This years Lind, Wainwright, Zobrist, Coghlan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This years Lind, Wainwright, Zobrist, Coghlan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This years Lind, Wainwright, Zobrist, Coghlan

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:39 am

Gonna take a early stab at my predictions as to who you can get late-undrafted that might just surprise you this year.

2010 Adam Lind Award- Kyle Blanks, 23 OF, SD. Posted an .868 OPS in 148 AB's with 10 hrs last year, should be hitting 4th or 5th with good OBP guys Gonzalez and Headley in front of him. Prediction .281, 32hr 98rbi 81 runs, 9sb (he can run a bit)

2010 Adam Wainwright Award- Brett Anderson, 22 SP, Oak. Went an impressive 11-11 last year, with a bad Oak team, that has added a little more offense this year. Had solid, not spectacular perephrial nos. Prediction 16-9 3.68 era, 1.12 whip 181 k's 218 ip. not quite Wainwright but solid no 3

2010 Ben Zobrist Award- Ryan Raburn 28 OF, Det. Late Bloomer, potential middle to top of order guy, who put up 16 hrs 45rbis-45runs and 5sb in 260 Ab's. He gets the Zobrist award, because he is flexible (although a butcher) and might get 2B flexibility (hopefully) back if Sizemore isnt quite ready. Prediction .282 29hrs 91rbi 87 runs 13 SB

2010 Chris Coghlan Award- Jason Heyward 20 OF, Atl. The consensus no 1 prospect in baseball, if he doesnt break camp with the team expect June at the latest for this phenom. Although Coghlan cant hold Heyward's Jock, I expect similar production form June on. Prediction .314 13 hrs 56 rbi 60 runs 11 sbs. Might also be the Mccutchen Award, but those numbers might be a little harder to attain

What do you guys think?
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This years Lind, Wainwright, Zobrist, Coghlan

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:57 am

The Raburn and Blanks I can possibly see, but I think your other two are a bit odd. Heyward only has one thing in common with Coghlan, that they play in the NL East. Coghlan came in pretty much with out any publicity while being a solid prospect. People will overpay and hype Heyward to no end, his value this season will be over run by his name and thus not really be of any value IMO. As to where you could pick up Coghlan as a FA in most all leagues.

As far as Anderson goes, I'm not saying he won't do well but I don't see what they have in common for him to get the "award". Wainwright was a guy who had proved himself but just came into his own at 27. Brett is still quite young and people are already drafting him early hoping he really continues his 2nd half numbers from 2009. I'll toss out a guy who has pitched a bit, like Wainwright, who could have his 2009 type season ... Gavin Floyd. He doesn't get much publicity but has quietly put together 2 very solid seasons and could take another step forward. Last 22 starts in 2009, 2.97era 1.04whip - 148ip/128k, looks pretty good to me.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby WickedSmaat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 am

Padsin05 wrote:2010 Adam Lind Award- Kyle Blanks, 23 OF, SD. Posted an .868 OPS in 148 AB's with 10 hrs last year, should be hitting 4th or 5th with good OBP guys Gonzalez and Headley in front of him. Prediction .281, 32hr 98rbi 81 runs, 9sb (he can run a bit)

Are you sure we're talking about the same 285 lb guy? :-?
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:14 am

I find it hard to imagine you can predict which rookie is going to put up a .366 BABIP and turn what should have been a mediocre season into fantasy gold like Coghlan did. I mean take away the BABIP and you are left with Melky Cabrera.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 pm

with Coghlan to Heyward, I basically meant a guy who comes up after the season starts and puts up solid numbers right from the get go. Wasnt comparing their skill sets or name recognition

I also like Floyd in the Wainwright category, basically just going with a guy who I think could possibly post numbers way above his adp

Yes im talking about the 285 lb Blanks, dude can run, hes a football player playing baseball, theres plenty of guys that big that can move well, he even had a few triples and hit an inside-the-parker last year, so he can get going
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 am

regarding Raburn if the Tigers end up signing Damon to play LF and go with Jackson in CF he may not even play all that much. there's also about a 1% chance he'd play any 2B
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby silverZ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 am

Snider has a chance to put up Lind-type numbers this year. He had better MiLB numbers than Lind, but he's a couple years younger. (homer pick)
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:02 am

Chris Davis
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:05 am

silverZ wrote:Snider has a chance to put up Lind-type numbers this year. He had better MiLB numbers than Lind, but he's a couple years younger. (homer pick)

;-D
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby tribefan08 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 am

I dont think Blanks or anyone his hitting 30HR's in that park but AGON... Never hit more than 24HR's in the minors, i know he's young and a big boy, but its just unlikely.

For some reason I get the feeling Brett Anderson is going to be the Dustin McGowan of 2010. Lots hype around the fantasy world.... I hope he stays healthy, but people are beginning to expect a miracle year...

We dont know if Heyward will even break camp with the team, Bobby Cox said he wants him on the opening day roster, but that doesn't mean he'll be ready.... check back once spring training is underway... That said he's much better than Coghlan. MUCH BETTER.

Personally for pitchers I really like david price he burnt alot of people last year and is going later in mocks (for now), he could defly be a good value pick past the 10th round.

Snider was already mentioned. I also think he could bea beast in the pro's. He just needs to be patient. Reimold is another favorite of mine this year, he has major 20/20 .300 potential... kinda like choo last year but more upside. Someone also mentioned Chris Davis, he burnt soooo many peopple last year, now he's a value again.... and might hit those 35-45HR's people THOUGHT he'd hit last year.... hahah god he got hyped!!!!

GOOD LUCK....
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers