Prospect help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Prospect help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prospect help

Postby littlebilly3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I have Lasr Anderson, Logan Morrison and Yonder Alsonso in reserve. Debating on who to keep (can keep all or none)

There is a 10 round reserve draft with 16 teams, with some of these 10 players being backups for your main team. These are some of the top prospects that wll be available, and I should be able to at least get 1

Jennings
Montero
Dominic Brown
Carlos Santana
Ackley
Hellickson
Drabek
Kelly
Westmoreland

Just to name a few. Leaning toward keeping ALonso and Morrison and letting Anderson go. Any help would be appeciated
littlebilly3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Prospect help

Postby RugbyD » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Big-power 1B/DH-types are a dime a dozen, especially because 3B/OF without much fielding skills will migrate that way, so to that extent only bother yourself with the best you can get of those. In this case that is Montero.

After that, I would go Santana & Ackley

Pitching is tough with prospects so I'd shy away from guys who are not on the cusp of MLB of at least on a fast-track.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby cardinal1975 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:21 pm

I think you are fairly spot on here. I would rank them Morrision, Alonso, and a distant 3rd to Lars. I would drop at least least Lars for any of the players listed below and would drop Alonso for any of Jennings, Montero, Ackley, D.Brown, C.Santana, or Westmoreland and potentially Kelly. With Morrison looking like a very solid hitter I think this makes Alonso expendable if you get a chance at almost any of the palyers listed below. ;-D
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby littlebilly3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Just to clarify on earlier, I can't pick up any prospects if I cut these guys. It will be a 16 team snake deaft, and those are some of the top guys available.

I should be able to get one of those. also, I have beckham and laporta, both who will go into my lineup immediately starting the season. I can bid on any prospects who will get ealry callups to take their spots in the lineup.

I may not keep Alonso, but Morrison is going to get a long look in preseason.

Thanks for the advice
littlebilly3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:56 pm

If you don't have to drop any of these guys....

why would you :-?

how did Jennings, Montero, and Santana make it through any minor league draft held last year :-X

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby littlebilly3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 am

The reserve round is only 10 rounds, and you have to drop all of your backups as well. They don't allow any pickups (except for injuries) until the all star break. People usually don't take to may long term prospects, maybe one, and most have them already. I guess Jennings was hurt, and Montero and Santana seemed to far off for most.

The reason I would drop is to get better prospects then them. I am definitely going to keep Morrison, and I think alsonso may be overkill with LaPorta playing 1B as well.
littlebilly3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:01 pm

so if you were to cut Anderson and/or Alonso you'd gain extra picks?

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby littlebilly3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 pm

I would retain more of my original ten. You have a total of 10 picks, and if you keep anyone from the reserve draft in prior years, you lose a reserve pick that year.

I have G beckham, LaPorta, Morrison, Alsonso and Anderson now, all of which I could keeep, but would only have 5 reserve picks left. However, I am definitely activating Beckham day 1, and more than likely LaPorta on day 1 as well. I could draft my backup slots in the auction, which would take those 2 places on my reserve roster. I could also bid on prospects who I may think will play and contribute in 2010, and in essence, steal them from the reserve round.

I did that 2 years agoi with Kershaw, I bid a 1 dollar on him during the auction, and was able to play him that year.

I know I can get a better player that Anderson, but I am not sure about Alonso. Heyward, Strasburg, Alvarez, Smoak, players like that are kept. I don't know when Alonso will be up, and if he is worth stashing. Thanks for the help, it is hard to find people to talk to about this league since it is so in depth.
littlebilly3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball