Late Season Owner Activity Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Late Season Owner Activity Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Late Season Owner Activity Help

Postby ScottS11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:15 pm

I have been the commissioner of a 12-team 6X6 mixed rotisserie league for the past 19 years. We have used CBS for the past four seasons. We divide the league into two divisions of six and split the season into two-halves (midway point is the All-Star game). /We award prize money to the division winners each half and the top four overall point leaders. One problem our league has struggled with the past few seasons is that owners who fall behind in the standings lose interest late in the season fail to maintain rosters. Splitting the season into two halves has helped somewhat. However, we still see some owners who are lower in the standings lose interest in September (especially with football starting). I am seeking some insight and ideas from other on how to help alleviate this problem. We have thought of fining the owners for some of their inactivity, but I do not think they would pay any way of they lost interest. One solution that is intriguing to me is awarding a weekly prize amount throughout the season. Any ideas would be very helpful! Thanks!
ScottS11
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Late Season Owner Activity Help

Postby invisiblemagic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Is this a keeper league? I'm in a league where we each keep 5 guys. This year, we're trying out a system where the bottom 3 teams only get to keep 5 guys. Not a killer, but certainly something that any interested team would like to try to avoid.
invisiblemagic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ScottS11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:46 pm

We used to have keepers (three per team) but did away with it a few seasons ago.
ScottS11
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby SumG » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:10 pm

You could try doing some kind of prize money for the consolation bracket.

Also, does your place in the league determine your draft spot the following year? Something I've heard of in other leagues is that the first to miss the playoff gets 1st choice of draft slots, followed by the 2nd team to miss the playoffs, down to the bottom of the barrel, then the playoff teams.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 pm

IMO...if you play ROTO this is going to happen...just the nature of the beast. if there is no weekly battle...just a long marathon...whenever teams realize they have no shot of doing anything they will naturally not be too active.

i see nothing wrong with it...again just a side product of the settings.(which is why i like H2H better)

keepers does give some action near the end to the bottom guys...but that still wont make them care about their lineups..i know it doesnt for me. i just trade for my keepers then leave the league for the year unless someone contacts me about another trade

unless everyone is upset about it and is really wanting to do something to change it...i say leave it alone and let nature run its course. or tell teh bottom guys to be better and not near the bottom come the end of the season :-D
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RowdyRed » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 pm

I'm in a 12 team keeper league, and it's been going on for five years. I do everything I can to keep the league interesting and engaged. But there just is no way to keep a 12th place team interested once Fantasy Football starts. There's nothing to do about it. If they want to stay interested, they can. If they don't, they don't have to.
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:13 pm

We have a rule that whoever finishes last has to play treasurer the next season. That provides a little motivation to compete because nobody wants to be the guy bugging everybody else for the money.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jsbest1977 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:24 am

If you are talking about the same owner or 2 every year, replace the owner. If a team places in the bottom 4 teams for a string of X number of years, see ya.

To a point, its going to happen no matter what.

I like the one post about making the last place team play treasurer. Kinda funny but yet helpful to the league.

Also, with keepers, i would think guys would stay active as long as they are allowed. Another tought is if a team isn't setting his line up, mandate he have a co-owner...
jsbest1977
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby converge241 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:25 pm

I do 2 things in my 14 team league that I run that seems to help -

14,13, and 12 have to kick in more money next year (14 the most and 12 the least. Its only a 50 dolar league so nothing crazy 20,10,5 but people do care about saving 20,15,10,5 bucks)

the teams above 12 who dont win a guaranteed prize are entered in a lottery to get that potential penalty money the next year. The better you finish the more chances you have in the lottery. Teams that were out of it for the big guaranteed money were trying to get a chance to get some money back.

Making every single spot in the league count for "something" really seems to help. Sometimes an owner or two will just have enough and want to tune out after a long/tough season. Cant always avoid every case!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Also, at a certain level, you just have to accept that every year a few guys are going to pay less attention than others. This past year I got married in August (and drafted poorly). Two years ago one of our guys was busy getting Obama elected and another was transitioning into a new job. But as long as they still care about the league when they come back next year and don't mess things up for everyone else by doing completely unbalanced trades because they've stopped caring, I don't mind so much. It just means the contest for the lead trims itself down to 9 owners or so and that's fine.

My larger concern would be if someone just never tried in any year. In that case, I'd ask him if he really wanted to stay in the league.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner