Anyone Here Remember The 70's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone Here Remember The 70's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone Here Remember The 70's?

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Me either, but what I do know about that funky, jive-talking decade was the fear of "global cooling." Well check out this blast from the past - figuratively, of course, since the article is actually from yesterday. Won't somebody think of the polar bears! Ya, right. Eat it, Gore.

David Rose wrote:The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.

Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
summer by 2013.
The scientists’ predictions also undermine the standard climate computer models, which assert that the warming of the Earth since 1900 has been driven solely by man-made greenhouse gas emissions and will continue as long as carbon dioxide levels rise.

They say that their research shows that much of the warming was caused by oceanic cycles when they were in a ‘warm mode’ as opposed to the present ‘cold mode’.

This challenge to the widespread view that the planet is on the brink of an irreversible catastrophe is all the greater because the scientists could never be described as global warming ‘deniers’ or skeptics.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z0cLHPJxhL
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Here Remember The 70's?

Postby Tavish » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:48 pm

If you think ignoring ManBearPig will make it go away you are wrong... dead wrong.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm so serial.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:06 pm

I was born in 1970, but I watched the news with my dad as a young kid. I remember watching the helicopters leave Saigon in 1975, and I remember watching a show talking about the "next Ice Age" we were heading into based on the bitterly cold winters much of the US had in the 70s. That's one of the many reasons I've always taken the Global Warming panic with a hefty grain of salt.

However, climate change is certainly happening. We are watching the polar ice caps melt before our eyes. Pretending nothing is happening is just as foolish as blindly following the scientists who tell us we're doomed. It behooves us to study what's happening to figure out why, so that if there is a problem we can do whatever we can to fix it before it becomes a threat.

One only needs to look one planet closer to the sun to see what runaway greenhouse effects can do to an environment. Whether Venus could ever support Earth-like life in the past is irrelevant - due to runaway greenhouse effects it can't now. It's unlikely that'll happen to Earth, but why risk it?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:11 pm

knapplc wrote:However, climate change is certainly happening. We are watching the polar ice caps melt before our eyes. Pretending nothing is happening is just as foolish as blindly following the scientists who tell us we're doomed.

I don't completely disagree with your main point. However:

The article wrote:According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:12 pm

All I'm saying is, let's not panic. Pay attention, don't be stupid, if you can stop hurting the environment do so, and all that jazz.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 pm

I love everything about the '70s.
The music, movies, fashion, snarky attitudes.

Puts every other decade to shame.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Jivedude » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Climategate Redux: NASA and NOAA have been falsifying climate reports for years.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... redux.html
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 am

That's one of the many reasons I've always taken the Global Warming panic with a hefty grain of salt.

Now, I'm no tired cliche expert but the word "hefty" takes that sentiment in the exact opposite direction of its understood meaning. To take with a grain of salt, a small granule of sodium homogeneous to other granules of salt, largely unremarkable. Kind of defeats the purpose to single one out as being hefty when the whole point of using the cliche is to downplay the importance of certain information.

However, climate change is certainly happening. We are watching the polar ice caps melt before our eyes. Pretending nothing is happening is just as foolish as blindly following the scientists who tell us we're doomed. It behooves us to study what's happening to figure out why, so that if there is a problem we can do whatever we can to fix it before it becomes a threat.

It's certainly happening? And we know that by not blindly following these quack scientist with all their stupid math and data and logical inferences.

At least we have other reliable sources from which to gleam our information from. Like Twitter and PolarBearhumper.com. Media seek truth, this is fact. They've been truth-seeking like Salem which hunters since 1623. They're not concerned with ratings or fostering an environment of subtle panic to increase viewership. Nope, most news stories are designed to make you feel good, comfortable; because thats what sells.

That whole thing in Haiti, the earthquake where the media ran the astonishing figure of 500,000 dead, they're sorry about that. Point is, this Global Warming crisis is so damn scary. If the media are going to spend time hurting their ratings by scaring the bejesus out of people, they must be saying something really important, historically speaking, of course.

One only needs to look one planet closer to the sun to see what runaway greenhouse effects can do to an environment. Whether Venus could ever support Earth-like life in the past is irrelevant - due to runaway greenhouse effects it can't now. It's unlikely that'll happen to Earth, but why risk it?

Did you just use Venus as an argument in support of a global warming theory here on earth? There are certain factors you might have failed to consider in your example. Namely. and i would really suggest you consider this as I'm almost positive that it could have something to do with any sort of global warming phenomena on Venus -- Venus is the second-closest planet to the Sun. Just thought I throw that out there.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk