The reaction of various pundits to the Disaster in Haiti - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The reaction of various pundits to the Disaster in Haiti

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm

zepfan wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Sure, we know that the plates shift and cause earthquakes. But what causes the plates to shift? O:-)


They move because the hot air compressed underneath them builds up and it must be let out somewhere. This then moves tectonic plates forcing them to rub up against each other creating pressure. Eventually these plates will either crack or brake resulting in an earthquake.

next question.


Yeah right, next thing you're gonna tell me that it's actually the earth that orbits the sun and not the other way around. ;-7


Sorry but it's true. And I hate to break it to you but there isn't a fat man in a red suit sneaking down your chimney in December to stash gifts under the tree in your living room either. :-B
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Metroid wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Sure, we know that the plates shift and cause earthquakes. But what causes the plates to shift? O:-)


They move because the hot air compressed underneath them builds up and it must be let out somewhere. This then moves tectonic plates forcing them to rub up against each other creating pressure. Eventually these plates will either crack or brake resulting in an earthquake.

next question.


But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: The reaction of various pundits to the Disaster in Haiti

Postby jfg » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 pm

The Bible only says that God would not destroy the world by flood again. But, what I was saying is that there are not many cases in the Bible where God struck down on a multitude of people. Yet whenever a tragedy occurs, an evangelist, quite often Robertson or Dobson, blames it on the sin of the people. It's annoying that these guys continue to spout off because Christians, more specifically high profile Christians turn the other way when these guys are jerks because what they say might be Biblically sound. Doesn't change the fact that they are jerks that should have been shut up a long time ago. It's hard to spread a message when these guys are around to take you down 4 steps when you make 1. I understand that a lot of conservative Christians are upset by a more liberal movement in the church. But, there has to be a middle ground where we don't allow these nutjobs to drag the religion through the mud but still stay somewhat true to the Bible. I mean, I can see where people are upset about something like homosexuality in the church even though I disagree, but what is the use of the comments Pat Robertson made and why do Christians continue to let him make them? If I watched whatever channel the 700 Club was on in the first place I'd be sending letters to say I will no longer watch their channel, and I would hope that some people in higher places would call for more people to do the same. But no, we continue to let the jerk keep doing business as usual.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)

Scientists aren't sure, but current theories point towards Mookie.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Sure, we know that the plates shift and cause earthquakes. But what causes the plates to shift? O:-)


They move because the hot air compressed underneath them builds up and it must be let out somewhere. This then moves tectonic plates forcing them to rub up against each other creating pressure. Eventually these plates will either crack or brake resulting in an earthquake.

next question.


But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)

Mantle convection my friend. :-D

Mantle convection is the slow creeping motion of Earth's rocky mantle caused by convection currents carrying heat from the interior of the earth to the surface. Material near the surface of the Earth, particularly oceanic lithosphere, cools down by conduction of heat into the oceans and atmosphere, then thermally contracts to become dense, and then sinks under its own weight at convergent plate boundaries. This subducted material sinks to some depth in the Earth's interior where it is prohibited, by inherent density stratification, from sinking further. This stoppage creates a thermal boundary layer where sunken material soaks up heat via thermal conduction from below, and may become buoyant again to form upwelling mantle plumes.
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 pm

knapplc wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:But where does the hot compressed air come from? :-? }:-) ;-)

Scientists aren't sure, but current theories point towards Mookie.



Oh shut up!


I actually tried to give you positive feedback on that but I got this error message

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Out of range value adjusted for column 'warnings' at row 1 [1264]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: webhamster@fantasybaseballcafe.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


true story


God works in mysterious ways.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 275)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Metroid wrote:Mantle convection my friend. :-D

Mantle convection is the slow creeping motion of Earth's rocky mantle caused by convection currents carrying heat from the interior of the earth to the surface. Material near the surface of the Earth, particularly oceanic lithosphere, cools down by conduction of heat into the oceans and atmosphere, then thermally contracts to become dense, and then sinks under its own weight at convergent plate boundaries. This subducted material sinks to some depth in the Earth's interior where it is prohibited, by inherent density stratification, from sinking further. This stoppage creates a thermal boundary layer where sunken material soaks up heat via thermal conduction from below, and may become buoyant again to form upwelling mantle plumes.


I see someone swapped your calculus book for a geology book without your knowing. :-b
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I actually tried to give you positive feedback on that but I got this error message

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Out of range value adjusted for column 'warnings' at row 1 [1264]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: webhamster@fantasybaseballcafe.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


true story


God works in mysterious ways.

God has a sense of humor.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:25 pm

knapplc wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I actually tried to give you positive feedback on that but I got this error message

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Out of range value adjusted for column 'warnings' at row 1 [1264]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: webhamster@fantasybaseballcafe.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


true story


God works in mysterious ways.

God has a sense of humor.

I wish more people here did.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 347)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Disaster in Haiti

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:26 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:Mantle convection my friend. :-D

Mantle convection is the slow creeping motion of Earth's rocky mantle caused by convection currents carrying heat from the interior of the earth to the surface. Material near the surface of the Earth, particularly oceanic lithosphere, cools down by conduction of heat into the oceans and atmosphere, then thermally contracts to become dense, and then sinks under its own weight at convergent plate boundaries. This subducted material sinks to some depth in the Earth's interior where it is prohibited, by inherent density stratification, from sinking further. This stoppage creates a thermal boundary layer where sunken material soaks up heat via thermal conduction from below, and may become buoyant again to form upwelling mantle plumes.


I see someone swapped your calculus book for a geology book without your knowing. :-b

lol! I know right? :-b

Nah not really, I mean I know a little about this stuff but Google and Wiki are your friend. :-B
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact