New to FB and practically baseball. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

New to FB and practically baseball.

New to FB and practically baseball.

Postby JSK100 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Hey guys. So anyways, I'm a teenager and all my life I've been around baseball. I've been to games, played little league, but really never followed it very much. Basically for the last 3 years or so, I've payed very little attention to it. I know most of the all stars and such, but that's basically about it. Anyways, I'm doing a fantasy baseball league with my friends, and I'm actually becoming pretty interested in baseball. Basically I'm sick and tired of them always talking about baseball and me feeling left out. Here are a few things I would like to accomplish here.

First, I really just want to understand how to basically follow baseball. I'm guessing that basically means just follow your home team? Maybe a daily check on some baseball news website. (ESPN?) Maybe watch baseball every other night or so. Just to get to know the players?

Second, I want to understand how to be pretty decent at fantasy baseball. I think we're doing yahoo if that helps. I've done fantasy sports before and I know the basic idea of how to do it. I have pretty much no idea about the stats, etc, etc.

If there is anywhere you guys can help me. PLEASE! PLEASE DO!

Thanks so much!
JSK100
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to FB and practically baseball.

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:15 am

Welcome to the wonderful and addicting world of Baseball. To a casual fan it can seem pretty boring but as you watch more games and start to understand some of the inner workings of the game it can be very entertaining. There are many things that a casual fan might not realize even exist or understand, lefty/righty matchups, hitters or pitchers ballparks, rules behind things like fair or foul balls, balks, or the 23 ways for a batter to reach 1st base.

The easiest way to follow baseball is to watch as many games as you can, preferably with someone who is very knowledgeable about the game. If something happens that you don't understand, and it will, you can ask them, "What was up with that?" There is a saying that if you watch a game close enough you'll see something you've never seen before. If you don't catch a game every day try to make it a habit of at least watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN as often as you can. That will keep you up on what happened that day and you won't fall behind in your friends convos anymore. A great day to watch baseball is Saturday. Fox has it's Game of the Week which airs at 4 pm EST in which you get to watch a game that is outside of your home area. Before the game they play an episode of This Week in Baseball which shows you lots of cool things like micro-phoned players on the field and other things that teams did around the league that week.

Another great way to learn about baseball is to find a good blog that follows your favorite team. I'm an A's fan and it's hard for me to go a day without visiting http://www.athleticsnation.com, it's a wealth of info. ESPN can be an ok source of info but it can be heavily East Coast biased especially to the New York and Boston fan bases. If you're in that area then it's great I guess. Try http://www.sbnation.com/mlb or http://www.rotoworld.com, they're league wide good sources for anything news worthy. The "Baseball Leftovers" area of these forums is also a good place to get the fantasy spin on just about anything that hit the news.

Fantasy Baseball isn't like fantasy Football. To be good at fantasy Baseball you have to keep up on things a lot more often then in Football. Football you can check the news once a week and decide who you'll play on your team that weekend. If you're in a Baseball league which allows daily roster moves (most of them) you need to pay attention to lots of things; pitcher/hitter matchups, if one one your players got dinged up the night before and will miss a game or two, routine days off, putting your starting pitchers into your lineup that are getting a start that day.

Once you get your league set up you'll have more questions that I can't really help with right now. Leagues vary by type; Points, Roto, Head-to-Head. Also need to know other things like drafted positions, stats counted, etc. Learn what type of league you'll be in come back with more question and/or do a search for what the differences are and strategies that differ in each type.

P.S. If my post was helpful click the 'post feedback' button!
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JSK100 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks so much! You really helped me, and I'm definitely going to start watching Baseball Tonight. I'll be back with more questions!

P.S. I left you feedback!
JSK100
T-Ball Trainer

Postby lauralovesfootball » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 pm

That was a really great post, thanks for posting that! It helped me out as well :)
lauralovesfootball
T-Ball Trainer

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Awesome! I love to hear stuff like this. In fact I think I'm going to dedicate my podcast this week to that subject!!

Learning about baseball in the year 2010.

Let me ask you one question, are you a video gamer? If yes, pick up a copy of one of the later video games for baseball. I'd recommend MLB 2K9 for the XBOX 360 because you can get it for like $10 used. It's the fastest way to learn. You get a first person seat at each game and get to see how each pitch works, the dynamics of different situations, and they have trianing videos!!!

