Computer issues.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer issues..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Computer issues..

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Was wondering if someone at the Cafe could help me out. I have a laptop that has started to have a mind of it's own. It started about a week or so ago. The thing shuts down for no apparent reason. It doesn't log off, it just shut down. All of a sudden, lights off and nothing. When I turn the power back on, it restarts like normal, no issues whatsoever.
I have two or three theories, but dont know enough to pinpoint it.
*Me and the wife play a lot of Facebook games, and it kinda seems to do it when they are running. These games use Adobe, which I have updated very recently. Maybe this??
*The laptop does run hot from time to time, as I usually have it on all day. I would expect it to occur shortly after a restart, and it usually doesn't.
*I believe that my RAM memory is a little low, and the computer has acted strange since adding Norton, which I believe is a rather big program.

The laptop is, yes, an Emachine, and is about 3 years old. If someone has anything that could help, lemme kno. Thanks
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Computer issues..

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:anyone know how to get beer off of a laptop? :-D

:-?

My wife leaves her computer on 24 hours a day, and has periodic problems with it, whereas I religiously turned mine off when I'm not using it, and have none of the problems she has. :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 pm

I saw that one coming! OK OK, I admit, I lie!! I also use steroids, but only to heal quicker. Is that better? :-b

I was thinking if this was the problem. I wonder though, if a laptop got too hot, would it just kill itself, or give a warning?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thedude » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:19 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:*The laptop does run hot from time to time, as I usually have it on all day. I would expect it to occur shortly after a restart, and it usually doesn't.

You should have it on an external fan.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 pm

thedude wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:*The laptop does run hot from time to time, as I usually have it on all day. I would expect it to occur shortly after a restart, and it usually doesn't.

You should have it on an external fan.

I guess my issue with this (and Im not trying to say anyone is wrong, just trying to figure it out) is that it has been running this way for awhile. I mean, I would sit outside on a 90 degree sunny day and do several mocks while being on this site and playing music with no shutoffs.
I hate this stupid thing. It shut off 20 minutes ago, and I turned it right back on, and it has been fine since. I have had my facebook page on a different tab, unless I'm messing with it, and ok for now. I know if I get up and leave the facebook page as the 'open' one, it would shut off.
At least it only takes 2 minutes to turn back on!
Anything I'm missing?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 pm

You have to turn it off from time to time, leaving it on all day is not good. At least put it to sleep/hibernate. I doubt this is the reason it's shutting off on you but it probably isn't helping things. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 am

fan could be going bad
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:fan could be going bad

That would be my prime suspect.

I leave my computer on most of the time, but it goes to sleep when it's idle. It's a bad idea to let it stay awake/active all the time, if for no other reason than you waste electricity.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:35 am

DaShiz23 wrote:I guess my issue with this (and Im not trying to say anyone is wrong, just trying to figure it out) is that it has been running this way for awhile. I mean, I would sit outside on a 90 degree sunny day and do several mocks while being on this site and playing music with no shutoffs.
I hate this stupid thing. It shut off 20 minutes ago, and I turned it right back on, and it has been fine since. I have had my facebook page on a different tab, unless I'm messing with it, and ok for now. I know if I get up and leave the facebook page as the 'open' one, it would shut off.
At least it only takes 2 minutes to turn back on!
Anything I'm missing?

Whenever a laptop just shuts off, it's almost always because it is overheating. If this is happening just now after so many years, it's likely because the CPU fan has failed, or it and/or the heatsink are clogged with dust. If this laptop is fairly old and out of warranty, you should remove the casing and clean the fan/heatsink with a can of compressed air. The reason why it might seem like certain pages, like games, are causing it to shut down is because those applications are likely causing the CPU and other hardware to work harder, thus heat up faster. If your motherboard has a temp sensor on it, you can check the temp through the BIOS or through a free program like this.

As a side note, do not renew Norton once your subscription is up, or if you can cancel it and get a prorated refund - do so. Norton and McAfee are not only unnecessarily gargantuan, but they are bad at what they do.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:45 am

Looks like you're having problems with your fan
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)