FSPOST Top 50 Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

FSPOST Top 50 Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: FSPOST Top 50 Prospects

Postby TheBakester66 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:09 pm

kab21 wrote:I wouldn't touch Viciedo in the top 100. But I do like Josh Bell. His scouting reports are better and he's 3.5 yrs younger than Freese. His track record is like Sizemore though. He has performed so-so for a prospect the last couple of years but reports are that he lost around 30 lbs before last season so that could explain his breakout. It's also led some to believe that he can stick at 3B for awhile (let's say 5 yrs) since he's not a great defender.

Freese was 24 in A+ in 2007 and 25/26 in AAA the last two years. To an extent he's supposed to perform well and he almost needs to stick as an MLB'er this season to avoid the dreaded AAAA player label. He's a lot like Valencia from MN in that respect. I see the probable upside from both of these guys as .775 OPS players in the majors. His avg will also almost for sure come down to the .270-.280 range since he's had BAPIP's of .385+ the last two years in AAA.

I finally fixed the rankings.

http://www.fantasysportspost.com/prospe ... p?rankid=5

So, after using scouting reports and stats to do my original rankings, i realized that the reason my previous rankings were so much better was due to the fact that i went through the painstaking process of mock drafting every single pick until i was done with the top 50. After doing this, I think you're going to like the results a lot better, and they happen to agree with many of your opinions a lot more. Though i certainly didn't change any picks due specifically what anyone said (aside from Jordan Lyles- still pissed about missing him), I defintely took it into consideration when redoing the rankings.

Thoughts?
TheBakester66
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mblax10 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 pm

I know we've been over ad nauseam how you rank guys close to the big leagues higher. Having 3 Tigers on a top 50 list and none of them are named Jacob Turner, Casey Crosby or Austin Jackson is just pure lunacy.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:59 pm

mblax10 wrote:I know we've been over ad nauseam how you rank guys close to the big leagues higher. Having 3 Tigers on a top 50 list and none of them are named Jacob Turner, Casey Crosby or Austin Jackson is just pure lunacy.

:-b ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 pm

mblax10 wrote:I know we've been over ad nauseam how you rank guys close to the big leagues higher. Having 3 Tigers on a top 50 list and none of them are named Jacob Turner, Casey Crosby or Austin Jackson is just pure lunacy.

Austin Jackson? I fail to get excited about a .275, 5-10 HR and 20 SB guy.

the guy that is missing from the tigers is Avila if MLB-readiness is a factor. the knock on him is his defense but he'll stick at C and he has a nice bat.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby TheBakester66 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:25 am

You can refer to Kab's quote for why Austin was taken off the list. At the end of the day, I just wouldn't draft him over the other 50 on the list, and more. Austin is simply overrated, and I can't see what he would be able to do for your team that justifies him being taken top 50 as a marginal center fielder for fantasy purposes. I still think he's got a good shot at making the team, I'm excited to see what he'll do this year, but in the end there were guys with much higher upside that I thought were worth waiting on.

Jacob Turner looks like he's going to be a stud, but i'd like to see what he does in the minors first before i go ranking him ahead of any of the others on the list.

Casey Crosby I like. He is at the same level/age of Matt Moore, who fell in at 49, Moore was a bit more dominant, but Crosby had a bit more control.

Any other high-upsiders that you find ridiculous not being here?

Oh and about the other Tigers on the list.... If Wilkin goes 20/30 next year, even with a .250 batting average, he is a valuable 4-stat player in almost any format.
Strieby, yeah he's old, but he also put up a 427 OBP last year while hitting 19 dongs in 86 games (which is consistent with his power at other levels). We'll see what he does in AAA, but aside from Heyward, Montero, Alvarez, Stanton and Chris Carter (of the guys on my list), it's hard to argue that anyone else is in his league when it comes to power. If you have guys that have more proven power, let me know. That are simply better prospects, let me know.

-Chris
TheBakester66
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rduffieldc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:53 pm

The fact that you're including Stieby is what is ridiculous. Because he has power, that does not make him a great prospect. He had a BABIP of around .360 last year, and a K rate of 27%. NOT great indicators of maintaining success. He's a powerful guy that most likely won't be able to maintain a very good hit rate as he moves up. And you already noted his age, so i wont include that also. I'm sorry, but incredibly overrated.
rduffieldc
T-Ball Trainer

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 pm

First off, i have tremendous respect for writing all those comments. No matter how you rank people, some one will be critical.

I have some questions on your Bryce Harper comment. If you rank a kid like Harper at 11 (and don't rank a guy like Ryan Westmoreland) you need to be ready to really defend the selection.

Where do you rank a player who’s 17 and hasn’t even faced a college pitcher to this point? When they say his tools are better than Hall of Famer’s, you have to listen. However, Bryce Harper would not be the first prodigy to fail miserably.

Who is "they?" Scouts? Baseball America? His mom and dad?

He has more bat speed now than Mark McGwire did in his prime (on PEDs), and he’s been charted many times hitting 500+ foot homers.

Who said this? That sounds pretty far fetched...

He’s either going to move into the top 2 or 3, or he’s going to plummet tremendously.

If his ranking is so volatile how can you rank him this high?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby rduffieldc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:21 am

He has more bat speed now than Mark McGwire did in his prime (on PEDs), and he’s been charted many times hitting 500+ foot homers.

Also, this is such an irrelevant piece of information since he's doing it with a frickin METAL BAT. I'm not saying he doesn't have power, I'm just saying get all the facts before you make your arguments, as this doesn't really mean anything. Give Chris Carter a metal bat and see how far he hits it...
rduffieldc
T-Ball Trainer

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Where would a mythical beast that hit 30 HR in AAA last year fit into your list?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball