Anyone Here Remember The 70's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone Here Remember The 70's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone Here Remember The 70's?

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 am

No, but I do remember That 70s Show. Not a bad show in its day....Red Foreman always cracked me up.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:06 am

urbanbreez wrote:
That's one of the many reasons I've always taken the Global Warming panic with a hefty grain of salt.

Now, I'm no tired cliche expert but the word "hefty" takes that sentiment in the exact opposite direction of its understood meaning. To take with a grain of salt, a small granule of sodium homogeneous to other granules of salt, largely unremarkable. Kind of defeats the purpose to single one out as being hefty when the whole point of using the cliche is to downplay the importance of certain information.

However, climate change is certainly happening. We are watching the polar ice caps melt before our eyes. Pretending nothing is happening is just as foolish as blindly following the scientists who tell us we're doomed. It behooves us to study what's happening to figure out why, so that if there is a problem we can do whatever we can to fix it before it becomes a threat.

It's certainly happening? And we know that by not blindly following these quack scientist with all their stupid math and data and logical inferences.

At least we have other reliable sources from which to gleam our information from. Like Twitter and PolarBearhumper.com. Media seek truth, this is fact. They've been truth-seeking like Salem which hunters since 1623. They're not concerned with ratings or fostering an environment of subtle panic to increase viewership. Nope, most news stories are designed to make you feel good, comfortable; because thats what sells.

That whole thing in Haiti, the earthquake where the media ran the astonishing figure of 500,000 dead, they're sorry about that. Point is, this Global Warming crisis is so damn scary. If the media are going to spend time hurting their ratings by scaring the bejesus out of people, they must be saying something really important, historically speaking, of course.

One only needs to look one planet closer to the sun to see what runaway greenhouse effects can do to an environment. Whether Venus could ever support Earth-like life in the past is irrelevant - due to runaway greenhouse effects it can't now. It's unlikely that'll happen to Earth, but why risk it?

Did you just use Venus as an argument in support of a global warming theory here on earth? There are certain factors you might have failed to consider in your example. Namely. and i would really suggest you consider this as I'm almost positive that it could have something to do with any sort of global warming phenomena on Venus -- Venus is the second-closest planet to the Sun. Just thought I throw that out there.

Is there some kind of point to this incoherent mess?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:55 am

To confuse you. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:16 pm

urbanbreez wrote:

To confuse you. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I think you've succeeded in confusing yourself. Feel free to google any of the info I talked about. We're never too old to learn. ;-)
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Google this. There has been just a 1% change in global temperature over the last 100 years. Thats all I need to know. There was a warming spike following el nino, a naturally occurring event, media and politicians ran with that for reasons I find to be obvious. The sky isn't falling. Al Gore is a village idiot. End of story.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:04 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Google this. There has been just a 1% change in global temperature over the last 100 years. Thats all I need to know. There was a warming spike following el nino, a naturally occurring event, media and politicians ran with that for reasons I find to be obvious. The sky isn't falling. Al Gore is a village idiot. End of story.

If you read what I wrote, that's what I said.

Reading comprehension. ;-)
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 pm

However, climate change is certainly happening. We are watching the polar ice caps melt before our eyes.

My apologies. This is the part that threw me off, I don't agree that anything is happening outside the scope of what nature can handle. It seems that you are somewhere in the middle of this issue and I am further to the right. Which is fine, carry on.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:38 pm

No worries. ;-D
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:38 pm

This discussion would be my Kobayashi Maru so I'll stay out of it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:This discussion would be my Kobayashi Maru so I'll stay out of it.

You would cheat to win the discussion? I always saw you as more of a Chekov than a Kirk. I.....uhhh.....what's Koayashi Maru?
:-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk