Valverde signs with Tigers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Valverde signs with Tigers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:16 am

DaSh 1s wrote:Yes. :-)

Apri BABIP - .530
May BABIP - .395
June BABIP- .345
July BABIP - .389

Which one doesn't belong?


The first one. Apri's not a real month.
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby smoovethug » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:Yes. :-)

Apri BABIP - .530
May BABIP - .395
June BABIP- .345
July BABIP - .389

Which one doesn't belong?


The first one. Apri's not a real month.


[x] made me laugh (and wasn't a canned joke)
[x] is knowledgeable and comprehensive
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8955
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Edit: look at the return they got for Grandy/Jackson.....you're telling me you aren't taking that?


I may be biased, but I particularly don't think Austin Jackson is good. And this has been from following him throughout the Y Organization. And I think the Yankees sold high on Austin. If the Tigers, put him in the Majors to start the season, I think he will be overly exposed with his plate discipline.

Coke simply is not good, you will learn that yourself over time. Love Mad Max, tho.


Austin Jackson
AVG =0.3059
OBP= 0.3547
on pace for 98 Runs and 25 SB

Phil Coke
5-0
1 Save
ERA = 2.596 (hasnt allowed an ER since May 30th)
28K in 34.7 innings


Jackson has made quite an impression on Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen this season. "This kid is for real," Guillen said. "You see the way he swings the bat, runs the bases and the way he goes after the ball in the outfield, he's going to be good for a long time. I don't get impressed with that many players. I'm very impressed with that kid." Jackson was part of the three-team deal that sent CF Curtis Granderson to the Yankees and brought Jackson back. "What a great job of scouting," Guillen said. "I don't wonder why they traded Curtis Granderson. If you're going to have a kid like that playing, I would have traded Curtis, too. It's amazing."
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 660)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:It's not the best deal, but better to have Valverde at 7 than someone like Gregg at anything.


http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/2010-mlb-free-a.html

Kiko Calero (35) - Type B, not offered arb
Octavio Dotel (36) - Type A, not offered arb
John Smoltz (43)
Joaquin Benoit (32)
Chad Bradford (35)
Duaner Sanchez (30)


If you wanted a short-term closer these guys would be way, way, way cheaper then Valverde, and not completely horrible. :-?

Add Perry and Schlereth to that list


Safe to say they made the right move with Valverde. If our starters could last more than six innings the bullpen wouldn't have faltered late like it has. Also, lol at Perry or Schlereth being ready to close even at this point. I stated multiple times that Detroit was better this year than people were giving them credit for and without the Magglio/Guillen injuries they'd still be in the Central race.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 pm

wrveres wrote:
Jackson has made quite an impression on Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen this season. "This kid is for real," Guillen said. "You see the way he swings the bat, runs the bases and the way he goes after the ball in the outfield, he's going to be good for a long time. I don't get impressed with that many players. I'm very impressed with that kid." Jackson was part of the three-team deal that sent CF Curtis Granderson to the Yankees and brought Jackson back. "What a great job of scouting," Guillen said. "I don't wonder why they traded Curtis Granderson. If you're going to have a kid like that playing, I would have traded Curtis, too. It's amazing."


Quoting Ozzie Guillen is a great way to prove a point.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1893
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:57 pm

hmmm, who to listen to ...

Ozzie Guillen, a person who has spent his entire life on the field ..
or some guy on the internet who routinely lies about his fandom, and who knows what else.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 660)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:08 pm

wrveres wrote:hmmm, who to listen to ...

Ozzie Guillen, a person who has spent his entire life on the field ..
or some guy on the internet who routinely lies about his fandom, and who knows what else.


Or outside of April, Austin Jackon's OPS
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1893
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby kab21 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:04 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
wrveres wrote:hmmm, who to listen to ...

Ozzie Guillen, a person who has spent his entire life on the field ..
or some guy on the internet who routinely lies about his fandom, and who knows what else.


Or outside of April, Austin Jackon's OPS


1.010 in September. :-D

edit - More seriously he's only managing a .778 OPS with a .418 BAPIP. Maybe he can maintain a high BAPIP but .350-ish is a really high BAPIP for a MLB'er. And dropping his BAPIP by 70 pts results in at least a 100 drop in OPS.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 162)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:28 am

kab21 wrote:edit - More seriously he's only managing a .778 OPS with a .418 BAPIP.


Exactly.

Ozzie Guillen lol
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1893
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valverde signs with Tigers

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:33 pm

He has a .298 BA w/ a .405 BABIP, lol. That's absolutely hilarious.

Using qualifying batters since the 2000 season, Jackson is only the 3rd player with a BABIP over .400, or about .17% of all the qualifiers.

Even Ichiro only peaked to a .399 BABIP in 2004. lol, he had to post one of the most historical flukey BABIP, just to obtain a .298 AVG. What happens if his BABIP evens his average out? Does he become 270 hitter with 4 bombs and 150 K's over the course of a season?

But Ozzie Guillien says he is for real, so I am a believer.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1893
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact