The reaction of various pundits to the Disaster in Haiti - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The reaction of various pundits to the Disaster in Haiti

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm

zepfan wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Sure, we know that the plates shift and cause earthquakes. But what causes the plates to shift? O:-)

They move because the hot air compressed underneath them builds up and it must be let out somewhere. This then moves tectonic plates forcing them to rub up against each other creating pressure. Eventually these plates will either crack or brake resulting in an earthquake.

next question.

Yeah right, next thing you're gonna tell me that it's actually the earth that orbits the sun and not the other way around. ;-7

Sorry but it's true. And I hate to break it to you but there isn't a fat man in a red suit sneaking down your chimney in December to stash gifts under the tree in your living room either. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Metroid wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Sure, we know that the plates shift and cause earthquakes. But what causes the plates to shift? O:-)

They move because the hot air compressed underneath them builds up and it must be let out somewhere. This then moves tectonic plates forcing them to rub up against each other creating pressure. Eventually these plates will either crack or brake resulting in an earthquake.

next question.

But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The reaction of various pundits to the Disaster in Haiti

Postby jfg » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 pm

The Bible only says that God would not destroy the world by flood again. But, what I was saying is that there are not many cases in the Bible where God struck down on a multitude of people. Yet whenever a tragedy occurs, an evangelist, quite often Robertson or Dobson, blames it on the sin of the people. It's annoying that these guys continue to spout off because Christians, more specifically high profile Christians turn the other way when these guys are jerks because what they say might be Biblically sound. Doesn't change the fact that they are jerks that should have been shut up a long time ago. It's hard to spread a message when these guys are around to take you down 4 steps when you make 1. I understand that a lot of conservative Christians are upset by a more liberal movement in the church. But, there has to be a middle ground where we don't allow these nutjobs to drag the religion through the mud but still stay somewhat true to the Bible. I mean, I can see where people are upset about something like homosexuality in the church even though I disagree, but what is the use of the comments Pat Robertson made and why do Christians continue to let him make them? If I watched whatever channel the 700 Club was on in the first place I'd be sending letters to say I will no longer watch their channel, and I would hope that some people in higher places would call for more people to do the same. But no, we continue to let the jerk keep doing business as usual.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)

Scientists aren't sure, but current theories point towards Mookie.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

next question.

But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)

Mantle convection my friend. :-D

Mantle convection is the slow creeping motion of Earth's rocky mantle caused by convection currents carrying heat from the interior of the earth to the surface. Material near the surface of the Earth, particularly oceanic lithosphere, cools down by conduction of heat into the oceans and atmosphere, then thermally contracts to become dense, and then sinks under its own weight at convergent plate boundaries. This subducted material sinks to some depth in the Earth's interior where it is prohibited, by inherent density stratification, from sinking further. This stoppage creates a thermal boundary layer where sunken material soaks up heat via thermal conduction from below, and may become buoyant again to form upwelling mantle plumes.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 pm

knapplc wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)

Scientists aren't sure, but current theories point towards Mookie.

Oh shut up!

I actually tried to give you positive feedback on that but I got this error message

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Out of range value adjusted for column 'warnings' at row 1 [1264]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: webhamster@fantasybaseballcafe.com