Computer issues.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer issues..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Computer issues..

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 pm

I attempted to take the bottom off of my laptop to check the fan and whatnot, but couldn't figure out how to get it off enough to snoop around of clean it. I'm guessing it isn't a good idea to blow into it, so Im stuck there, for now.
I powered off and unplugged it for 2 1/2 hours or so, and the temp for the HD0 was at 26 at startup. After 7 minutes or so (now) it is at 36.
I will probably check out one of those other monitoring sites soon to see if there is a difference. Thanks so far for your guys' help. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:14 pm

OK, I just downloaded Everest (very interesting app, lotta stuff), and have another temp reading.

SpeedFan

HD0 47C
Temp1 56C
Core 61C

Everest

CPU 58C

what ya got?

**Also, what other features of Everest can be useful to me? That is, if you are familiar with it.**
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:28 am

58-61 C is pretty good, but if it's just idle (not running any programs), then you might still have a problem with overheating. Try running the Flash games and see the CPU temperature when running close to max.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 am

Sounds like you have problems with your fan
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:28 am

I hear the Cubs are interested.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 am

DaShiz23 wrote:OK, I just downloaded Everest (very interesting app, lotta stuff), and have another temp reading.

SpeedFan

HD0 47C
Temp1 56C
Core 61C

Everest

CPU 58C

what ya got?

**Also, what other features of Everest can be useful to me? That is, if you are familiar with it.**

Just like AD said, keep these programs up while putting a greater load on the system. Have it on for a little while and start running some demanding programs. Although 58C is safe, it's still on the high end for idle CPU temps. Everest is a great program, but for your purposes, you probably want to use it strictly as a diagnostic tool. It has the ability to tweak the performance of your hardware. However increasing performance also means increased heat. Overclocking laptops is tricky business considering how difficult cooling can be, so until your problem is resolved I'd say to not mess with settings too much.

About removing the cover, remind me again what the exact model number of your eMachines. I looked through the thread quickly and couldn't find it. With the model, it'd be easier to figure out the steps to removing the case.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 am

It's an Emachines M5414.
I'll keep an eye on the two gauges throughout the day. It seems that the temp rises quickly, but it hasn't been near the initial readings.
As far as the cover goes, I took all of the screws out, and even detached the screen from the keyboard area, but it seems there is either plastic clips or unseen screws left to take the whole 'bottom' off. I'm just worried about prying too hard.
Thanks again! ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 am

DaShiz23 wrote:It's an Emachines M5414.
I'll keep an eye on the two gauges throughout the day. It seems that the temp rises quickly, but it hasn't been near the initial readings.
As far as the cover goes, I took all of the screws out, and even detached the screen from the keyboard area, but it seems there is either plastic clips or unseen screws left to take the whole 'bottom' off. I'm just worried about prying too hard.
Thanks again! ;-D

Right above the keyboard, there is a plastic bar that runs its length. Right under it are a few screws securing the keyboard. The disassembly steps for your laptop is likely very similar to the one here. You obviously don't have to follow all of the steps, since you aren't going to be doing anything too invasive. Just make sure that you concentrate on the CPU Fan and Heatsink. Your laptop likely only has one fan inside, and it's probably attached to some large aluminum piece (the heatsink) - this is what you need to blow out including thoroughly - but go ahead and blow out the entire thing. With it never being cleaned out and with heavy use over 3+ years, it's probably got dust, hair, cheetos, and whatnot inside.

As a side note, with computers, it is very easy to damage components with even small static charges, so make sure you stay grounded while working on one. This can be done by simply touching something metal every so often to discharge the static electricity.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 pm

First off, you are the man! The amount of help you have given me is incredible. Thank you. ;-D

I was able to get to the fan, and cleaned it and everything around it. It wasn't too dirty, but there was a good amount of dust in there. I guess time will tell if that was part of the problem. With the temp gauges, I should be able to monitor it much better.

Next is to put it through the ringer, and see how she holds up. Any other suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated, as it looks like you know your stuff about computers. I think the next thing on my list is to upgrade the RAM.

Well, thanks again!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:First off, you are the man! The amount of help you have given me is incredible. Thank you. ;-D

I was able to get to the fan, and cleaned it and everything around it. It wasn't too dirty, but there was a good amount of dust in there. I guess time will tell if that was part of the problem. With the temp gauges, I should be able to monitor it much better.

Next is to put it through the ringer, and see how she holds up. Any other suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated, as it looks like you know your stuff about computers. I think the next thing on my list is to upgrade the RAM.

Well, thanks again!

First off, I get that all the time. B-) ;-7

I also should have included that it would be smart to make sure the fan is actually running. I'm not sure exactly how the hardware is configured in your laptop, but you may be able to see it with just the keyboard removed. Also, Everest should show the RPMs of the fan and confirm that it is indeed working (but it is a good idea to physically see that it is rotating rather than just relying on the software).

Other than that, I don't really have any other suggestions. Well, actually I do, but we should save those in case you still have the problem. They likely entail you doing something more invasive like reseating the CPU, or they'll indicate that you have a more severe problem such as a hardware failure. Generally, just cleaning out the inside solves 95% of cases like this, so hopefully that's all it is.

If you need anything else, just keep on posting or PM me. ;-D
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk