100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnny Damon Destination ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Johnny Damon Destination ???

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:24 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:If they sign Damon, it's likely they will be a better all around team than they were last year, while getting younger and cheaper in the process.

The offense takes a small hit in the short term IMO but the big thing to me is their defense is going to be much worse.
Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello will look pretty good in a few years. Are they really going to be cheaper? It seems like they actually added a little bit of payroll if they sign Damon.

Today I read that if Damon is signed, they might send Jackson down to get more seasoning in the minors. That would put Clete Thomas in center.....who is a great defensive player. Damon would be an upgrade over Guillen/Raburn and Maggs is Maggs. With this I'd say the defense might actually be better because Thomas is good. Offensively it's hard to say....I suppose it depends on Damon.

With price I suppose it's also a wash or so.

AJax is considered a plus defender already, so I'm not sure how much better Thomas would be defensively.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Jackson more seasoning? He hasn't played a day in the majors. They will have Sizemore another guy who has not played one game in the majors at second base. Laird, Everett and Inge . Those names will all draw fear from the opposing pitcher.The Tigers need Damon to help Cabrera. Whos he going to drive in? He may not have 450 offical at bats . They could walk him or pitch him . A solo hr isn't so bad.
Damon can also be used as trade bait if the Tigers aren't in the hunt. I think its a good signing even if its two years. Hes still very productive and the can move him to center and DH once in a while to get rest and at bats for the others. Maybe they will pay too much but they need his help.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Jackson starting the season in the majors would be like a atomic bomb.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby apz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:I don't know why the Tigers would do that? Who else is bidding on him?
This is what I've been thinking. The Braves offer isn't even close. Why would the Tigers offer 2 years and $14m?
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:54 pm

The White Sox have snuck in via the window?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/02/johnny-damon-rumors-wednesday-1.html

6:26pm: Joe Cowley talks to Pierzynski about the Damon negotiations, and Cowley quotes an unnamed member of the White Sox who says "I would be surprised if [Damon] didn't sign with us.''

4:13pm: Rosenthal tweets that the present-day value of Chicago's offer to Damon is in the $4.5MM range, considering deferrals. He's hearing that Damon doesn't want to go to the Tigers. As for Damon's wife's preferences, the player texted to SI's Jon Heyman that "It's up to me. She's going wherever I go." Cowley tweets that the Sox "are going from long shots to frontrunners in the Damon sweepstakes the last few hours."

BUT DAMON LIKES TEH RED WINGS??? :-b :-b

If the White Sox are offering $4.5mil why would you turn down the 2x$7mil that Detroit were allegedly offering? :-S
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby silverZ » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm

As a dynasty owner i would love him signing with the White Sox. Gotta think playing in that park/lineup will lead to better numbers than signing with the tigers..
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Chicago 2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:52 pm

AussieDodger wrote:The White Sox have snuck in via the window?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/02/johnny-damon-rumors-wednesday-1.html

6:26pm: Joe Cowley talks to Pierzynski about the Damon negotiations, and Cowley quotes an unnamed member of the White Sox who says "I would be surprised if [Damon] didn't sign with us.''

4:13pm: Rosenthal tweets that the present-day value of Chicago's offer to Damon is in the $4.5MM range, considering deferrals. He's hearing that Damon doesn't want to go to the Tigers. As for Damon's wife's preferences, the player texted to SI's Jon Heyman that "It's up to me. She's going wherever I go." Cowley tweets that the Sox "are going from long shots to frontrunners in the Damon sweepstakes the last few hours."

BUT DAMON LIKES TEH RED WINGS??? :-b :-b

If the White Sox are offering $4.5mil why would you turn down the 2x$7mil that Detroit were allegedly offering? :-S

Because the White Sox are supposed to be a better team this year than Detroit and I'm sure Damon's relationship with AJ Pierzynski also helps as well.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Surfs up » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Right field in Comerica is very reachable for Damon . Also could leg out a few doubles and triples in left and right center.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 pm

If he does sign with the White Sox,it's going to be one hell of an outfield shuffle...Damon, Quentin, Rios, Pierre and Jones
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Chicago 2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:If he does sign with the White Sox,it's going to be one hell of an outfield shuffle...Damon, Quentin, Rios, Pierre and Jones

I figure Damon and Quentin would be rotating in and out of the DH spot.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers