ipad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ipad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ipad

Postby kab21 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Kindle sales quadrupled

I would be apprehensive that they are losing money on the device and plan to make their money on the apps. But then I check out their appstore and there is next to nothing there. They have Plants v. zombies and angry birds then nothing else. wth are you supposed to do with it? I checked out the ebooks and they cost the same as the paper versions. I would much rather have a hard copy over an electronic version any day. I don't get the kindle.

I haven't really understand why there isn't a bigger price difference between hardcover and eBooks but my lifestyle would benefit from eBooks. I move every few years (continents) and I usually read when I travel. Being able to pack more than one book would be nice. But I rarely buy new books anyway. My favorite places for books are used bookstores and libraries but they don't exist in Taiwan. I have been able to buy a lot of books secondhand though.

I'll get an ipad/other at some point but I'm not traveling enough to justify the cost. And I have more camera stuff to buy.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:40 pm

It's a convenience thing. I am upset the costs of digital distribution of media for the industry isn't being reflected in the cost to the consumer. But what really bugs me is how publishers are pulling their books from library digital sites.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:25 pm

The costs of paper books and CDs are similar to their digital counterparts because the medium itself doesn't cost much in either case. The bulk of the cost is in rights and fees and ads and profits. Those don't change simply because it's in bits and bytes instead of paper and plastic. Sure it's a bit lower, but not drastically.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 pm

The Amazon app store is less than a year old, so I would expect it to improve a lot with Amazon behind it.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Absolutely loving this thing so far. So much easier to browse the Cafe.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:19 am

Day 3, havent found a need to turn my laptop on yet. Love this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:30 pm

my laptop got the BSOD yesterday :,-( Weighing my options between one of these things and a new laptop.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 pm

bigken117 wrote:my laptop got the BSOD yesterday :,-( Weighing my options between one of these things and a new laptop.

I imagine the only reason I will be using my laptop at all anymore will be to use PhotoShop, or if for some reason I need to Word Process at home and not at work.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigken117 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
bigken117 wrote:my laptop got the BSOD yesterday :,-( Weighing my options between one of these things and a new laptop.

I imagine the only reason I will be using my laptop at all anymore will be to use PhotoShop, or if for some reason I need to Word Process at home and not at work.

can you edit Google docs with it? (I don't see why not, but you never know).

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 pm

If you like the touch screen, I don't see why you couldn't word process either. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do yet is print. I bought an HP with ePrint which is supposed to be compatible with airprint but I can't get it to work.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk