Keepers: Show or Hide from League? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keepers: Show or Hide from League?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keepers: Show or Hide from League?

Postby HustlinOwl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:38 am

In my 12 team league we have had 8 owners submit keepers and the other 4 owners have not gotten around to submitting them or are waiting until deadline. There is one owner that claims showing keepers is unfair and enables other owners to strategize accordingly. I seriously do not see what the big deal is in showing who you are going to keep. Everyone can figure out whom you will keep or drop based on past performance or salary going into year 2.

Would like some thoughts from the experts.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keepers: Show or Hide from League?

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 am

we do same thing in ours, I never let anyones list affect who I kept and don't think it really matters that its public
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 304)

Postby HustlinOwl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 am

fast dogs wrote:we do same thing in ours, I never let anyones list affect who I kept and don't think it really matters that its public

thanks for the feedback. I really dont see how this could affect an owners strategy of whom to keep or dropped based on other players. Not really going to let it bother me because this owner has been a problem last year causing an owner to quit the league and this year complaining about $360 and minor league draft. At this point he is gone and we will be replacing him, kind of a bummer he was the defending champ and would like to see him try and repeat.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 am

I am the Commish in our league. Everyone sends me their Keepers. It seems that almost all the guys think that I am getting a big advantage if I see the Keepers before I turn in mine, so they make me post my Keepers and give them all a chance to send theirs in after I select mine. == I don't make a big deal about it because I don't see any advantage from knowing who the others are keeping. It just seems strange to me that they all think I am getting this huge advantage by seeing everyones keepers.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby HustlinOwl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 am

bigmck wrote:I am the Commish in our league. Everyone sends me their Keepers. It seems that almost all the guys think that I am getting a big advantage if I see the Keepers before I turn in mine, so they make me post my Keepers and give them all a chance to send theirs in after I select mine. == I don't make a big deal about it because I don't see any advantage from knowing who the others are keeping. It just seems strange to me that they all think I am getting this huge advantage by seeing everyones keepers.

I hear ya and that is why I just made it public.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dmendro » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 am

In our league, (12 team mixed, 5 keepers), we reveal 1 keeper a day in reverse order of standings from the previous season, leading up to the draft. It certainly adds strategy to the draft.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby HustlinOwl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:08 pm

dmendro wrote:In our league, (12 team mixed, 5 keepers), we reveal 1 keeper a day in reverse order of standings from the previous season, leading up to the draft. It certainly adds strategy to the draft.

Nice I might implement that, but there is no limit on our keepers other than their salaries increasing yearly.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jsbest1977 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 am

I like to keep them hidden. I run the league and tend to know pretty well before hand who I plan on keeping so knowing doens't affect what I do at all.

But finding out other keepers can affect who you keep. If you are iffy on a 2b vs 3b and see alot of people keeping 2b, then you could let that affect who you decide to keep.

also, if you are picking near the top of the draft, you should have an idea if the team(s) before you would want a guy you might not keep. Therefore, you could keep a guy that is more likely to fall back to you.

Just a few reasons I like to keep them hidden.
jsbest1977
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby converge241 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:53 pm

I keep them hidden for the same reasons as above. Only reveal to everyone once they are ALL in.

If someone is on the fence about keeping a 2B then see the others are all keeping their 2B they may then decide to keep their 2B

or say a lot of closers are kept or not kept..could affect someones decision or certain stats say one owner sees everyone is keeping a lot of SB guys or not..also could impact what you do for trading picks

I give mine to the 1st guy who turns them in so no one can say I waited to make mine while getting all of the others.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 am

This is our first year doing keepers and I decided to make them visible to everyone. We have a deadline of March 1st so everyone has the option of handing them in when they're ready or waiting until the deadline. I decided to go this route so that nobody could complain about me knowing who all the keepers were before anyone else.

Just a thought but valid points all around... ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner