Dynasty Team WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Dynasty Team WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Team WHIR

Postby Montana168 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:33 pm

it is a h2h yahoo 5x5 cat 10-team dynasty league 30 player roster, 3 DL spots (keep every player, then a 2 round draft every yr for rooks/free agents, must drop one to pick up one if at max roster size). my team did unbelievably well in the regular season. after the third week of the season i was in 1st place and held that spot every week until the playoffs (had a gap of 30 games up on the 2nd place team at one point). however, i got derailed in the 2nd round of the playoffs due to poor sept. from some power guys like JM (had to deal him), kinsler, reynolds etc. lost that week but would have won the championship if i wouldnt hav gotten unlucky (biggest downfall in h2h).

there are many ways i could go with this team bcuz i have a bunch of young guys with nice sleeper value but it boils down to jay bruce vs. jason heyward. i have already completed rich harden (and possibly bartlett) for the #5 overall pick in the draft. so that gives me the #5 and #8 (my own) in the 1st to deal. bruce will come cheaper (something like posey, weaver, street) and heyward will be more expensive (something like posey, weaver, street, and my 2 1st round picks). ive been trying to come up with a way to get both but its not possible without deal my studs. i plan on going after 1 of those 2 guys so that i have a high ceiling OF prospect that the others dont give me.

so do i go after heyward only (lose the picks), or do i go after bruce which will allow me to also get 1 of smoak or jennings in the draft (will still have ammo to move up 1-2 spots to guarantee 1 of those 2) because OF depth and a backup 1b are clearly my only weaknesses?

heres my roster:

C Brian McCann
1b Mark Reynolds
2b Ian Kinsler
3b Alex Rodriguez
SS Troy Tulowitzki
OF Matt Kemp
OF Ben Zobrist
OF Bobby Abreu
UTIL OF Carlos Gonzalez
UTIL OF Julio Borbon
BN OF Nolan Reimold
BN SS Jason Bartlett
BN 2b Sean Rodriguez
BN C Buster Posey

SP CC Sabathia
SP Jake Peavy
RP Mariano Rivera
RP Joe Nathan
P Jonathon Broxton
P Huston Street
P Bobby Jenks
BN Chad Billingsley
BN Clayton Kershaw
BN Josh Johnson
BN Joba Chamberlain
BN Phil Hughes
BN Jered Weaver
BN Javier Vasquez
BN Rich Harden
BN Jeremy Hellickson

as always leave a link and i will help you out as well.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Team WHIR

Postby galante22 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 pm

wow thats a tough one...perosnally i think heyward is going to be a stud hittin for around 30 homers and .300 average consistently down the road...he also has some speed to him...hes a little further away then jay bruce time wise, but i think with bruce you get more of an adam dunn type player and with heyard you get more of a bruan or sizemore caliber type player...id go with heyward, but dont take my word alone for it as drafting prospects or "futures" is not my forte haha. good luck!
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KrazyA428 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 pm

I like Heyward a lot - but I think he makes a bigger impact on Fantasy teams next season. Giving up both of your picks is too high of a price in my opinion. Then again, Bruce wasn't that great last season...but if I had to pick between the two (also taking into account the cost of getting them) I'd have to go with Bruce Almighty.
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby jsbest1977 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:33 am

I like Heyward over Bruce but not at that price tag. I'd keep bruce under this situation.
jsbest1977
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Rooster Cogburn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 am

I'd have to agree here. Heyward has a much bigger upside but probably doesn't show it until 2011 (like Upton last year). If you think you can live w/o the production in 2010 then I'd take him but he'll probably end up putting up Francour #'s in 2010...Votto maybe your best bet for a championship this year. Personally though Heyward's going to be a stud, you can keep all player's indefinitely? if so I'd keep him, I mean, I assume that most of the top rookies are already taken no? and I'd much rather have a hitter prospect than a P anyday.
Rooster Cogburn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Montana168 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:15 am

I'd have to agree here. Heyward has a much bigger upside but probably doesn't show it until 2011 (like Upton last year). If you think you can live w/o the production in 2010 then I'd take him but he'll probably end up putting up Francour #'s in 2010...Votto maybe your best bet for a championship this year. Personally though Heyward's going to be a stud, you can keep all player's indefinitely? if so I'd keep him, I mean, I assume that most of the top rookies are already taken no? and I'd much rather have a hitter prospect than a P anyday.

yes we keep all our players without any penalties. this is a yahoo league so the only rookies that are currently owned are the ones that were in the database lat yr (such as posey and bumgarner). we don't have a minors system (even though i wish we did) so we only go by the players that are available in the yahoo database.

also it bruce not votto :-D . does that change your perspective or was it merely a typo? i agree that heyward could see a slow-learning curve because he is so young and while it would be nice to have a bat like him hit right away in my lineup, it is not an absolute need since i can plug abreu in his spot and get underrated 100/15/100/20/.300 production out of him until heyward breaks out.

thanks for all the help guys, i still have not come close to making a decision, lol. while it is obvious, that bruce may be the better value, i fear that my lineup will be too prone for slumps/strikeouts. reynolds, arod, tulo, kemp, kinsler (altho kinsler does not K alot but has wild slumps) are all very high strikeout batters. while most of those can keep still manage to keep a .300+ avg, it still makes them prone to seeing long dips in the avg over a period of time if their not in a comfort zone. bruce would only add to that risk as he would be the 2nd high K hitter behind reynolds. bruce's avg worries me but he had a .330+ career avg in AAA so that potential is still there, whereas heyward is much more of a disciplined hitter as far as K/BB rates go (almost even).
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby aplviper » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for helping with mine.

So it's either 3 players for Votto or 3 players and 2 first round picks for Heyward? I love Heyward, but Votto should be great too, and he's already proven he can rake in the big leagues. I would probably go after Votto, don't give up Posey unless you absolutely have to, and keep your picks. In terms of Jennings or Smoak, I would definitely go after Jennings first.
aplviper
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chargerss24 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:45 pm

I like the deal of landing Bruce and the shot of landing either Smoak or Jennings. Although I would love to have Heyward, I just don't think I can pay the steep price of getting him. Bruce will help you this year foward, where Heyward won't be much of an impact for you this year.

Thanks for the help on mine. If you would, check out my post again, I want your opinion on a solution that I came up with. ;-D

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=399847&p=3186547#p3186547
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:56 am

chargerss24 wrote:I like the deal of landing Bruce and the shot of landing either Smoak or Jennings. Although I would love to have Heyward, I just don't think I can pay the steep price of getting him. Bruce will help you this year foward, where Heyward won't be much of an impact for you this year.

Yup!
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby APAP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm going to go with what looks like the majority here and say go with Bruce. I personally like Bruce a great amount, and I think hes your best option in this situation and look to get Smoak. Bruce has been preforming tremendously well and will give you those numbers again this year for sure, if not better than last year. Hes your best bet to help you now, and idk how much better numbers Heyward will put up than Bruce once he actually gets to the ML level. Id say go Bruce.
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team