Havok's 2010 Top 50 Outfielder Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Havok's 2010 Top 50 Outfielder Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Havok's 2010 Top 50 Outfielder Rankings

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Cruz is still streaky as hell. I would be trying to sell high on him right now. (he's ranked higher thank Albert Pujols is!)

I'm not sure how you would sell high on Cruz. I'm still penciling him in for 30+ HRs with a chance to nose around 40. Sure, I'd trade him for Pujols but noone who owns Pujols is going to do that swap. So maybe you could trade him for more of an established OF like Manny or Bay or Ellsbury but I don't think I'd want to do that.

This past week doesn't mean that he's going to hit 120 HRs but it does validate, or at least begin to validate, that he is a legitimate power threat. I thought that was true in the pre-season; I think that is true now. Basically, this past week hasn't moved his perceived value at all in my eyes. Well, maybe a little bit... but not much.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Matthias wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:Cruz is still streaky as hell. I would be trying to sell high on him right now. (he's ranked higher thank Albert Pujols is!)

I'm not sure how you would sell high on Cruz. I'm still penciling him in for 30+ HRs with a chance to nose around 40. Sure, I'd trade him for Pujols but noone who owns Pujols is going to do that swap. So maybe you could trade him for more of an established OF like Manny or Bay or Ellsbury but I don't think I'd want to do that.

Manny or Bay would have been underselling him even in preseason to me. I had Cruz at 11 for OFs after Havok's top 7, Granderson, Lind, and Werth. Cruz was close to Lind and Werth to me. Lind and Werth just felt like the safer bets but I wouldn't be surprised if he is better than either of them this year. He can be a top 5 OF behind Braun, Kemp, JUp, and Holliday. It's doubtful he'll pass Crawford's value but he has 40 hr upside and can run, putting him 32 here was ridiculous.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Nelson Cruz has 6 HRs in his first 8 games this year.

He's the first player in ML history to do that.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Cruz started off red-hot last year as well and faded down the stretch... by sell-high, I didn't mean a Pujols-Cruz swap (although if you can do that, you most certainly should!) I was thinking more like target a guy like Werth, who is a little cold out the gate right now, and a quality starter or other positional player for Cruz (Werth + Garza for Cruz, maybe). See if the Fielder/Teix owner is frustrated in your league and float him a Cruz offer straight-up. The guy is obviously not going to bat .414 over the course of the season, nor do I think he can sustain even close to a .300 average. The power is legit, but I maintain that Cruz is STREAKY (as evidenced by his .260 average last year). He's nowhere near the caliber of Holliday or Braun, if you could flip Cruz for either of them you are a bandit.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Cruz started off red-hot last year as well and faded down the stretch... by sell-high, I didn't mean a Pujols-Cruz swap (although if you can do that, you most certainly should!) I was thinking more like target a guy like Werth, who is a little cold out the gate right now, and a quality starter or other positional player for Cruz (Werth + Garza for Cruz, maybe). See if the Fielder/Teix owner is frustrated in your league and float him a Cruz offer straight-up. The guy is obviously not going to bat .414 over the course of the season, nor do I think he can sustain even close to a .300 average. The power is legit, but I maintain that Cruz is STREAKY (as evidenced by his .260 average last year). He's nowhere near the caliber of Holliday or Braun, if you could flip Cruz for either of them you are a bandit.

Werth and Garza would probably be worth a try. Anyone dealing their first rounders for Cruz already should give up. :-o
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Cruz had 33 jacks last year and missed more than a month's worth of time. I'll take the inevitable hit in batting average.....and I'm holding unless an idiot makes a ridiculous offer. He's hitting 40 this year, book it.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Agreed. I was very surprised to see him hang around as late into drafts as he did. He has the same concerns as Werth (AVG, small track record), but seemed to consistently go 2 to 3 rounds later. I have him in a few leagues and I'm not looking to sell unless I'm blown away.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:17 pm

For sure. To me Werth was arguably the most overrated player on the board this year because I knew I could get Cruz two rounds later, as you said. Not that Werth doesn't have value.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Keeping Nelson Cruz is paying off. Still can't believe he was below the Fonz on this list.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:26 pm

MLB Scout in ESPN article wrote:"Nobody in baseball has got as much power as this guy," said one scout. "And playing in that ballpark, he ought to hit 35 to 40 home runs easy."

See!
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers