Computer issues.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer issues..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Computer issues..

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 am

AussieDodger wrote:Looks like you're having problems with your fan

It does. I downloaded the Registry Mechanic, and am trying to find the fan monitor deal. In the mean time, I rigged up a 'stand' to elevate the bottom of the laptop, get some circulation if you will.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 am

Again, the problem could simply be dust/dirt on the fan or heatsink. Simply cleaning them could save you a lot of time and frustration. ;-D
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 am

Fade2White12 wrote:Again, the problem could simply be dust/dirt on the fan or heatsink. Simply cleaning them could save you a lot of time and frustration. ;-D

I appreciate the help. This is why I usually post things like this here, because there is always someone who knows something.
If you don't mind, what am I looking for on the SpeedFan app. It gives me the temp readings, but everything else looks like something I could break. Thanks
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:37 am

DaShiz23 wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:Again, the problem could simply be dust/dirt on the fan or heatsink. Simply cleaning them could save you a lot of time and frustration. ;-D

I appreciate the help. This is why I usually post things like this here, because there is always someone who knows something.
If you don't mind, what am I looking for on the SpeedFan app. It gives me the temp readings, but everything else looks like something I could break. Thanks

That's really all you want to look at. SpeedFan allows you to control a lot of hardware settings for overclocking purposes, but really we just want to look at this as a diagnostic tool - so yeah, don't change any settings.

So what are the temperature readings they give?

Also, what is the make/model of your CPU (processor)?
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 am

The readings are:
HD0 56C
Temp1 28C
Core 89C

Emachine
Mobile AMD Sempron
Processor 2800+
1.60 GHz, 448 MB of Ram
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

We need to determine if those readings are accurate, because if the "core" reading is accurate, you're going to be frying your CPU in no time. That is well beyond the maximum temp for your processor.

Restart the pc, and while it's booting back up, tap the Delete key until you are in the BIOS. See if you can find "Hardware Monitor" and report back here the temp readings. Make sure when you're done to "Discard changes and Exit."
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

I went to the BIOS thing at start-up, but did not see anything with a temp of fan by it. I may try again here, but is there anywhere else?
Crazy computers!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm

You aren't looking to find the temp of a fan, but the temps of the hardware the fan(s) are cooling. We need to find which components are overheating to determine where to look for the problem, and likely what is causing the problem.

When you get to the BIOS, look for something like Health Status, Hardware Monitor, System Health, Sensor, or something similar. It should say things like MB (motherboard) Temperature, CPU Temperature, maybe HD Temp, etc. If your CPU Temp is running high, if you don't get it figured out very soon, it could cause irreparable damage to the CPU, MB, and more. The other choice if you don't want to go through the BIOS, I recommend use a different program to compare to SpeedFan's readings. Everest and Core Temp are two other good programs.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Is there anything in the Control Panel that I can go to, to check the status?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:29 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:The readings are:
HD0 56C
Temp1 28C
Core 89C

Emachine
Mobile AMD Sempron
Processor 2800+
1.60 GHz, 448 MB of Ram

I take it that core is your CPU's temperature. In any case, older processors can't handle heat above 70 C and automatically shut down. I know for a fact that with the Athlon/Intel P4 generation, there's a shutdown mechanism where it shuts down if your CPU's temperature increases to over 75 C. On an earlier machine like yours, it just keeps running, I suppose and that thing is going to keep frying along.

Your hard drive temperature at 56 C is really quite high too. I'm probably thinking along the lines of Fade that either you have too much dust with your fans or the CPU heatsink has been dislodged and needs to be glued back on. In any case, you should repair this issue soon because 89 C is a big-time red flag.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk