Contracts without Auction Values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Contracts without Auction Values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contracts without Auction Values

Postby foxraider » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm commish of a league going on 8 years. We had been keeping 12 players per season, after talking with other owners we're looking to do a major overhaul.What I'm looking at right now would entail 5 keepers per team, each of them on rotating 5 year contracts.

For 2010, each team would sign one guy for 1 yr, one for 2 yrs, one for 3yrs, one for 4 yrs, one for 5 yrs. After that all contracts are 5 yrs. Releasing a player before the end of his contract will cause a draft choice to be forfeitied the following year like so: 1 yr left = 5th rounder, 2 yrs left = 4th rounder, and so on.

As a players contract runs out he goes back into the draft pool.

The only hitch I've come up with is how to handle these contract guys when traded. We would then have some owners with 6 contract guys, others with 4, etc. Could you foresee this causing problems?
foxraider Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Contracts without Auction Values

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm

First off, I would hate to be forced to keep a player for five years. He can be injured, be good this year and suck for years to come. It is going to make it very hard for guys on the bottom of the standings this year to get to the top. I see all kind of problems committing to a player for five years. == About your trading problem, you could simply say that if you trade a Contract Player away, you must also receive one in the trade to keep both teams at five contract players.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby foxraider » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:36 pm

bigmck wrote:First off, I would hate to be forced to keep a player for five years. He can be injured, be good this year and suck for years to come. It is going to make it very hard for guys on the bottom of the standings this year to get to the top. I see all kind of problems committing to a player for five years. == About your trading problem, you could simply say that if you trade a Contract Player away, you must also receive one in the trade to keep both teams at five contract players.

Part of the idea is that you ought to choose wisely. Bad things happen, you can still offload the guy for a penalty. :-)
foxraider Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby neoforce » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:14 pm

This is an interesting idea. I've done contracts in auction leagues, but not in draft. This is a cool idea, and I want to think about it more, but here are some first thoughts:

Question about your rules. With a 12 team league, there are 60 total keepers when you start. Now, lets say I have a player on a 3 year contract and decide to dump him. So, I pay my 3rd round draft pick as penalty, and now I keep 4 players instead of 5. Now the league has 59 players kept.

Over time, won't you be keeping less and less players? Or don't you need a way to allow teams with less than 5 keepers to sign another contract?

In terms of trades, I think you allow trades using keepers and non keepers rather than forcing keepers to be on both sides of a trade. So, at the end of the year, a team may indeed have 6 (or more) keepers, and another team may have 4 (or even less). The contract stays with the player and if you happen to have more than 5, you MUST drop enough players (with the penalty of losing draft picks) to get back to 5.

This method would allow unlimited trades and it would be up to the team owners to make the decision about trades with the risk of being forced to drop keepers.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby foxraider » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm

neoforce wrote:This is an interesting idea. I've done contracts in auction leagues, but not in draft. This is a cool idea, and I want to think about it more, but here are some first thoughts:

Question about your rules. With a 12 team league, there are 60 total keepers when you start. We've only got 8 teams (I would prefer 10 or 12) but it's what we have right now. Now, lets say I have a player on a 3 year contract and decide to dump him. So, I pay my 3rd round draft pick as penalty, and now I keep 4 players instead of 5. Now the league has 59 players kept. Since the dumped player had three years left on his deal, you would then be required to immediately designate another player on your roster to finish out that three year contract.

Over time, won't you be keeping less and less players? Or don't you need a way to allow teams with less than 5 keepers to sign another contract?

In terms of trades, I think you allow trades using keepers and non keepers rather than forcing keepers to be on both sides of a trade. So, at the end of the year, a team may indeed have 6 (or more) keepers, and another team may have 4 (or even less). The contract stays with the player and if you happen to have more than 5, you MUST drop enough players (with the penalty of losing draft picks) to get back to 5. I'm not against the idea of allowing one owner to have 6 keepers versus another owner having 4 due to trades. I'm thinking that one option in the event of a traded player under contract would be to A. Have the owner receiving the contract player be forced to drop another player under contract and incur the penalty of a lost draft choice; B. The owner having traded a player under contract would be required to designate another player on his roster to finish out the remaining length of said contract. This avoids the possibility of having 6 contracts on one team and 4 on another. I'm open to other ideas though.

This method would allow unlimited trades and it would be up to the team owners to make the decision about trades with the risk of being forced to drop keepers.
foxraider Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby neoforce » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:46 pm

foxraider wrote:

In terms of trades, I think you allow trades using keepers and non keepers rather than forcing keepers to be on both sides of a trade. So, at the end of the year, a team may indeed have 6 (or more) keepers, and another team may have 4 (or even less). The contract stays with the player and if you happen to have more than 5, you MUST drop enough players (with the penalty of losing draft picks) to get back to 5. I'm not against the idea of allowing one owner to have 6 keepers versus another owner having 4 due to trades. I'm thinking that one option in the event of a traded player under contract would be to A. Have the owner receiving the contract player be forced to drop another player under contract and incur the penalty of a lost draft choice; B. The owner having traded a player under contract would be required to designate another player on his roster to finish out the remaining length of said contract. This avoids the possibility of having 6 contracts on one team and 4 on another. I'm open to other ideas though.
[/quote]

I think that would work. If you receive an extra keeper, you know you will have to drop one and pay the penalty. If you send a keeper you get the advantage of signing a new contract.

I assume you would want to do that forcing of keeping/dropping in the off season only. So, during the year you can carry 6 or 7 keepers knowing you pay the penalty in the off season. This may encourage trading between teams playing for this year, vs. teams building for the future. And I think that is a good thing.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby foxraider » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:07 pm

neoforce wrote:
foxraider wrote:

I think that would work. If you receive an extra keeper, you know you will have to drop one and pay the penalty. If you send a keeper you get the advantage of signing a new contract.

I assume you would want to do that forcing of keeping/dropping in the off season only. So, during the year you can carry 6 or 7 keepers knowing you pay the penalty in the off season. This may encourage trading between teams playing for this year, vs. teams building for the future. And I think that is a good thing.[/quote]
[color=#0000FFYeah I would wait until the year is over to enforce everything. I'm trying to encourage player movement while at the same time allowing for some strategy and a bit of consistency.][/color]
foxraider Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner