Johnny Damon Destination ??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnny Damon Destination ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I forgot about the Willis extension. What the heck where they thinking when they did that?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Magglio is going to be signed for 2011 when he hits his GP/AB limits.

They can't let that happen. They basically have to do what the Jays did to Thomas.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:56 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:I forgot about the Willis extension. What the heck where they thinking when they did that?

They didn't do their homework :-t
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Willis extension was a stipulation in the Cabrera trade or something along those lines?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:53 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Magglio is going to be signed for 2011 when he hits his GP/AB limits.

They can't let that happen. They basically have to do what the Jays did to Thomas.

I don't know if this is true or not, but on MLB radio a couple weeks ago they were talking about this and said that you can't drop a player just to avoid vesting a year or reaching a performance bonus. I don't know if it was something specifically in Ordonez's contract or what. They could only drop him if his performance was significantly declined below whoever they decided to play in his place. They might have been able to justify dropping him early in the season but I don't know how much sample size plays into these cases. But he ended the season with a 2nd half that you couldn't justifiably release him to avoid the vesting options. Again, the MLB radio guys could have been full of hot air.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:01 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Willis extension was a stipulation in the Cabrera trade or something along those lines?

Nope.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Willis extension was a stipulation in the Cabrera trade or something along those lines?

Nope.

Yeah, I was wrong. Either way his contract was the most excusable of their bad contacts because of his track record at that point. Yes he was coming off a bad half-season, but I don't think anybody could have foreseen the train wreck that was coming. Plus we got Cabrera in the same deal so oh well.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:If they sign Damon, it's likely they will be a better all around team than they were last year, while getting younger and cheaper in the process.

The offense takes a small hit in the short term IMO but the big thing to me is their defense is going to be much worse.
Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello will look pretty good in a few years. Are they really going to be cheaper? It seems like they actually added a little bit of payroll if they sign Damon.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:If they sign Damon, it's likely they will be a better all around team than they were last year, while getting younger and cheaper in the process.

The offense takes a small hit in the short term IMO but the big thing to me is their defense is going to be much worse.
Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello will look pretty good in a few years. Are they really going to be cheaper? It seems like they actually added a little bit of payroll if they sign Damon.

Today I read that if Damon is signed, they might send Jackson down to get more seasoning in the minors. That would put Clete Thomas in center.....who is a great defensive player. Damon would be an upgrade over Guillen/Raburn and Maggs is Maggs. With this I'd say the defense might actually be better because Thomas is good. Offensively it's hard to say....I suppose it depends on Damon.

With price I suppose it's also a wash or so.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MTUCache » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:00 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Today I read that if Damon is signed, they might send Jackson down to get more seasoning in the minors. That would put Clete Thomas in center.....who is a great defensive player. Damon would be an upgrade over Guillen/Raburn and Maggs is Maggs. With this I'd say the defense might actually be better because Thomas is good. Offensively it's hard to say....I suppose it depends on Damon.

With price I suppose it's also a wash or so.

If the bottom half of our order looks like Inge:Thomas:Laird/Avila:Everett there's going to be people standing in line trying to stab Dombrowski in the face with a rusty shovel. Thomas/Laird/Everett may not get 100 RBIs combined the entire season. That would be a freaking disaster lineup.

Clete's a great guy, and he's definitely above-average defensively, but his average is awful, his OBP sad, and his power numbers even worse. It's going to take a TREMENDOUS improvement in his hitting to stick with the major league club.

If we're sticking him in CF just to save ourselves a couple runs per month, we'd be much better off committing to AJax and letting him hit further down in the order. For any "seasoning" that AJax is going to need in the minors, Clete's going to need just as much if not more to work on his hitting.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers