Johnny Damon Destination ??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnny Damon Destination ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby Surfs up » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Then don't :-D Your option
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4779
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Damon is in a pretty good spot. He knows there still two or three teams that can use his services.

Really? The Braves were interested for $2 million and then backed out. The White Sox were interested for about $6 million (if I'm not mistaken) and pulled out. Nobody was going more than one year. Detroit is stupid to go two years especially with the other contracts they have on the books right now.

He's a good player that will help what ever team he signs with.

Good, yes, but he won't be Yankee Stadium good...and he's a pretty big liability in the outfield

Why rush into a contract?

Rush? Uh, it's almost in March and pitchers and catchers have already reported...

There are much worse contracts out there then what Damon is asking for

Yes, there are...and some big ones are right there in Detroit. All the reason to get Damon at a reasonable one year deal.
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:26 pm

I don't think Detroit ever actually offered a two year deal.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby MotorCityKitties » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Rotoworld:
Sources told ESPN that the Tigers and Johnny Damon have come to terms on a one-year, $8 million contract.
Damon will become the Tigers' primary left fielder, leaving Carlos Guillen in the DH spot and pushing Ryan Raburn back to the bench. He'll probably bat second behind Austin Jackson. His fantasy value won't be nearly the same as it was in New York, but he'll be a real asset as the Tigers try to win the AL Central.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1371
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby MotorCityKitties » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:36 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I don't think Detroit ever actually offered a two year deal.


I agree. There's speculation that Illitch ok'd a 2 year deal, but Dombrowski didn't want to. I'm happy with a one year deal. This article suggests he will be worth $8-10million this year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/damons-value
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1371
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby Surfs up » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:45 pm

7 million 8 million or 10 million If its only one year no big deal. Yes the Tigers do have several bad contracts . Damon is a proven player. Willis, Robertson , Guillen and hopefully Ordonez will come off the books after this season. And next year Inge will be gone. They need to get some of the kids PT . One year for Damon is a good signing in my opinion.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4779
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:13 am

Surfs up wrote:7 million 8 million or 10 million If its only one year no big deal. Yes the Tigers do have several bad contracts . Damon is a proven player. Willis, Robertson , Guillen and hopefully Ordonez will come off the books after this season. And next year Inge will be gone. They need to get some of the kids PT . One year for Damon is a good signing in my opinion.


Oh I read this wrong.... Ya definitely if its one year deal its fine. As long as they don't go two than its a fine deal. There is just no reason to give him two years.
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1893
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby Surfs up » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:27 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
Surfs up wrote:7 million 8 million or 10 million If its only one year no big deal. Yes the Tigers do have several bad contracts . Damon is a proven player. Willis, Robertson , Guillen and hopefully Ordonez will come off the books after this season. And next year Inge will be gone. They need to get some of the kids PT . One year for Damon is a good signing in my opinion.


This is like Tub girl...in words

:-)
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4779
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby The Mighty Trow » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:40 am

why oh why am i so curious
Image
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1550
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby smoovethug » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Damon is in a pretty good spot. He knows there still two or three teams that can use his services.

Really? The Braves were interested for $2 million and then backed out. The White Sox were interested for about $6 million (if I'm not mistaken) and pulled out. Nobody was going more than one year. Detroit is stupid to go two years especially with the other contracts they have on the books right now.

He's a good player that will help what ever team he signs with.

Good, yes, but he won't be Yankee Stadium good...and he's a pretty big liability in the outfield

Why rush into a contract?

Rush? Uh, it's almost in March and pitchers and catchers have already reported...

There are much worse contracts out there then what Damon is asking for

Yes, there are...and some big ones are right there in Detroit. All the reason to get Damon at a reasonable one year deal.


mweir would be proud.
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8955
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Oakland at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact