AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: ipad

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:00 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:can't even do multitasking... meaning you can't be listening to music while browsing.

Where did you read this? Everything I've read says otherwise.

It looks cool but it's too stripped down from a regular laptop to be of any use to me, especially since I already have an iPhone.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:04 pm

what the hell? this thread made me lol. So they're selling a bigger version of something they already sell, yet it doesnt even do what those products did?

Brilliant! ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:05 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:can't even do multitasking... meaning you can't be listening to music while browsing.

every site, lol
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/appl ... -hands-on/

There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.

its a trade off for a low power efficient processor. at least it has good battery life.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

every site, lol

There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.

its a trade off for a low power efficient processor. at least it has good battery life.

No multitasking with Pandora is different than not being able to listen to music while browsing. Music from the iPod app will still play while you're using another app.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm

I've seen the use of all of the Apple products up until now. The iphone had the app store which made it better than all other smart phones, the touch had the same thing without a phone. Ipods were the first music storage device that made portable mp3 playback easy... obviously others came out at the same time that were just as good, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I understood people dropping big bucks on all of those products. This I don't get. Why not just carry a netbook or better yet a laptop and save 800 bucks and get a internet card from a company that doesn't suck like AT&T? You have to carry this thing in some kind of case anyway, all a laptop would do is make that case a little heavier. More than any Apple product this just seems like a vanity device.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:48 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Where did you read this? Everything I've read says otherwise.

every site, lol

No multitasking with Pandora is different than not being able to listen to music while browsing. Music from the iPod app will still play while you're using another app.

from all the early reports, there seems to be NO multitasking at all. this is not OS X, this is pretty much the iPhone OS.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:every site, lol

from all the early reports, there seems to be NO multitasking at all. this is not OS X, this is pretty much the iPhone OS.

Right...and the iPhone OS allows you to listen to the iPod app while using other apps.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5457757/apple-ipad-first-hands-on

In the video on that page you can see an icon to the left of the battery meter. The icon is a triangle to indicate music playing, even as he does other things with it. It goes away when he plays a video because obviously the music wouldn't play at the same time.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

If either a few of the issues taken in this thread or false or get worked out, I could see this being awesome in a classroom setting. Not sure about replacing a laptop, though...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:what the hell? this thread made me lol. So they're selling a bigger version of something they already sell, yet it doesnt even do what those products did?

Brilliant! ;-D

That is pretty much Apple's MO. I'm pretty sure they could reinvent the pet rock and call it an iRock and sell it for $200.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk