The winning strategy for 2010 Drafts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The winning strategy for 2010 Drafts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The winning strategy for 2010 Drafts

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:16 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
Epiphany wrote:Great post. Very helpful. Each year I've always tried to build a balanced team instead of taking the "best available - power guy". I am always in the top 3-4, but have never won a championship. If I read this post last year I would have taken Prince fielder Rnd 2 over Dustin Pedroia and probably would have won my league.
I am def taking this approach to my draft this year.

This was the most valuable post I've read thus far. Keep it up.

Pedroia in round 2 8-o

After his MVP year, he went in the 2nd round in many leagues, and I got Prince in most of my leagues late in the 2nd, early 3rd, or less than $30 in my auctions. Neither Pedroia or Prince are going in the 2nd this year.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1638)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby micemi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 am

Trying to implement this strategy in my 12 team H2H league and have a question. If I went with Howard or Teixeira in the first round with the 9th overall, what would you come back with in the second round if Kinsler, Reyes, Rollins, and Wright were the best infield options that could provide some pop and Adrian Gonzalez and Matt Holliday were the best available OF/1B types. I would be inclined to go with Kinsler, Wright or Reyes to get some speed, but with the "Go Power" option it seems that Gonzalez or Holliday are the best picks. Which is the smarter play here?
micemi
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:03 pm

micemi wrote:Trying to implement this strategy in my 12 team H2H league and have a question. If I went with Howard or Teixeira in the first round with the 9th overall, what would you come back with in the second round if Kinsler, Reyes, Rollins, and Wright were the best infield options that could provide some pop and Adrian Gonzalez and Matt Holliday were the best available OF/1B types. I would be inclined to go with Kinsler, Wright or Reyes to get some speed, but with the "Go Power" option it seems that Gonzalez or Holliday are the best picks. Which is the smarter play here?

Part of this depends on your projections for the upcoming year. If you think Wright will rebound to the mid 20 HR range, I'd go with him. I like to get consistency in the first 2 rounds, so I will avoid Kinsler and J-Up in the 2nd. My pick would be Holliday since he has a strong track record and produces across the board.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mocabeenow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Go with whatever strategy floats your boat, but be prepared to shake it all up when everybody has the same strategy as you, or its your turn and there is no way in hell you can pass them up for your set strategy.. I had the 7th pick in a 10 team yahoo-H2H draft, and I was thinking of grabbing Lincecum and maybe Halladay on the way back.. But long and behold Braun slips to #7, i draft him, lose out on Lincecum and Halladay, so I draft MCab with a smile on my face.

My key to 2010:
Randy Johnson (what? he retired!)
I mean..
Nomar Garciaparra (what? him too!)

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby micemi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks, I just had my draft and ended up taking Prince at 9, who i never thought would fall to me, and Howard at 16....ridiculous. Started draft with 95 HR. Reynolds in 3rd and Reyes fell to me in the 4th with his thyroid concerns. If he is ok, should be solid start.
micemi
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jsphlly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Nice thread. While doing my projections I had also noticed the late speed to be had this year in the OF. There is not chance that Rajai Davis is not on my team.

I've also been a fan of taking hitters early (as is most of the fantasy community) since Juan Gone was one of my best players. That being said, my pitching is usually patch work, featuring high K/9 guys that tend to get lit up hard every now and then.

With this strategy in play, I accidently stumbled onto an idea that I have not been able to set in motion but just may this year, tell me what you think...

With today's pitchers (especially the type I'm drafting) usually not lasting past 6-7 innings, chasing the "W" stat is not the easiest thing to do. It's often decided by middle releivers, set-up men and closers. Well what if you have more control over that?

In my league I'm keeping Matt Cain. I'm targeting Jonathan "Dirty" Sanchez. If he falls dirt cheap, I might grab Zito and if he makes the rotation, I like Bumgardner. If I end up with 3 of these guys, I will reach a round or two to get Brian Wilson. Now throw a Medders or Affeldt in there and if my starter leaves a tight game, I still have a good shot at a win AND a save.

Not saying this will win a league and I'm not recommending reaching for a Zito type, but if the cards are falling this way for you (Maybe you've grabbed Shields and Garza and realize Price and Soriano are still around) it might be a way to vulture a couple extra W's.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mocabeenow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm

i see your point, but don't draft guys that shouldn't be on a fantasy team just to chase the wins category.

Quality Starts is a good stat.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:01 pm

i don't draft for wins, but i often pick up guys in the FA Pool for wins... last year guys on the phillies rotation were locks for wins. maybe i'll draft a few like blanton at the end of the draft.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ferris182 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:07 pm

jcook3127 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:Good post. This is exactly how I drafted last year, after learning from mistakes in previous years.

I will add one amendment:

DO NOT NEGLECT BATTING AVERAGE. As you do all you said above, pay super duper attention to batting average. Don't *just* go for the 40HR guy, grab the 30HR .310AVG guy instead.

If you're playing ROTO, then yes

If you're playing H2H..absolutely not...in fact, make a conscious effort to ignore batting average and you'll have an awesome lineup that should win a majority of offensive cats and maybe sweep on a fluke average week

Way to volatile of a category from week to week to put too much weight on in H2H

I agree. In H2H leagues you don't have to worry about BA.
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby angels7777 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:17 am

so if you ignore BA in H2H, Howard should then be taken over the likes of Tex, M-Cab, and Fielder...
5x5 H2H, NK 10 tms

C-
1- Fielder
2- Carpenter
3- Wright
SS- Desmond
OF- J. Upton, Trout, Heyward
UTL- Werth
BN- E. Cab
SP- Hamls, Gio, Latos, Tehran, D. Salzar, Lirano, Grza, Kluber, Lincum, Lacky
RP- Cishek, Veras, Soria, Brothers, Hawkins
DL- Crain