Rank these 3 Minor Leaguers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rank these 3 Minor Leaguers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank these 3 Minor Leaguers

Postby PedroFan45 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 pm

For a 5x5 dynasty league how would you rank these players?

Kyle Drabek
Starlin Castro
Ryan Westmoreland
PedroFan45
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rank these 3 Minor Leaguers

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Westmoreland
Drabek

Castro
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby GreenMtn! » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 pm

1. Westmoreland
2. Drabek
3. Castro
GreenMtn!
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Castro - is closest and plays premium position
Drabek - a bit overrated because he was traded for Halladay
Westmoreland - never played above Low A, two major injuries, only played 8 games in the field.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Drabek
Westmoreland
Castro

The first two are neck and neck in my mind. Drabek's curveball is plus plus, so I put him up a notch. I am a little concerned about Westmoreland's power potential. I was under the impression that his best tools were his contact ability with the bat, his arm, and his speed.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PedroFan45 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm

What if I add Casey Kelly and Christian Friedrich to the mix, how woudl the rankings change?
PedroFan45
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm

I would only go after Casey Kelly if I was sure I could flip him for a real prospect with a Sox fan. :-D

I like Friedrich, but I'd take Westmoreland over him and possibly Drabek too.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby kab21 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Drabek - he's got a good fastball and plus curveball and will be in the majors this year
Westmoreland - he's got elite tools/potential but hasn't been in A ball yet and will probably take 3 yrs or so to make the majors
Kelly - I'm a little tentative about his fastball but he hasn't pitched a lot (so he could gain some velocity) and he has great secondary pitches
Castro - His value comes position scarcity, developing power and a SSS (AFL) hype machine. he could turn out great but I'm wary of players like him

Friedrich - did not rate because I need to study up more on him. He's in the mix with these prospects though

Personally Drabek gets the biggest boost since he has a relatively high floor and is ready to contribute to a fantasy team this year. Some will say that he is an injury risk but he has had one injury and showed good durability last year. If you weren't in a big need for a starter right away then you could take a higher ceiling prospect instead of Drabek since all of these prospects are really close to the same value.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Drabek
Westmoreland
Castro
Kelly
Friedrich

Those two guys just get tacked on to the end for me. I guess you could make a case for Kelly over Castro, considering the two plus breaking pitches, but a RHP who maxes out at around 93 just doesn't do it for me.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmex » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:56 pm

1. Kyle Drabek - The kid has the ceiling of a top of the rotation guy. Some scouts think he will end up being a middle of the rotation type guy, but some of their peers say he will be at the top of a rotation. He hasn't done anything to suggest yet that he will not reach his ceiling, and obviously the Jays believe highly enough in him to deal Halladay for him.

2. Ryan Westmoreland - At his ceiling he could be a 30/30 player. He has all the tools to be an all-star major leaguer. Problem is he is still at a low level in the minors and still has alot to prove. Based on upside though he is second on this list.

3 Starlin Castro - His value and ranking right now is probably as high as it will get. He had a great showing in the Arizona Fall League which propelled his name up the rankings list. I don't think his ceiling is near where the other two are on the list. His defense at SS is what might put him close to the majors but i dont think his bat will be special enough to make him fantasy special.
bigmex
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball