the most important stats for ranking pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the most important stats for ranking pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

the most important stats for ranking pitchers

Postby kickureface » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:19 pm

what do you guys think? i am asking what stats are most important to determine whether or not a pitcher will have a good/bad season (or improve/decline over the season based on gaudy numbers).

i recall looking into this slightly but dont remember all the details. hopefully one of the vets on here knows.

stuff like babip to consider an unexpected high era from a top pitcher, k/bb for control (whip fantasy category), and stuff like that.
12x23
Keep: 1IF, 1OF, 1SP, 1RP
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, BB, K, 1B, 2B, (3B, E, GS)
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HLD, IP, QS, (L, BS, CG)

C: Montero
1B: Teix
2B: Roberts
3B: Longoria
SS: Nishioka
LF: Holliday
CF: Rios
RF: Bruce
OF: Pence
IF: Kila
Util: Raburn
kickureface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: the most important stats for ranking pitchers

Postby Captain Furtah » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:26 pm

I would start with walks/9 - strikeouts/9 and groundball to flyball ratio

also look at xBAA (expected Batting Average Against) to see if it was much higher, or lower, than what it should have been

for all this information, you should go do the research and post the top 5-10 pitcher in each category...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kickureface » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm

thanks, how would i measure them up against each category? as in, players 1-5 are tops in BB-K/9 but none are there for fb/gb ratio?

furthermore, what's the significance of fb/gb?
12x23
Keep: 1IF, 1OF, 1SP, 1RP
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, BB, K, 1B, 2B, (3B, E, GS)
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HLD, IP, QS, (L, BS, CG)

C: Montero
1B: Teix
2B: Roberts
3B: Longoria
SS: Nishioka
LF: Holliday
CF: Rios
RF: Bruce
OF: Pence
IF: Kila
Util: Raburn
kickureface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm

kickureface wrote:thanks, how would i measure them up against each category? as in, players 1-5 are tops in BB-K/9 but none are there for fb/gb ratio?

furthermore, what's the significance of fb/gb?

www.fangraphs.com
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Ender » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 pm

You can look at xFIP to get an idea of a players true talent, it is far from perfect but it is better than the other composite stats imo.

You want to draft for K as much as you can since it is the one pitcher stat that doesn't vary a lot. Then I'd go for WHIP since lower WHIP pitchers tend to see less year to year variance.

As for actually judging pitchers you want to look at their rate of BB, K and GB above all else. Those 3 stats dictate the majority of what makes a pitcher good or bad. After that you can look at LOB%, BABIP, HR/FB. Those 3 stats have a lot of variation in them but pitchers do control it some as well. A pitcher like Dave Bush has a career long problem with LOB% and you shouldn't assume it will just fix itself, a decent pitcher with a 1 year sample of bad LOB% is probably going to improve the next season. A heavy GB% pitcher is going to always have high BABIP etc.

Also of course how deep into games they pitch and what teams they play on matter quite a bit for W.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 pm

I almost ignore Ws. Pitchers on better teams with top offenses and bullpens will in general have more chances for W's, but I hate to use it for anything other than deciding between two guys that I think are very similar based on other stats. Seems to fluctuate so much year to year that using it for rankings incorrectly distorts rankings.

I agree with Ender - I look at Ks and WHIP. More specifically K/9, WHIP and K/BB. In a league with strict IP max I'll pay more attention to K/9 and in leagues without maxes I'll pay more attention to WHIP and K/BB. I figure in HTH leagues and others that don't have IP maxes if you get lower ratios you can just have more mid-tier SP depth to make up for an opponent having superior K/9.

I've never really looked at xFIP before, but that is on the to-do list to bring into the evaluating this year.
Last edited by hot4tx on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Mainly xFIP and GB/FB/LD rates. I also look at movement charts that fangraphs offers, the guys who throw it dead straight are the worst targets. It's simple to figure out, basically just look at Lincecum's charts and compare with who you're checking out to get an idea of what you want to see. Major changes like a super high HR rate compared to his career is another thing to take into account. I don't think xFIP can tell you if Ervin Santana suddenly started throwing at 93 MPH again in September for example.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby dicehound » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 am

I've been playing fantasy baseball for a long time and my eyes glaze over at all the new fancy stats out there. I know I'm just an old man and I need to get with the times because I'm sure those stats are useful, but my alltime favorite stat to help me forecast a pitcher's success is batting average against. It's served me well and still does, and I don't need a degree to understand it.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:27 am

Here are some charts on GB/K/BB rates that were very helpful last year. Hopefully they do that again soon this year.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2009/02/post_6.php

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/20 ... ing_re.php

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 6XKw&gid=0

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:09 am

I just throw darts with pitcher's names on it and the dart that's closest or right at the bull's eye is the pitcher I take.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers