Sanchez and Pierre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sanchez and Pierre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sanchez and Pierre

Postby Dude86 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:08 am

What's the real difference between these guys? They both hit for the same power. They both steal around the same amount of bases and word has it that Pierre won't even be running as much this season with McKeon at the helm. Pierre hits for a slightly higher average than Sanchez. So why does Pierre usually go in the first five rounds and Sanchez goes in the last five rounds? Am I missing something?

In my opinion Crawford is better then the both of them anyway and should be the first base stealer taken.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vikes24 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:22 am

I know Spring training does not mean much, but Pierre has five steals and is batting like .480. I think that losing Lee and I-Rod will force McKeon to run Pierre even more personally. He is a far supperior "slap hitter" than either of the guys you mentioned. Regardless- Pierre will at least lead the NL in steals hands down if healthy. You want to put your money on a Devil Ray or Tiger- you go ahead!
Vikes24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:57 am

Teams like Detroit, TB, and Milwaukee (ie: bad teams) usually run a lot because they can't score any other way. So it's not always bad to have a guy on a terrible team. But it's a bonus if they're on a good team, like the Marlins, giving an advantage in not only BA and SB, but R as well. I'm grabbing Sanchez in most of my leagues and Pierre in none of them for the reasons you just stated. I know that value wise, Pierre merits a high draft spot, but that's assuming everbody is drafted where they should be. Sanchez is usually a huge steal, same with Roberts. Half of the teams probably bank on getting one of those 2 guys really late, and everybody would be hapy with them, but everybody gets gunshy and feels like it's wrong to draft pure basestealers early unless they're on teams that produce a lot of runs. If Crawford didn't have Huff and Baldelli in his lineup, nobody would mention him in the same breath as Pierre, because "he's on a terrible team; he's one dimensional". I don't get it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:07 am

Pierre is consistent. You know he's gonna steal 50+ bases, and he's gonna have a good average too. And probably score lots of runs. Sanchez, Crawford, and Roberts are less proven and don't have the .300+ average that Pierre has become known for. That, and the fact that Pierre still stole more than any of the others last year, and supposedly gained a couple of steps this year.

Pierre practically guarantees you 50 or 60 (or maybe 70 or 80) SB's, with a good average. The others give you a "good shot" at 40 or 50 (or maybe 60) SB's.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:18 pm

Pierre is a guarantee for 50 or 60? He's got more than 50 only once, and so has Sanchez. Pierre's BA last year was .305, and it was .287 the year before, in Colorado. Sanchez hit .287 last year, and .289 the year before. And Sanchez played on one of the worst teams of the past century. Pierre's team won the World Series. Now Florida has lost 2 of it's best hitters and has a coach who doesn't like to run as much as the old coach did. Detroit has added a bunch of good players. Both guys will hit around .290, both will have no power, both will steal about 60 bases, and Pierre will score about 25 more runs. Does that make him a 5th rounder and Sanchez a 20th rounder? That's why I always draft Sanchez and leave Pierre for those who prefer players on good teams, because they don't have the facade of being one dimensional like Sanchez does.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:22 pm

At least Pierre has been a regular starter. Sanchez has never had more than 400 AB's in a season, and has had over 200 at bats only twice, 2001 and 2003.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Mrt19167 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:35 pm

Focus on dollar value for a moment. What should pierre and sanchez cost at an auction (where runs don't count)?
Mrt19167

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:02 pm

If runs don't count, then IMO they are about equal.

And Sanchez has only been in the league for 2 years, of course he wasn't always a regular starter. He will be this year, which is what matters. And going by last years stats Sanchez will steal 70 bases in a full year. Pierre had 65 in a full year and now has a coach that is less inclined to run. You guys make the call, but I know who I'm drafting...

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:01 pm

If you want to know the difference, check out how many times they both have gotten caught stealing. Sanchez wore out his welcome with other teams because he runs all the time and gets caught half of them. That's why he hasn't been a "regular" starter.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:27 pm

Sanchez was a regular starter for Detroit. He's their CF and will play every game if he's healthy, same as Pierre. Pierre isn't much more successful anyway (76% v/s 71%). He steals about 15 more times throughout the season more than Pierre anyways, so even if he's caught more often he can still not only keep up with Pierre, but steal even more bases (71 compared to 65). That's last season projected to this season.

There's no reason to think Sanchez will start less games than Pierre, or steal any less bases. Runs are the only major difference, every other stat could go either way.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers