This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Seriously, what in the name of Touchdown Jesus were these people thinking?


Notre Dame student paper apologizes for cartoon

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The independent student newspaper for the University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's College has published a staff editorial apologizing for a cartoon that made a joke about violence against gays.

The editorial Friday says The Observer newspaper created an "egregious" error in judgment when it published the cartoon Wednesday.

The newspaper also ran an apology from the cartoon's writers. They say the cartoon was meant to address intolerance of homosexuality on the Catholic university's campus but was offensive.

The cartoon depicts a conversation that says the "easiest way to turn a fruit into a vegetable" is with "a baseball bat."

Notre Dame President Rev. John Jenkins issued a statement condemning the cartoon.

Assistant managing editor Aaron Steiner says an internal review is under way.


Here is the cartoon:

Image

Listen, I don't care what ideology you follow, there's no way this is cool. You have to know that.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Wow 8-o
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:53 pm

8-o I mean 8-o really?
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:46 pm

I LOL'ed
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 398)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby Madison » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 am

J35J wrote:I LOL'ed


Me too. :-b

The world has become way, way too PC. Another few years and no one will ever say anything due to fear of saying the wrong thing. :-X
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby Tavish » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

Madison wrote:
J35J wrote:I LOL'ed


Me too. :-b

The world has become way, way too PC. Another few years and no one will ever say anything due to fear of saying the wrong thing. :-X

LMAO. After reading the comic I figured no one would argue that people were being too PC about it, then I came to my senses and realized Maddy would. :-D
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11067
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:43 am

I challenge anyone to find anything more funny than assaults on gay people, or even assaults in general. Especially asaults that result in them being in a vegetative state. LOL. It doesn't get any better than that. I almost wet myself that's so funny.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:59 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I challenge anyone to find anything more funny than assaults on gay people, or even assaults in general. Especially asaults that result in them being in a vegetative state. LOL. It doesn't get any better than that. I almost wet myself that's so funny.


what about an assault on a black gay jew by a racist homophobic anti-semite...that's gotta add some funny
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I challenge anyone to find anything more funny than assaults on gay people, or even assaults in general. Especially asaults that result in them being in a vegetative state. LOL. It doesn't get any better than that. I almost wet myself that's so funny.


what about an assault on a black gay jew by a racist homophobic anti-semite...that's gotta add some funny


Is he a midget?
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10619
(Past Year: 112)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: This IS 2010, isn't it?!?!?

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 pm

ensanimal wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I challenge anyone to find anything more funny than assaults on gay people, or even assaults in general. Especially asaults that result in them being in a vegetative state. LOL. It doesn't get any better than that. I almost wet myself that's so funny.


what about an assault on a black gay jew by a racist homophobic anti-semite...that's gotta add some funny


Is he a midget?

Now you're going to far joking about the vertically challenged. :-t



Seriously though that joke just isn't funny, it's even less funny that it's in a newspaper at all affiliated with a university. What's next? They going to start publishing comics depicting black people hanging from trees? This has very little to do with being PC. It's about not spreading hate and promoting violence...especially in a university newspaper, even an independent one.
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Miami at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact