Postby pjalst » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:26 pm

pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any Howard Stern Fans?

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm not a Howard Stern fan, but I am an Artie Lange fan. This is sad news. It smacks of a cry for help--I mean, who tries to commit suicide by stabbing themselves?--and I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Artie is a funny guy and I'm pretty unhappy that he did this.... but not surprised. There's a lot of self-deprecating in his comedy, a lot of self-hatred. Artie always seemed to me like a guy who never got over some past hurt.

Hope he comes through this OK.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:52 pm

I remember hearing an interview with Artie Lange on NPR probably three or four years ago. It was the most revealing, personal interview I've ever heard. A great piece of broadcasting. I don't know if NPR archives or what, but it's worth seeking out if you're at all a fan of Artie Lange, or I suppose of quality radio in general.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm not a Howard Stern fan, but I am an Artie Lange fan. This is sad news. It smacks of a cry for help--I mean, who tries to commit suicide by stabbing themselves?--and I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs.

Back in high school, the father of a guy I played tennis with killed himself by stabbing himself in the leg with a pair of scissors. He was a doctor and knew right where the femoral artery was at. He was dead in about 90 seconds, and his son - the tennis player - was the unfortunate soul who found him first.

He'd accidentally killed a gentleman some years before, and he apparently never got over it.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Addiction is one mother.....
Always sad.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby jfg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:31 pm

His past 4 years on the radio have been a cry for help, maybe longer. It's sad that he surrounds himself with people who make jokes about it and those who enable his addictions and habits rather than people who can truly help him. I know sometimes Howard and Robin say he needs to get help, but it never seems like that they are that serious about it. Hopefully this will be a wake up call not only to Artie but also his friends as well.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:45 pm

Huge Stern fan. Been listening to him for many years and got Sirius as soon as he switched over. It's extremely sad about Artie but fans have seen this coming for some time. It's no coincidence that Artie has been a top dead pool pick for a while now. I have feared the worst since it sounded like Howard was euologizing him on Monday. He really made it sound like he was on his deathbed but today Robin and Tim said that they have spoken to Artie and that he is physically fine. I don't expect him to be a regular ever again though, which is a real shame. The only silver lining is that Howard made it clear that there is no chance of Jackie coming back.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby pjalst » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 pm

StlSluggers wrote:.... He was dead in about 90 seconds, and his son - the tennis player - was the unfortunate soul who found him first.

He'd accidentally killed a gentleman some years before, and he apparently never got over it.

90 seconds is a long time. You think as a doctor he could have found a quicker way.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pjalst » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:...The only silver lining is that Howard made it clear that there is no chance of Jackie coming back.

I'd rather see George Takei become a regular before seeing Jackie come back.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk