Havok's 2010 Top 50 Outfielder Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Havok's 2010 Top 50 Outfielder Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Havok's 2010 Top 50 Outfielder Rankings

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:36 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
Andruw Jones is going to be a everyday player for the ChiSox?

I think he meant that Jones will get the bulk of time as the DH.

A bulk of time at DH, you mean as in a everyday player like I said? :-?

We thought you were being sarcastic.

I thought Andruw Jones health issues/ weight problem has caused him to be an inadequate fielder? Then again maybe I should do some analytical research before I post this.
Last edited by MasterX1918 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:39 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:Quentin may be feeling good now, but I doubt he stays that way. And I'm a Sox fan -- just saying.

If they field LF - Pierre/CF - Jones/RF- Rios/DH Quentin

He certainly will be able to better preserve his health. I am expecting big things from Quentin. He is saying he is feeling fine, pissed he didn't sign a extension, and wont have to play the field.

The only thing Andruw Jones is worth anymore is his stellar defense in the OF

Well, in the article you quoted, he mentions playing right field this season, his more natural position. So, for now, I would expect the outfield to be Pierre, Rios and Quentin, left to right with Jones the DH. Of course, this also allows the Sox to rotate them as often or as little as they like depending on hot and cold streaks, injuries, etc.

Carlos Quentin hasn't played RF since 2007

Despite not playing the position for three years, he missed 65 days due to a foot injury in 2009

Now we compile that with Andruw Jones, last 5 years of UZR/150 +24.9, +.2, +22.2, +13.1, +34.7, and his career UZR/150 for CF +22.9

and then Add in Alex Rios career RF UZR/150 13.1

Now if we put all this logic, stats, sense, and reasoning into one big boiling cauldron, it will allow me to say with confidence, no your not correct. Andruw Jones isn't the primary DH, and Quentin isn't going to be the starting RF, and by a long shot.

Ozzie is preaching DH by committe, but with a everyday immovable LF (Pierre), Two true CF/RF and a injury plagued bad defender, its pretty easy to see what the Sox are going to do. Unless you think they are going to rotate Nix, and Kotsay into everyday DH roles..

And yes, MasterX, research is your best friend ;-D
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:44 pm

this is sort of a trivial thing to argue about
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:48 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
If they field LF - Pierre/CF - Jones/RF- Rios/DH Quentin

He certainly will be able to better preserve his health. I am expecting big things from Quentin. He is saying he is feeling fine, pissed he didn't sign a extension, and wont have to play the field.

The only thing Andruw Jones is worth anymore is his stellar defense in the OF

Well, in the article you quoted, he mentions playing right field this season, his more natural position. So, for now, I would expect the outfield to be Pierre, Rios and Quentin, left to right with Jones the DH. Of course, this also allows the Sox to rotate them as often or as little as they like depending on hot and cold streaks, injuries, etc.

Carlos Quentin hasn't played RF since 2007

Despite not playing the position for three years, he missed 65 days due to a foot injury in 2009

Now we compile that with Andruw Jones, last 5 years of UZR/150 +24.9, +.2, +22.2, +13.1, +34.7, and his career UZR/150 for CF +22.9

and then Add in Alex Rios career RF UZR/150 13.1

Now if we put all this logic, stats, sense, and reasoning into one big boiling cauldron, it will allow me to say with confidence, no your not correct. Andruw Jones isn't the primary DH, and Quentin isn't going to be the starting RF, and by a long shot.

Ozzie is preaching DH by committe, but with a everyday immovable LF (Pierre), Two true CF/RF and a injury plagued bad defender, its pretty easy to see what the Sox are going to do. Unless you think they are going to rotate Nix, and Kotsay into everyday DH roles..

And yes, MasterX, research is your best friend ;-D

Just going by what was mentioned in the article since that was the source you were referencing to say he's apparently in good health. Apparently, he's also looking forward to playing RF. To quote Boomer, "just sayin'....."

If you have other sources you want to reference to argue your point, by all means, go ahead and share them. I'm just going by what I read and until we hear or see more, I don't think you can say anything is clearly defined in their OF/DH situation.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:51 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:this is sort of a trivial thing to argue about

Trivial, no way!

Quentin is going to be a monster this year. Havok's right on. Could lead the league in homers. He gonna have the primary DH spot to stay healthy and he is going to commit multiple homicides in the AL Central this year.

He hit 36 bombs in only 480 AB's that year. :-° Lord help us if he gets 570+
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mushman05 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:01 pm

I think your assessment of Abreu (36th) is a bit off, but I'm not complaining. He's actually been one of my favorite value picks in drafts for each of the past two seasons. In the way that people in FF tend to write off veteran wideouts like Donald Driver and Hines Ward, people quite often tend to write off Abreu and take a chance on the next "big" thing. Granted the 30 SBs was a bit flukey, but even at 35/36, Abreu is a virtual lock to hit near .300, score 100 runs and knock in 100 RBIs, even despite his power outage in recent seasons. And for those in leagues where walks/OBP is a factor, he's a borderline stud. The fact that he plays such a "hands off" defense contributes greatly to his health, and although you may hate that as a fan, it's pretty much a fantastic thing from a fantasy perspective.

I'll take Bobby as my #2 OF based on his ADP almost any day of the week!
**2006 Summer Bums League Champion**
mushman05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tvv44 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:08 pm

What about Denard Span? Not top 50? I find that hard to believe...

Or Michael Cuddyer?
Owner of the Detroit Tigers in Strike Zone Dynasty
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pochucker » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Havok dont be offended but this list is not up to your usual standards.Milledge over his own teamate McCutcheon ? Really ? Not to mention he is in Victorinos area and he cant carry his jock strap! Upton, B.J. ? Its time for him to actually do it before we annoint him each year! Bruce ? Great potential but again if this is a preseason list then he is way high --if this is postseason list as you see it well different story. Werth seems tad low to me also . Ill stop there. Thanks for the effort.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

markakis--underrated?? im hoping that was a typo and you meant to type overrated. your paying for the potential of a 30-15 season when you draft him that high but in reality he is a 20-10 player maybe and he didnt even reach that last season! too high until he can finally put together meaningful power/speed combo for me to put him in the top 10.

oh well, its a list that can be considered when conducting drafts and personal rankings which are always nice but obviously this doesnt carry the weight of other major rankings like forecaster, espn, some fantasy mags, j35j spreadsheet, etc... so you can only take it for what its worth.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Pochucker wrote:Havok dont be offended but this list is not up to your usual standards.Milledge over his own teamate McCutcheon ? Really ? Not to mention he is in Victorinos area and he cant carry his jock strap! Upton, B.J. ? Its time for him to actually do it before we annoint him each year! Bruce ? Great potential but again if this is a preseason list then he is way high --if this is postseason list as you see it well different story. Werth seems tad low to me also . Ill stop there. Thanks for the effort.

If I'm not mistaken, Havok mentioned in one of the other ranking threads that his lists are more about how he sees the rankings finishing up at the end of the season.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers