New Drafting System Ideas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New Drafting System Ideas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Drafting System Ideas

Postby xandercrews » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 pm

So midway through last season my commissioner put forth a vote that changed the drafting system to 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-3-13-2-14-1. The reason this system was put into place was because one team was tanking the season purpose to have better lottery odds. there are also a couple teams who only set their rosters every few weeks. So when it came down to a vote, the top half of the league voted this in, as anyone who finishes above 9 moves up in the draft now. So that only leaves 5 teams to vote against the rule and about three teams who don't pay attention. The commissioner says he sees why I am frustrated and said that if I can assemble a new drafting system that will be voted in, then it will be done. This is where i need help, I need ideas for a new drafting system that will likely get voted through, yet doesnt hanidcapped that weaker teams as this current system does. Our previous system was:

Teams finishing the season ranked 8-14 will have a shot at the top picks and teams 1-7 will get the bottom 7 picks using the following ballot system:
Team 1 and 8 – 1 ballot
Team 2 and 9 – 2 ballots
Team 3 and 10 – 4 ballots
Team 4 and 11 – 7 ballots
Team 5 and 12 – 11 ballots
Team 6 and 13 – 16 ballots
Team 7 and 14 – 22 ballots

and the new one is:

4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-3-13-2-14-1

14 Team 5X5 Roto. 7 Keepers.
Thanks.
xandercrews Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Drafting System Ideas

Postby flloyd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 pm

I personally think that 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-12-13-14-3-2-1 seems the fairest. I'm assuming the top three are in the money? This should balance the need to discourage tanking while not totally screwing teams that stink.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:18 pm

In the Draft League I am in, we do not base the spring Draft Order on the previous years standings. == We each pick a number between 00 and 99. When everyone has their number in for all to see, a random number is selected. We use the two numbers to the right of the decimal on the Dow-Jones average for a certain day. It is as random as you can get. The closest to it gets his choice of Draft Position and so on down the line.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:00 am

good question - is this for money? it's a great incentive to play hard B-)

not sure i agree with punishing those who finish last. sometimes winning is just not in the cards, and i don't fault someone for intentionally looking to improve their lot next year. its unfortunate that some teams set their rosters once every few weeks... any chance of voting these managers out and giving their teams to other people

what about tweaking the keeper rules? a keeper league should be a decent relief valve for this kind of situation --trading talent to contenders in return for draft picks seems legit to me.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:05 pm

We do 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-4-3-2-1 (Top 4 in the money). I don't think you need to "punish" the last place teams any more than that. This has actually been a very good incentive for teams to play things out - even if "its not in the cards" as the previous poster said, activity will almost always still keep you out of the basement. It has always worked out that the teams that give up and go inactive finish near the bottom in my league. And really, picking 8th the next season doesn't put you at a huge disadvantage even if you do come in last.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Commissioner's Corner