Mets FAIL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets FAIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mets FAIL

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
The Mets traded away good prospects, just Milledge and Escobar were the only superstar prospects. Escobar had peaked as a prospect when he was traded but wasn't viewed as a total bust yet, then he tore his ACL and his career was basically over. Yusmeiro Petit was ranked 69 in the 2006 BA Top 100, his ranking took a hit from 2005 when it was clear he has a polished prospect but viewed strictly as a #3/innings eater type guy, still a good prospect. Gomez was ranked 60th, had the speed and glove but was a tools guy who didn't pan out. Guerra had a ton of upside before the Mets ruined him by rushing him along and Humber was considered solid also.

I wasn't necessarily talking about top 100 BA prospects. I was talking about all of the raw latin kids that were playing A ball as teenagers and moving up despite mediocre results. Gomez/FMart/Flores/Marte/Guerra and it feels like a half dozen names that I forget now. Flores and Marte are STILL only 20.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:11 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 am

kab21 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
The Mets traded away good prospects, just Milledge and Escobar were the only superstar prospects. Escobar had peaked as a prospect when he was traded but wasn't viewed as a total bust yet, then he tore his ACL and his career was basically over. Yusmeiro Petit was ranked 69 in the 2006 BA Top 100, his ranking took a hit from 2005 when it was clear he has a polished prospect but viewed strictly as a #3/innings eater type guy, still a good prospect. Gomez was ranked 60th, had the speed and glove but was a tools guy who didn't pan out. Guerra had a ton of upside before the Mets ruined him by rushing him along and Humber was considered solid also.

I wasn't necessarily talking about top 100 BA prospects. I was talking about all of the raw latin kids that were playing A ball as teenagers and moving up despite mediocre results. Gomez/FMart/Flores/Marte/Guerra and it feels like a half dozen names that I forget now. Flores and Marte are STILL only 20.

I'm amazed that Tejada has been playing well in the bigs so far, he's another latin guy that was extremely rushed but looks like a solid leadoff guy so far, hope they don't bump him down for junk like Torres. At least Omar is long gone so there isn't a GM aggressively pushing prospects just to keep his job and not looking out for the player's best interests (see Mejia, Jennry).

I'm really looking forward to 2013 myself, cannot wait to see Wheeler and Harvey in the bigs and the Mets are done with rushing every single solid prospect. Johan, Niese, Dickey, Wheeler, and Harvey would be a nice rotation with Mejia being fully recovered and playing into the mix as well.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:50 am

Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Through 18 innings, the Mets have not scored a single Run while Johan Santana has been pitching in a game this season. Run Support: Zero... point... zero.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 am

bigh0rt wrote:Through 18 innings, the Mets have not scored a single Run while Johan Santana has been pitching in a game this season. Run Support: Zero... point... zero.

:-b

Mets fan booing Reyes last night belongs in the fail thread, pretty classless. Like Gary and Keith said, he's a top 5 Met on offense ever. He only left because the team wasn't going to make a serious offer to him (which was the right call for us). I suppose that's New York for you, they'd probably boo Jeter if he ever got forced out and came back with another team.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Tavish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Grounded Polo wrote: Like Gary and Keith said, he's a top 5 Met on offense ever.

That might be taking things a little too far in the Reyes lovefest.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Tavish wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote: Like Gary and Keith said, he's a top 5 Met on offense ever.

That might be taking things a little too far in the Reyes lovefest.

That's and intresting question. The top 3 seem pretty easy to me, Piazza, Wright and Strawberry. After that it gets a little dicey. Maybe Beltran or Keith Hernandez for 4 and 5. I could see the arguement for Reyes in the top 5.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:55 pm

it's certainly an interesting debate. I think Mookie Wilson needs to be in the discussion too ;-7

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/leaders_bat.shtml

Offensive WAR

Rank Player Offensive WAR PA
1. David Wright 38.2 4783
2. Darryl Strawberry 36.3 4549
3. Howard Johnson 33.2 4591
4. Mike Piazza 30.5 3941
5. Carlos Beltran 27.8 3640
6. Jose Reyes 27.7 4840
7. Edgardo Alfonzo 24.9 4449
8. Keith Hernandez 20.8 3684
9. Cleon Jones 18.9 4683
10. Mookie Wilson 18.7 4308

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby Tavish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:59 pm

I always seem to think Olerud played more years with the Mets than he actually did.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers