Gently Discouraging Streaming - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Gently Discouraging Streaming

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gently Discouraging Streaming

Postby SumG » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:36 pm

carter wrote:until then i'm gonna try Hr as a pitching stat

I'm a little skeptical about adding negative categories to scoring, since someone can only have one guy go and still win the category.

That said, I did really like the suggestion of changing Ws to (W-L) that a few people of made.

For those who have suggested a weekly IP limit, what would you suggest it be set at? We have 5 active SP/P spots and 5 bench spots among 12 teams, so managers who don't stream carry anywhere between 5 and 8 starting pitchers at a time (depending on their strategy), if it matters.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions so far, they've all been really helpful!
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm

milliondollarsleeper wrote:limiting moves doesnt discourage streaming, it just limits league activity. whether you have unlimited moves or simply 2, your goal is to still start the most SP and max out your innings pitched.

adding stats like Losses only punishes pitchers and skews the scoring.

the best (and only) solution is to have a weekly max IP. currently its not an option because i am the first to actually use it. it was a lot of adding, counting and trusting other managers, but it was a success. i have bombarded yahoo with requests for the option and encouraged others to follow suit, so hopefully this year we will be able to take a step in the right direction.

between my 5x7 scoring and weekly max ip, i plan on changing the way ppl play h2h baseball

Prior to last season we decided to implement a tool to curtail streaming in h2h leagues that chose to do so. The option we chose was a limit on max weekly adds in h2h leagues. The option you suggest is another viable alternative, and is one we considered, it just didn't happen to be the one we chose. It has shortcomings as are mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Any time you try to implement a limit like IP or starts, you run into the dilemma of what to do when a team blows through that limit on the last day. Our solution for max gp or max ip in a season-long roto or points style league is to say, "Since we have no reliable/predictable way to decide which pitcher/outfielder(s) to count, we count all of them, and document that we do so." That works out reasonably well, and is at least predictable and consistent for all managers. Apparently the gentlemen in Bristol agree with our approach ;-) However, applying similar limits to the small sample size of a week makes the problem more acute. If someone plays their cards right and squeezes in an extra starter or two over the course of a season, that is one thing. If someone manages to stream such that they need 0.1 IP on the last day, and play 4 starters that day, that is a substantial percentage of your overall IP for the week that you can blow through the cap. By applying a limit to the number of players you can add, there is no such fenceposting problem. You have to add players one at a time, and eventually you hit the limit and we say no. The value of this parameter is configurable (I think between 0 and 20, if memory serves?), so any given league can choose what number strikes the balance between being active and streaming.

Is it perfect? Nope. But we judged it to be the best solution we could implement in the time we had available, and it seems to be working well for a lot of leagues. Just educating people on what we have available. Hope this helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 94)

Postby bigmck » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:53 pm

This year I am playing in only my second H2H league. I normally play Roto. Since you guys are more versed in H2H than I am, I would like to ask some questions about streaming. The league is a 12 team H2H points league, NL only, daily lineups. == We have 9 active hitters, 6 active pitchers and 7 reserve players. No limits on roster moves in a week. Do you think streaming would be much less of a problem since there are fewer free agent pitchers that are good. It seems to me that most of the good pitchers would be on rosters after the Draft and streaming would be a minimal problem. Do you see it this way?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:34 pm

If you are looking for Quality instead of Quantity, why not do the following for Streamers:

Win % instead of Wins
K's/9 instead of Just K's

Or add a Category like Total Bases allowed?

Or all of those?
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pochucker » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 am

Ill say it again --one buck for every transaction 2bucks per trade adds up. Had additional 550dollars in our prize fund and that was in weekly format. Some guys spent 1odollars some spent 100.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:20 pm

The best way I have seen is just to go to weekly lineup changes... PERIOD.

It is also the leagues best enjoyed by the lazy and/or extremely busy folks. ;-D
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SumG » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:49 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:The best way I have seen is just to go to weekly lineup changes... PERIOD.

It is also the leagues best enjoyed by the lazy and/or extremely busy folks. ;-D

I think this kind of solution is a little too extreme for what I'm looking for. I don't want to prevent people from picking up a spot starter at the end of the week in a close matchup. I just want to make it more costly to stream pitchers, to the point where everybody would choose to keep a couple of good starters on their rosters instead of just streaming pitchers.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 pm

SumG wrote:
FantasySportsMaven wrote:The best way I have seen is just to go to weekly lineup changes... PERIOD.

I think this kind of solution is a little too extreme for what I'm looking for. I don't want to prevent people from picking up a spot starter at the end of the week in a close matchup. I just want to make it more costly to stream pitchers, to the point where everybody would choose to keep a couple of good starters on their rosters instead of just streaming pitchers.

Well, I guess I don't see the fairness of disallowing or even gently disallowing pitcher streaming then? I see no difference between winning the week by streaming every night or winning the week by selectively streaming? Both involve picking up a non roster SP(or 2 or 3) to start in order to beat a team which has a previously selected starting SP lineup superior to your own?

Seems to me like you are in favor of streaming SPs but just aren't as good or as dedicated at others when it comes to doing it full time? ;-)
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SumG » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:56 am

FantasySportsMaven wrote:I see no difference between winning the week by streaming every night or winning the week by selectively streaming? Both involve picking up a non roster SP(or 2 or 3) to start in order to beat a team which has a previously selected starting SP lineup superior to your own?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, then. I think there is a massive difference between an owner who picks up an extra SP heading into the last day of the week in a close match-up, but still has a good pitching staff, and an owner who doesn't have a draftable SP on his roster.

Suffice it to say, instituting a policy where a manager is incapable substituting out injured players in the middle of a week, where it's impossible to manage around a single bad match-up for an individual player, and where pitching categories could very easily be determined by who had more 2 start pitchers in given week is just unacceptable.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 pm

I guess we do disagree then?

I guess that picking up a couple of extra SPs for the last day is not much different than a H2H league team who sits all their players on the last day when they see that they will have already won a majority of the cats by dong so.

You could also just limit teams weekly moves to 2 or so. That way you can have your cake without worrying about daily streaming.

I am in a weekly lineup league and the smart owners make their drops and adds of SPs by Sunday night based on projected starts for the following week. If someone gets injured during the week, that is just tough luck for that team.
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner