What site should I use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What site should I use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What site should I use?

Postby localj » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:54 pm

hello,
I have been the commish of our fantasy baseball league for the past 5 years. We just started using CBSsports.com last year and I really like it. For the 2010 season I want to have a league where we have 2 drafts. We are going to draft in March and we'll have a second draft in July (during the All-Star break). I want each team to be able to keep 2 players from the first half. This first draft will be an in person draft and I would like to have the second draft be an online draft. There will be a payout for each half of the season. The second half of the season will be a clean slate, I need all the stats to go back to zero. Does anyone know a site that can do this? Or will I just have to purchase two separate leagues? Thanks!

Chris
localj
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What site should I use?

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:15 pm

I've never heard of a stat service that had a split season or had draft rooms available in July. You might have a problem finding that.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Actually, I was pretty sure there were some "second chance" leagues that ran in the second half. Maybe even CBS, but I don't quite recall. I think you'd need to set it up as two separate leagues, however, as I don't think there is such as thing as a "first-half-only" league.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby neoforce » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:31 am

I don't think there is a site to let you do that, but here is one way you could do it:

1) Whatever site you choose, set up two leagues in that site.
2) Spring in person draft, load the results into league 1 of that site. Leave league 2 rosters empty. (need to makes sure that the site you pick won't delete your league for being inactive.)
3) At All Star break, record the standings/stats from league 1, and either dump all rosters so every team is empty, or just ignore any stats for the second half.
4) Do offline draft at All star break.. Couchmanagers.com may still be up for an online draft, since they do football/baseball/basketball. You would have to ask if they still have baseball running in July. Or do an email offline draft, or just get a open chat room somewhere
5) Load up league 2 with the rosters from that online draft

I think that might work.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 pm

The above would require you to purchase two league sites. I have an idea that you would only need to purchase one league site. == I have used CBS pay site, so here is how you can do it there. When the All-Star breaks comes and you want to start your second season, here is what you can do. Record all of the winning stats then go back and check the option, "Illegal Rosters Score No Stats". Make all teams rosters Illegal for the first half. It might take a little work, but it could be done. Ask CBS to rerun your stats for the first half. (they do this with no problem) This will make all players have zero stats. Then you can start the second half. I would check with CBS first just to make sure everything is OK to do this.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:05 pm

I was going to suggest the illegal rosters angle as well. It might be as simple as going back to week 1 & bench 1 every week star from everyones roster. It might be going back every week and doing that for every team. If it works like I think, you'd make the changes 1 day & the next after the stats run at 2 AM everyone would be back at zero
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby neoforce » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 pm

I was thinking they might use a free site and then it wouldn't be a problem with two league sites.

If you use cbs, I agree, you want one league site, so you don't have to spend an extra $150. I don't know about the invalid roster idea, but I wonder if at the halfway point you could use the cbs abilty to fix service time issues. After recording the first half stats, force every player to be off all rosters (changes stats to zero) then force them to be on rosters starting on All star week.

But I think that would be a pain to do. The tool to fix service time is great, but cumbersome. I think each individual MLB roster person would have to be touched.

Again, not familiar with illegal rosters, but sounds like that would make it easier to force it to zero for the first half.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby lsommerer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 pm

A few years ago we split our season into two halves, and SportsLine was very nice about resetting our scores for the second half. I imagine they would be willing to reset your teams as well. That seems like doing about the same kind of thing.

But I don't know if you could draft again. It would certainly be worth asking.
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mrpackersfan1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:06 am

i have been having the same problem. please let me know if any one finds a site!
Mrpackersfan1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 am

You wouldn't have to redraft on the site. Just do the offline draft and add the players when it is complete.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner