RIP Howard Zinn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

RIP Howard Zinn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RIP Howard Zinn

Postby thedude » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 am

NEW YORK — Howard Zinn, the leftist academic whose alternative history of the United States became required reading for millions of ordinary people, as well as a following of celebrities, has died. He was 87.

Zinn's death was confirmed by his website, www.howardzinn.org. The Boston Globe reported that the cause of death was heart attack and that he died Wednesday while traveling in Santa Monica, California.

An anti-Vietnam war activist and champion of the post-World War II civil rights movement for blacks in the United States, Zinn was at the forefront of the country's social upheaval between the 1950s and 1970s.

But he was most famous for his 1980 "A People's History of the United States," which sold millions of copies.

In this radical reordering of the familiar story, the heroes were not the US Founding Fathers but early trade union activists, feminists and leaders of other leftwing causes.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... cME2OD_-xQ
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: RIP Howard Zinn

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:34 am

thedude wrote:
NEW YORK — Howard Zinn, the leftist academic whose alternative history of the United States became required reading for millions of ordinary people, as well as a following of celebrities, has died. He was 87.

Zinn's death was confirmed by his website, http://www.howardzinn.org. The Boston Globe reported that the cause of death was heart attack and that he died Wednesday while traveling in Santa Monica, California.

An anti-Vietnam war activist and champion of the post-World War II civil rights movement for blacks in the United States, Zinn was at the forefront of the country's social upheaval between the 1950s and 1970s.

But he was most famous for his 1980 "A People's History of the United States," which sold millions of copies.

In this radical reordering of the familiar story, the heroes were not the US Founding Fathers but early trade union activists, feminists and leaders of other leftwing causes.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... cME2OD_-xQ

Bandwidth has already been exceeded you can't even access his site. This really hot chick in a philosophy class in college was all about Zinn so I checked out a couple documentaries about him. A very interesting man with a rabid following. Even if you don't agree with his viewpoints I think the world could use more people like him.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 am

I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say that A People's History of the United States changed my life. As far as late-20th Century liberal thinkers go, I'll take Zinn over Chomsky, and just about anyone else. Even if you disagree with every word he's ever written or uttered, I don't think you can deny the social significance of his work.

Patriotism is not obedience to government; patriotism is obedience to the principles for which government is supposed to stand
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:24 pm

People's History of the United States

One of the best books you could ever read. Masterpiece.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm

never heard of him...hopefully this will come in handy in some future trivia endevor though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:never heard of him...hopefully this will come in handy in some future trivia endevor though

Spell checker would help too ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Return to General Talk