Can My P's Carry This Team???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Can My P's Carry This Team????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can My P's Carry This Team????

Postby stomperrob » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:40 pm

I have 4 H2H teams on Yahoo - on one I decided to go heavy on SP's to see if they could carry my team (in hindsight I should have also placed more importance on RP's). Here's what I ended up with:

A. Pierzynski, C
K. Millar, 1B, OF
L. Castillo, 2B
M. Teixeira, 3B, 1B
J. Reyes, SS
R. Sanders, OF
M. Byrd, OF
M. Bradley, OF
K. Lofton, OF
M. Mora, OF
B. Crosby, SS

R. Halladay, SP
R. Johnson, SP
M. Mussina, SP
K. Brown, SP
H. Nomo, SP
J. Lieber, SP
U. Urbina, RP
B. Koch, RP
D. Graves, RP
B. Wickman, RP

I realize that Wickman is gone until after the All-Star break at the earliest but there are no other RP's avail right now so I can't decide whether to dump him for another SP or batter now or wait until the season starts and place him on IR and grab another player then without losing him.
Because I went heavy on SP's in the early rounds, I tried to go with young sters with lots of potential for batters and hope for breakout years from some or all of them. What do ya think?????
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

pick up riske

Postby bpmsu7 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:55 pm

pick up riske, he'll be the closer at least at first
bpmsu7

Friendliness: %

Postby stomperrob » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:06 pm

Tried that, Riske is gone already.
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Murderer's Row » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:13 pm

Ouch :-o , I don't think that team will go far at all, with only SP's. Your hitting is just atrocious :-P . There is someone in one of my fantasy leagues that uses the same strategy and I think he'll fail pretty bad, because with so many SP alternating in and out, he'll most likely lose the Losses, Hits allowed, Walks allowed, and era categories, though I'm not too sure how scoring is done in your league.
Murderer's Row
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:48 pm

I don't think that'll work out so well either, since your pitching would have to be reeeally good to offset that ugly hitting, and I don't think it is quite that good yet.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby AntLive » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:11 pm

I have to agree with the afore mentioned. Everything I have read about winning fantasy is to have a solid hitting. If you went into it as an experiment I hope you drafted another team with heavy hitting. I would be interested to know how the teams worked out but if I had to take a guess I would say the strong pitching team will not do as well. I also wouldn't drop wickman. I would put him on IR and pick up some hitting.
AntLive
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stomperrob » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:24 pm

Ya, my other 3 teams all have some heavy hitters and this team is an experiment. Surely some of my young bats have some good upside for a breakout season though???
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby giant fan » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:47 pm

i think u need to trade halladay for a couple of hitters, and then for the first two months of the season, especially early may, hawk the free agent list for some up and coming pitchers.
giant fan

Friendliness: %

Postby Garry26 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:02 am

Ok this is basically a screwed up Sweeney Plan.

You screwed this up because you got no closers. You MUST trade for closers. The problem is that since you dont have any closers to start with (unless Urbina signs in the USA) no one is going to trade you enough closers to win the Saves category.

Problem #2 is speed. The Sweeney doesnt care about HRs or RBIs, but you MUST have enough speed to win the SB category. The BA, and Runs category will follow. The idea here is to try to win the Runs, SB, and AVG categories. Then your awesome pitching staff can win all the other categories. In a 12 team league, this could net you 98pts max if everything goes perfect. It rarely does though so a high 80s-low 90s score is to be expected.

You will need speed and RPs though. So youll have to get someone. If Dave Roberts or Alex Sanchez is in the FA, grab one or both. Try to trade for a pierre, crawford, or podsednik though. Pray Reyes returns with his legs or youre screwed. If reyes is out, grab a SS off the FA that can get you 15-20SBs.

The key here is the top SP staff, RPs to win Saves, and SBs (Runs and AVG follow)
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Stand Pat » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:46 am

not to mention that we have yet to see if johnson and nomo will be studs or duds this year. i'm hoping studs
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team