Next. If you have cable or satelite TV, watch the MLB Network. They have awesome spring training videos when sprint training starts, where they cover all the team in one month. They also have a better nightly show on baseball than Baseball Tonight IMO. Second, go to a game, get a hotdog and enjoy a day in the sun. Nothing is more fun that a baseball game in person. 9 inning of baseball can be kind of boring for someone who isn't a true fan yet. Being at the game gets you into the atmosphere and allows you to soak in the experience. Grab a pencil and a scorecard and try and keep up with the game pitch by pitch. Order peanuts from the vendor across the isle (he'll pitch the peanuts to you usually). Do the wave, get yer best "Hey Batter Batter, saaawing batter!" going.

As to how to win at Fantasy Baseball, for a non-baseball geek, I'd recommend two books. The first is moneyball. This is how to win baseball for geeks. Getting in the mind set of being a GM rather than a coach or a player is important because Fantasy Baseball is about being impartial, and finding a winning formula rather than finding your favorite player or team. the second book is Fantasy Land by Sam Walker. This is the book for sports fans who have never played Fantasy Baseball. It's entertaining and a good read to see what you can expect.

Next, go to yahoo.com's fantasy baseball page and sign up for their new mock drafts. Do as many as you can. You will see what other people are thinking about when they are picking. Ask questions!

Finally have fun. Don't expect to win in your first year. When in doubt keep it simple. Don't go for any complex strategies the first year. Just enjoy yourself.

Use the forums here when you have questions here about who you should draft, what trades you should make. It' sa great resource.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby JSK100 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:58 pm

dmendro wrote:Awesome! I love to hear stuff like this. In fact I think I'm going to dedicate my podcast this week to that subject!!

Learning about baseball in the year 2010.

Let me ask you one question, are you a video gamer? If yes, pick up a copy of one of the later video games for baseball. I'd recommend MLB 2K9 for the XBOX 360 because you can get it for like $10 used. It's the fastest way to learn. You get a first person seat at each game and get to see how each pitch works, the dynamics of different situations, and they have trianing videos!!!

Next. If you have cable or satelite TV, watch the MLB Network. They have awesome spring training videos when sprint training starts, where they cover all the team in one month. They also have a better nightly show on baseball than Baseball Tonight IMO. Second, go to a game, get a hotdog and enjoy a day in the sun. Nothing is more fun that a baseball game in person. 9 inning of baseball can be kind of boring for someone who isn't a true fan yet. Being at the game gets you into the atmosphere and allows you to soak in the experience. Grab a pencil and a scorecard and try and keep up with the game pitch by pitch. Order peanuts from the vendor across the isle (he'll pitch the peanuts to you usually). Do the wave, get yer best "Hey Batter Batter, saaawing batter!" going.

As to how to win at Fantasy Baseball, for a non-baseball geek, I'd recommend two books. The first is moneyball. This is how to win baseball for geeks. Getting in the mind set of being a GM rather than a coach or a player is important because Fantasy Baseball is about being impartial, and finding a winning formula rather than finding your favorite player or team. the second book is Fantasy Land by Sam Walker. This is the book for sports fans who have never played Fantasy Baseball. It's entertaining and a good read to see what you can expect.

Next, go to yahoo.com's fantasy baseball page and sign up for their new mock drafts. Do as many as you can. You will see what other people are thinking about when they are picking. Ask questions!

Finally have fun. Don't expect to win in your first year. When in doubt keep it simple. Don't go for any complex strategies the first year. Just enjoy yourself.

Use the forums here when you have questions here about who you should draft, what trades you should make. It' sa great resource.

Thanks a lot! I'm actually purchasing MLB 2k10 march 2nd, so I'm pretty psyched for that. I've been to baseball games a lot, but always been relatively bored at them. I'll look into those books!
JSK100
T-Ball Trainer

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 am

JSK100 wrote:Thanks a lot! I'm actually purchasing MLB 2k10 march 2nd, so I'm pretty psyched for that. I've been to baseball games a lot, but always been relatively bored at them. I'll look into those books!

Oh nooooes!! If by chance you have a PS3 then buy MLB: The Show 2010. It is far superior then the 2k series. Alas, if all you have is an XBox then you're stuck with 2k.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JSK100 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 am

SlightlyStoopid wrote:
JSK100 wrote:Thanks a lot! I'm actually purchasing MLB 2k10 march 2nd, so I'm pretty psyched for that. I've been to baseball games a lot, but always been relatively bored at them. I'll look into those books!

Oh nooooes!! If by chance you have a PS3 then buy MLB: The Show 2010. It is far superior then the 2k series. Alas, if all you have is an XBox then you're stuck with 2k.

Yeah, I'm stuck with 2K. :( But I hear 2k10 is a lot better this year!
JSK100
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Beginner's Forum