ipad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ipad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ipad

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:16 pm

I still don't understand the reason people are getting these. They're neat to play with, but it's too bulky to carry around, and doesn't do nearly enough to be better than a laptop around the house. And I'm not an Apple hater, I love my iPhone, which pretty much does everything an iPad can do, while fitting in my pocket. Just makes no sense to me.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I wish the Fire would have had a 10" screen and I would have bought one. I was waiting on a color Kindle that I could read magazines and comics on, but 7" just isn't a big enough screen for that. So, I bought a used ipad 1 on Amazon last night,
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I still don't understand the reason people are getting these. They're neat to play with, but it's too bulky to carry around, and doesn't do nearly enough to be better than a laptop around the house. And I'm not an Apple hater, I love my iPhone, which pretty much does everything an iPad can do, while fitting in my pocket. Just makes no sense to me.

It's certainly not a laptop replacement, but I'd love to have one to stick on my coffee table for basic internet browsing and other farting around, e-mails, etc. The only thing I'd really need my laptop for would be word processing or other things that require 'extensive' typing beyond a basic e-mail (this post, for example, though browsing the forums and posting simple replies is easy enough as I do it from my iPhone from time to time). If I could get one for $300 - $400 instead of $700 I'd definitely deem it a worthwhile purchase for its usefulness and general ease. My main gripe is the price of the things for what they actually are, which again, is not a laptop replacement in the full sense. I think as they become more mainstream they'll be an awesome tool to use in my classroom, both for just myself initially, and eventually if every student could have one; which I think is where we're headed down the road.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:03 pm

this thread bump gave me a good idea how to spend my fantasy winnings. :-b
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:I still don't understand the reason people are getting these. They're neat to play with, but it's too bulky to carry around, and doesn't do nearly enough to be better than a laptop around the house. And I'm not an Apple hater, I love my iPhone, which pretty much does everything an iPad can do, while fitting in my pocket. Just makes no sense to me.

It's certainly not a laptop replacement, but I'd love to have one to stick on my coffee table for basic internet browsing and other farting around, e-mails, etc. The only thing I'd really need my laptop for would be word processing or other things that require 'extensive' typing beyond a basic e-mail (this post, for example, though browsing the forums and posting simple replies is easy enough as I do it from my iPhone from time to time). If I could get one for $300 - $400 instead of $700 I'd definitely deem it a worthwhile purchase for its usefulness and general ease. My main gripe is the price of the things for what they actually are, which again, is not a laptop replacement in the full sense. I think as they become more mainstream they'll be an awesome tool to use in my classroom, both for just myself initially, and eventually if every student could have one; which I think is where we're headed down the road.

I prefer it to a laptop. The ipad is not too bulky to carry around and I can't sit in front of the TV with a laptop in my lap, just too big and gets too hot. But I can sit there with my ipad while my wife is watching Grey's Anatomy or Desperate Housewives and I can browse the Cafe, check email, play games etc. Also I can carry it around easily in my soft briefcase and I weighs next to nothing. Games on the ipad are so much better than on the iphone. A little pricey but much more convenient than a laptop. In fact I'm going to stick with just desktops and an ipad from now on.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:27 pm

I have an iPad 2 and I use it for many things. Mainly for apps/web testing, but I find it's more convenient to use an iPad for many things I could do on my laptop/phone.

For work, it's much easier to carry and present something for a one-to-one meeting with clients and investors. When I want to relax on my leisure time, it's much easier to read and interact with an iPad compared to a phone (reading a book, watching a movie) and it's better suited for casual computing than a laptop (like relaxing in an easy chair). I definitely wouldn't use an iPad for development work and more CPU/memory-intensive tasks, when a traditional computer is better suited to do the job. I wouldn't want to lug an iPad around when I'm out and about (unless for work or at a place I know I'll have down time in), when a phone is best for mere portability's sake.

In short, different devices for different things/occasions.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby jfg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:08 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Skin Blues wrote: If I could get one for $300 - $400 instead of $700 I'd definitely deem it a worthwhile purchase for its usefulness and general ease.

I bought a used "like new" 1st gen 16gb wifi only last night on Amazon for $325. You can get a refurb 1st gen at the Apple store for $400. If you don't need facetime or a camera, a 1st gen works just fine.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby kab21 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:07 pm

It's funny how wrong the cafe was about these. I don't know about the US but in Asia I see these everywhere since mass transit is more common. And I would definitely like to have one (tablet of any brand) instead of the netbook that I have. Because I don't need a full blown laptop when I travel. All I need is internet and some pretty basic photo download capability (investigation into this required).

Not a laptop replacement but an ideal combo with a home PC for someone that travels imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 520)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:26 pm

kab21 wrote:It's funny how wrong the cafe was about these.

:-?

Explain.

Do they multi-task/have a camera/have USB yet?
Or are they still a $500 wallpaper-changing machine?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby kab21 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:50 am

AussieDodger wrote:
kab21 wrote:It's funny how wrong the cafe was about these.

:-?

Explain.

Do they multi-task/have a camera/have USB yet?
Or are they still a $500 wallpaper-changing machine?

Is every computer company making their own version because it's a success? ipoo, iRock and iFail hardly.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 520)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk