Auction Draft $320 & In Season Salary $360 Dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction Draft $320 & In Season Salary $360 Dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Draft $320 & In Season Salary $360 Dilemma

Postby HustlinOwl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Keeper league and we are about to start our second season. Going into last year our salary for auction was $320 and then expanded to $360 once the season started for waiver claims, trades, and minor league call ups. There is no limit to the amount of players you can keep, but they do increase by $3 for each year retained.

Now going into season 2 some owners feel that the $360 mark should be acceptable for the auction, but I do not agree because this gives owners the chance to keep all players from the past year and an extra $40 to add talent or drop current players for a cheaper rate.

Please give me some advice, I am leaning towards the rules that were previously implemented which is $320 for the auction draft and then allowing and additional $40 for in season. Thanks Cafe
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Draft $320 & In Season Salary $360 Dilemma

Postby neoforce » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 pm

I am with you. The goal of the original rule seems to be to allow flexibility after the auction while having the cap back to $320 the next year with salary increases ensures that the player pool is refreshed as more expensive guys are dropped.

To me, the key to any long term keeper league is balance. The rules should provide balance to force some type of turnover, but to allow good managers to succeed with keepers when they get them cheaply enough.

It is hard to get that balance, and in your second year you can't know yet if what you have will work long term. But to make a change now seems premature.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HustlinOwl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 pm

thanks for the feedback very valuable input and insightful post
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Your point of view seems to make more sense. In the future to make the Sping Auction an event, you are going to need to limit the amount of keepers per team. If almost all players are kept, the Auction will not have any good players in it and will make it impossible for teams on the bottom to rise in the standings.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby HustlinOwl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 pm

hopefully in increasing salary by $5 for a third year keeper will make owners think twice about keeping some of the top tier players.

Example. Pujols initial salary of $48 would then increase to $51 year 2 and then increase again to $56 for year 3.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:57 am

HustlinOwl wrote:hopefully in increasing salary by $5 for a third year keeper will make owners think twice about keeping some of the top tier players.

Example. Pujols initial salary of $48 would then increase to $51 year 2 and then increase again to $56 for year 3.

Increasing salary each year will definately help. Most leagues have $260 to buy 23 players on Auction Day. How many players is $320 buying in your league?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby HustlinOwl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am

bigmck wrote:
HustlinOwl wrote:hopefully in increasing salary by $5 for a third year keeper will make owners think twice about keeping some of the top tier players.

Increasing salary each year will definately help. Most leagues have $260 to buy 23 players on Auction Day. How many players is $320 buying in your league?

HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby neoforce » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Can you keep them a fourth year? or is three years the max?

Again, to me, balance is the most important thing in having a keeper league last long term.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby HustlinOwl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 pm

neoforce wrote:

Again, to me, balance is the most important thing in having a keeper league last long term.

They can continue to keep, but salary will jump $10 in 4th year
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby neoforce » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:56 pm

HustlinOwl wrote:
neoforce wrote:

They can continue to keep, but salary will jump $10 in 4th year

That sounds reasonable. Escalating the salary like that can help build that balance. I was worried lets say you got Heyward this year for $5 and he turns into a monster. If it was just $3 a year, you could keep him for a long time. But with escalating salaries, you build that balance.

My league works like many do with contracts and only one salary bump (based on how many years the contract is extended) but a max of 5 years keeping them.

Back to the original point. I stick by what I said. In the second year, you don't want to change the rules. Se how it goes for a while to see if the balance is maintained.
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner