from CBS. A few ???'s

Postby haymarket » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Our league has always used CBS and have gotten along fine with it, but we are thinking about moving to Yahoo or ESPN because of the cost. We have a basic roto redraft league with weekly lineups. I guess I have 2 questions right now.

1. Our league's position eligibility has been: Players are eligible at their primary position, plus positions they've played 5 games last year or 1 game this year. Pitchers gain eligibility at Starting Pitcher with 5 starts last year or 1 start this year. Pitchers gain eligibility at Relief Pitcher with 10 relief appearances last year or 1 relief appearance this year.
Everyone is eligible at DH.

Can we do this on Yahoo or ESPN? What are their requirements?

2. Transactions are only allowed with commisioner approval. No moves are allowed in the first month. After that, 3 add/drops are allowed per month with priority going to lower placed team. The commishioner executes all the moves on Mondays. This is done to provide a little more of a level playing field for people that arent as serious about it and dont check every day.

Are these things that can be done using Yahoo or ESPN? Which site would you recommend?
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thinking of switching from CBS. A few ???'s

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 pm

This will be the third straight year that we have used CBS Commissioner. The things that keep us there are as follows == We use the FAAB. We also use Daily lineups and need that. From what you have said, I believe the Free CBS might give you what you want. I have asked some questions about it in the past. You might just start a free league on CBS and see if it has what you need.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby courduroy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:23 pm

If you are considering moving to a new site then you are not worried about the historical data from your league so I would take advantage of the current CBS offer to new leagues which is 1/2 off.

http://cbssports.com/ref/38747310

Just start a new league on CBS and use all your old settings. It will cost you $90 instead of $180. If the $90 is still overpriced then I think ESPN has installed FAAB this year. As far as limiting moves to 3 a month, I don't even know if that option is available on CBS pay leagues? It is easy to track as commissioner but I don't think the website will do it for you.
courduroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Since I put my last post in this thread, I have started a league on ESPN. It is a draft league, what they call "Custom". It does have an option to limit moves per week, not month. You would have to make a change there. This is the first year it has an FAAB. I intend to start a "test league" and see if it has what we need to switch from CBS. I will post back in a month and let you know how it worked.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:51 pm

bigmck,

On ESPN, I haven't seen how to limit moves per week. I only see how to limit moves per season. Where do you find a way to limit moves per week?
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:06 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:bigmck,

On ESPN, I haven't seen how to limit moves per week. I only see how to limit moves per season. Where do you find a way to limit moves per week?

Sorry, I was looking at a H2H league. For Roto, it only has a season total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cti531 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:59 pm

You really owe it to yourself to check out Fantrax.com. I have been using CBS for over a decade and Fantrax reminds me a lot of CBS except it is...FREE and has additional features than CBS doesn't. I seriously think that CBS could be in trouble here if the word gets out. No I don't work for Fantrax but I will be promoting the hell out of it. The CBS fees have gotton out of control!!!
cti531
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 pm

I'll try to fill in details on our offering as well as I can...

re: eligibility
Players gain initial eligibility based on their play last year. To qualify at a position, a player must have played 10 games there, or started 5 games there. If we cannot determine any eligible positions in this way, a player enters our game at the position designated by our data provider. During the course of the season, players gain eligibility in this same manner: 10 games played, or 5 games started.

re: strict control on transactions
A commissioner can lock a team (or all teams). The commissioner has some capabilities to perform actions on behalf of teams, but off the top of my head I honestly don't remember what they can or cannot do. If your goal is just to discourage active management, there are a few setting you could use: you could configure your league to have weekly lineup deadlines, in roto/points leagues you can configure the max number of moves per season, and in h2h leagues you can configure the max number of adds per week.

re: FAAB
You didn't mention any interest in this, but since a few people brought it up, we now offer FAAB waiver claims.

Hope this helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Return to Commissioner's Corner