League Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cold Stove League

League Rules

Moderators: smoovethug, RocketsDWM

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 am

Fade2White12 wrote:Do we have to post a message saying "I officially drop Player X" in order to make room for any move?


This is what I was assuming
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am

Fade2White12 wrote:Thanks for the explanation, but there's still a little confusion. I understand fully the draft section, just about in-season moves.

If we can only have a maximum of 8 MiLB players on our roster, how can we make in-season moves? Do we have to post a message saying "I officially drop Player X" in order to make room for any move?


Two ways:

*Keep less than eight on your MiLB roster heading into the season.
*You can drop a prospect from your MiLB roster and then add another one.


In either case, the prospect picked up would have to be in Yahoo's database (so waiver priority determines order). And a player from your MLB roster would have to be temporarily dropped.

A corresponding message on the message board (either here - perhaps we create a thread for this - or on Yahoo's message board) would be appropriate for these moves.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 am

Honestly, I find that mildly restrictive, and somewhat more difficult to to make sure everyone is consistent in doing so. I'd prefer it this way, IMO:

Continue to require 8 or less keepers from season to season, however, during the season, remove the 8 player cap altogether - or increase the cap. Since prospects, especially those not in your favorite team's system, are somewhat out of sight - I think evaluating your MiLB roster should be done after/before the season, not during. By increasing the cap to, say, 12 during the season, it will also allow more flexibility in trading during the season - so not being required to do even 1:1/2:2 trades, or having to drop players you'd otherwise not want to.

Just an idea. ;-D

Oh, and also I'm not sure if I like this:
However, once that player reaches the 50/130 plateau, they must be rostered on the MLB roster.


So if Player X accumulates 130 ABs in the minors by June, for example, I am required to promote him or else he is dropped? I'd prefer him to stay under my control for the entire season, regardless of whether he passes the limits - and then be required to drop him or keep him during the offseason.

Again, this makes things simpler - as someone is going to have to police 96 MiLB players throughout the season. Almost every keeper/dynasty I've been in that has had MiLB rosters now use this rule, either from the start of have changed to it.
Image
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3852
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Michigan

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Honestly, I find that mildly restrictive, and somewhat more difficult to to make sure everyone is consistent in doing so. I'd prefer it this way, IMO:

Continue to require 8 or less keepers from season to season, however, during the season, remove the 8 player cap altogether - or increase the cap. Since prospects, especially those not in your favorite team's system, are somewhat out of sight - I think evaluating your MiLB roster should be done after/before the season, not during. By increasing the cap to, say, 12 during the season, it will also allow more flexibility in trading during the season - so not being required to do even 1:1/2:2 trades, or having to drop players you'd otherwise not want to.

Just an idea. ;-D

Oh, and also I'm not sure if I like this:
However, once that player reaches the 50/130 plateau, they must be rostered on the MLB roster.


So if Player X accumulates 130 ABs in the minors by June, for example, I am required to promote him or else he is dropped? I'd prefer him to stay under my control for the entire season, regardless of whether he passes the limits - and then be required to drop him or keep him during the offseason.

Again, this makes things simpler - as someone is going to have to police 96 MiLB players throughout the season. Almost every keeper/dynasty I've been in that has had MiLB rosters now use this rule, either from the start of have changed to it.


Not a bad idea. How does everyone else feel about Fade's proposal?

In relation to your second point - Do you mean if he accumulates 130 AB's in the majors?
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:In relation to your second point - Do you mean if he accumulates 130 AB's in the majors?


Correct. That was a typo on my part. Let's say I draft Player X who has 0 MLB ABs/IP but makes the team out of spring training, or someone that already has a bit of MLB experience, Feliz or Matusz for example. He then passes the rookie threshold by June. Does he need to be immediately promoted to your MLB roster or else he is dropped? If that's true, see my above post. B-)
Image
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3852
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Michigan

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
fezzik wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Hmm, I figured trading a guy lets the new owner keep their acquired player for 4 years if they want?


That doesn't seem fair...then everybody would be forced to trade their studs before they were thrown back, since they would be worthless to hold onto but be very valuable as trade material.


Yeah, I was actually curious how this worked. Four years is a long time in fantasy land but wasn't sure if we should expect a boatload of talent to flood the draft in 2-3 years, was wondering if there would be any control of that or if things take care of themselves.


I think there will just be a boatload of talent that gets thrown back in...but we still keep 10 guys, so acquiring guys who are keeper-worthy the next few years will be huge...since they will have more value as keepers than our initial draft-class. Also, the draft before all these studs are thrown back will be extremely important since we will still need to keep 10...so having a deep roster that season will be important. In the long run, there won't be such a huge talent disparity between draft years, but as you said...we're talking about a long time in terms of fantasy land. If you have suggestions on how to do it differently, I'd be interested to hear them...though I think just resetting the keeper clock after a trade would be a bad idea. It would hugely favor teams who traded, and basically result in people just swapping rosters around to avoid losing their studs.
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Honestly, what I'd like to see is some way to protect a handful of our players, like being able to "franchise" 1+ once their 4 years are up.
Image
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3852
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Michigan

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Honestly, what I'd like to see is some way to protect a handful of our players, like being able to "franchise" 1+ once their 4 years are up.


I'll roll with whatever the consensus is, but I drafted the first year under the assumption that we could only keep the players 4 years...so I targeted players in their late twenties. I don't have many truly young players, but that's because I knew I would not get a chance for them to mature on my roster.
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm not saying to abolish the 4 year rule or to allow you to keep a bunch of guys. I just think the league would benefit by not having a complete flood of players hitting the league at one time. If you knew that you could possibly protect 1-2 guys for longer than 4 years, would you have altered your draft strategy? I wouldn't have.

Since we're looking at general ways to better the league, and the question was proposed, I'm just throwing that out there. I'm fine with either, so it's just an idea to bat around while we wait for draft to start. !+)
Image
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3852
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Michigan

Re: Constitution/Final Rules 2010 Season

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:I'm not saying to abolish the 4 year rule or to allow you to keep a bunch of guys. I just think the league would benefit by not having a complete flood of players hitting the league at one time. If you knew that you could possibly protect 1-2 guys for longer than 4 years, would you have altered your draft strategy? I wouldn't have.


No, I wouldn't have. That definitely sounds like something to consider, but you said "handful"...so you can't blame me for thinking 4-6. Maybe I just have bigger hands than you. :-b
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

PreviousNext

Return to Cold Stove League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact