Fantasy Baseball Question. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fantasy Baseball Question.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Baseball Question.

Postby kcuber » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:16 pm

I have a fantasy baseball question. For years we have done our league as a 5 x 5, head to head, and with 10 teams. Each week you would get a record 10-0 9-1, 8-2, etc. I was thinking of changing it this year but wasn't sure how to go about doing it.

I have heard of head to head points leagues and I like the idea of points but wouldn't you only get a win or a loss each week? By the end of the season you would have a record of 20-0, 19-1, .... 7-13 etc. Is this okay in most leagues? It seems like it would be tougher for a team to get back in a playoff race if this was the case. I know that's how football is done but then again football only has 16 games in the NFL season and the records are pretty much comparable.

What are your thoughts? What is the best way to play? What about all points and no head to head? Does that stay competitive? Just seems there is more interest and competitiion each week if you are playing someone. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
kcuber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fantasy Baseball Question.

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:31 pm

i have played regular H2H(like you have it now), H2H points, and ROTO.

each is different and gives pros and cons

the H2H points i play in each year is 20 teams...so it seems to fit better into only getting a win or loss each week. not sure why...but it just feels right

in a smaller league id prefer the way you have it now. keeps it closer for everyone, like you said. its much easier to come back if you still have the opportunity to win a few weeks 10-0 or 9-1 and make up a bunch of ground. in points you cant do that as you either win or lose

in the 20 teamer it becomes evident pretty quickly who are the better teams...so no need to try and keep everyone in it until the end. again...just my feeling

i dont prefer ROTO, or cumulative points. no payoff until the end. i like the little victories each week
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fantasy Baseball Question.

Postby HustlinOwl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 pm

kcuber wrote:I have a fantasy baseball question. For years we have done our league as a 5 x 5, head to head, and with 10 teams. Each week you would get a record 10-0 9-1, 8-2, etc. I was thinking of changing it this year but wasn't sure how to go about doing it.

I toyed with this idea this offseason of changing my league to this format. However guys do tend to lose interest at the end of the season and I could see teams benefiting from that.

Early in the year those teams will be ultra competitive and checking lineups which would lead scores to being close, but by the end of the year when interest fades teams then playing them would get those lopsided victories.

We have 12 teams and are going to run 2 divisions playing each divisional opponent 3 times and other division teams once per season.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner