ipad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ipad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ipad

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Is it just me or is Steve Jobs like a modern day Willie Wonka?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: ipad

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
knapplc wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:I thought about this, but the early reviews right now are killing the product.......totally different than any other major Apple product released in the last ten years. I don't think their plan was to come out with a horrible first-gen product and then save the day down the line.

Killing it for who, though. The guy who's going to buy this thing isn't going to be dissuaded because of product reviews. He's the guy who's gnashing his teeth because he couldn't get over to San Francisco for the live unveiling of this thing, and/or couldn't watch it on the webcast. There are a LOT of hipster doofuses out there like this. I've worked with several, and in my anecdotal experience, they've all got hipster friends who can't wait to buy these products, too.

As for the whole "sheeple" thing, how is buying this any different than buying Cubs season tickets? You're getting them for the fun of getting them, not because you're acquiring a top-notch product. It's a novelty and at least the iPad is wrapped up in a pretty package. The Cubs... not so much.


let me see if i have this straight...the Cubs are interested in the ipad :-?

To clarify - the Cubs are interested in a refurbished 2010 iPad when it becomes available in 2013.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: ipad

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 pm

knapplc wrote:Killing it for who, though. The guy who's going to buy this thing isn't going to be dissuaded because of product reviews. He's the guy who's gnashing his teeth because he couldn't get over to San Francisco for the live unveiling of this thing, and/or couldn't watch it on the webcast. There are a LOT of hipster doofuses out there like this. I've worked with several, and in my anecdotal experience, they've all got hipster friends who can't wait to buy these products, too.


As big as Apple is, I don't think they are above pushing a relatively crappy product past the continually more informed consumer and expect to totally "get away with it". Yes, there will be the wide-eyed fanboys who would buy a turd in a box as long as the Apple logo is attached, but I literally haven't found one positive review of this product. Like dodgerfan said, it opens up the market for others to step in and at least grab a share, if not more. At least the first-gen iPod broke some barriers and set a foundation to build for the future. There is literally nothing about this product that you cannot do with something else that is either cheaper or more mobile. If anything I guess this product will really test the intelligence of the average consumer because if Apple is able to successfully push this product, they really probably could crap in a box and sell it.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: ipad

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Apple has branded themselves as the Ferrari of the tech world. They'll sell this product because people just think Apple makes superior stuff in this area. If Ferrari put out a crappy model (I'm sure they have, someone help) it wouldn't kill the brand, it's just a car that wouldn't sell.

The average user of stuff has no idea what they're missing if they buy it. It's work to keep up with tech innovations, so if you don't keep up, it's pretty easy to buy that turd in a pretty box and not know it smells until you get it home.

Apple is in a position to get away with stuff like this at least once, if not a couple of times, before they start getting a bad enough reputation to damage sales.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: ipad

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:47 pm

knapplc wrote:If Ferrari put out a crappy model (I'm sure they have, someone help) it wouldn't kill the brand, it's just a car that wouldn't sell.


I'm not saying it would kill the brand, but it's a massive missed opportunity....one that could have very negative long-term effects if someone else can successfully enter this market. After all, Jobs has pushed this product as "the most important thing I have ever done".
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: ipad

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:54 pm

I should stop using analogies in my posts. They're never very good. :-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: ipad

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm

knapplc wrote:I should stop using analogies in my posts. They're never very good. :-D

knapplc is like the Cubs of using analogies. :-D
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 337)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: ipad

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote:I should stop using analogies in my posts. They're never very good. :-D

knapplc is like the Cubs of using analogies. :-D


Is it possible to overpay for an old washed up analogy?
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: ipad

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

knapplc wrote:Apple has branded themselves as the Ferrari of the tech world. They'll sell this product because people just think Apple makes superior stuff in this area. If Ferrari put out a crappy model (I'm sure they have, someone help) it wouldn't kill the brand, it's just a car that wouldn't sell.

The average user of stuff has no idea what they're missing if they buy it. It's work to keep up with tech innovations, so if you don't keep up, it's pretty easy to buy that turd in a pretty box and not know it smells until you get it home.

Apple is in a position to get away with stuff like this at least once, if not a couple of times, before they start getting a bad enough reputation to damage sales.


I think you are underestimating the sophistication levels of the average tech consumer. I can't see Apple fanboys blindly handing out $500 without at least some proper research. And the reviews right now from respected sources in the tech community such as G4tv, Engadget, etc. are hammering this product. Apple Fanboys read reviews and like money just like the rest of us.

I think this product is designed to test the waters and get feedback from consumers and critics alike for the next version which will undoubtedly be a bigger(could actually be smaller in psychical size) and badder. Apple is just getting their toes wet with this new platform. Most people are going to understand this.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: ipad

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:09 pm

urbanbreez wrote:I think you are underestimating the sophistication levels of the average tech consumer. I can't see Apple fanboys blindly handing out $500 without at least some proper research. And the reviews right now from respected sources in the tech community such as G4tv, Engadget, etc. are hammering this product. Apple Fanboys read reviews and like money just like the rest of us.

I think this product is designed to test the waters and get feedback from consumers and critics alike for the next version which will undoubtedly be a bigger(could actually be smaller in psychical size) and badder. Apple is just getting their toes wet with this new platform. Most people are going to understand this.

I could be. We'll see. Maybe I've just known too many blind Apple fanboys.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dcrzevu25 and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact